Black People Politics : Wyclef Jean President Of Haiti?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Chinelo, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Hip hop artist may have major impact on Haiti politics, but can he pull the country together?

Phrophetic Words? Listen To Brother Farrakhan's Speech regarding this, very good one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ky3yraY1QM

2. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Vision versus experience in election?

“Win or lose, Clef's participation in this election has the potential to change the landscape of Haitian politics,” said his brother, Sam Jean, in an interview with the Christian Science Monitor. “It's going to bring an incredible amount of scrutiny, and that's good for the Haitian people.”

“There are some advantages to this media coverage of Haiti, through this Wyclef Jean candidacy,” Ms. Danto said. “It won't help Mr. Jean. But it is an opportunity for those of us who care to bring the real Haiti narrative to the fore on this media frenzy leverage.”

At least 58 parties and 20 candidates are registered for the presidential race to succeed President Réne Préval, who is barred by constitution from seeking re-election. Voters will also select legislators and local officials as well. Among Mr. Jean's opposition is his uncle, Raymond Joseph, who until Aug. 1, was Haiti's ambassador to the United States. Mr. Joseph resigned to pursue his presidential aspirations, but insists he and his nephew are not running against each other. “We are family. And we won't allow politics to divide,” he said in published reports.

Another candidate is Michel “Sweet Micky” Martelly, a musician and entertainer whose lyrics have poked fun at the Haitian presidency. Nowhere near the celebrity Wyclef, yet popular on the Caribbean island, Mr. Martelly earned the endorsement of Pras Michel, co-founding member of the Fugees with Wyclef, and his cousin.

“I just think that there are candidates that are more qualified than Wyclef at this point right now,” Pras said in an AP interview. “I saw him the other day, but I didn't get a sense of what is the real plan for Haiti. Haiti needs what I call a short term plan and a long term plan. You got 1.2 million people living in tent city right now. What are the plans to get these people out of tent city and into regular civilization?”

“Anybody has a right to run of course, if the elections were open—and they are not at this point,” said Dr. Akinyele Umoja, of the Department of African American Studies at Georgia State University. Wyclef Jean is aligned with reactionary elements in Haiti that vocally supported U.S. and CIA death squads that murdered thousands of Haitians, charged Dr. Uomja.

These death squads played a role in the Bush administration's 2004 coup of the popularly elected government of Mr. Aristide and Wyclef called these people “freedom fighters,” he added.

His uncle, Raymond Joseph, is also a major player in representing the Haitian elite's continued oppression of 90 percent of the Haitian population, Dr. Umoja continued. This is why the current Haitian U.S.-backed government is preventing Lavalas from participating in elections, he said.

In February of 2004, during an interview with MTV music news, Wyclef Jean voiced his support for embattled Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to step down and asked his fans to remain hopeful of a better Haiti. Those comments, detractors say, showed support for the U.S. ouster of the president, but not everyone agrees with that view.

“The country's in an uproar; it's not safe. But for the safety of the country and to stop the violence, it has to be a situation where he steps down. If the president steps down, there will be some form of negotiation with the opposition force,” said Wyclef as Haiti was locked in a political stalemate that had deadly repercussions. The Aristide regime had also received little, if no support from the U.S., as the crisis and violence wore on.

“I don't consider those people rebels,” Wyclef told MTV news. “It's people standing up for their rights. It's not like these people just appeared out of nowhere and said, ‘Let's cause some trouble.' I think it's just built up frustration, anger, hunger, depression.”

Wyclef also asked his fans to understand that the uprising was not simply senseless violence. “What I want people to be clear about is it's not just people chopping up people for no reason. It's on the level of a civil war. People want the president that is currently the state to step down. And him stepping down will let the people make any kind of negotiation to come up with some form of peace,” he said in the midst of the 2004 crisis.

Those comments will likely be thoroughly discussed, dissected and deciphered as Wyclef's campaign goes forward.

“The fact that he is a celebrity, the fact that he has been found on the ground working and has established a connection with the people, does not necessarily mean he will be a good president,” said Dr. Ron Daniels, president of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century and founder of the Haiti Support Project.

“We have to see what his vision is, what he is articulating and what his platform is. This is a serious moment in the history of the country. What his plan is and how he intends to move forward has to be understood.”

Regarding the Wyclef's comments of 2004, Dr. Daniels responded, “I won't say he (Wyclef) is the most politically astute and there is no question that the American government was absolutely wrong in ousting President Aristide, but that is not the whole story,” Dr. Daniels said. “All of us should always be aware of the origins of history. Here, Wyclef was someone on the ground, who saw a situation that needed to be corrected. He did not have the answer, all he saw was his home in crisis.”

In Dr. Daniels opinion, Wyclef made an emotional response minus the politics and wanted a change in his people's existence. And, though he might have been found on the wrong side of the U.S. action, Dr. Daniels continued, “I think Wyclef and Ambassador Joseph through their actions since the earthquake have acquitted themselves well. I am sure they will have to address that time period. I would not have worked with them five years ago, but this is the way history moves.”

“As for Wyclef in particular, when you are building a country you have to work with a broad sector of people even as you build your own political core. Who does he see as assembling around him to make the team that will make up for his lack of political experience? I've never seen experience in and of itself as the sole qualification for office nor celebrity. The vision and platform are the most important things,” Dr. Daniels said.

3. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Possible making of a youth movement

Wyclef believes his presidential run can impact youth and it appears his desire to impact Haiti's youth served as a major reason why he decided to run for office.

“I had to take a position in office so that the youth population in Haiti, which is over 50 percent of the population, we can start to provide a way to get them out of the mess that they are in,” he said, on the Fas a Fas Movement Web site. He is a founder of the Fas a Fas Movement.

“The media will forget Haiti,” the movement's mission statement reads. “They probably already have done. We will not! Activists around the world, young Haitians, and this movement will report what happens, without censorship, without servility. Through this movement the young Haitians, abandoned by the media, will become the media, establishing a permanent observatory of the territory, exposing corruption, other anomalies and injustices, so they will not remain unpunished any more.”

Haitian elections historically have been volatile and the country has a long history of dictatorships, supported by the U.S., followed by years of political turmoil and civil unrest. The November vote is viewed as a key step towards rebuilding the country and its political institutions.

The United Nations has pledged observers and security for the vote and other international bodies have promised a strong monitoring presence.

On Aug. 6, the Organization of American States and the regional umbrella group for Caribbean nations also promised a thorough observer mission to monitor the electoral process, from candidate registration through the proclamation of results.

The estimated cost of holding the election is $44 million, a tab paid primarily through international donors. OAS and CARICOM diplomats have said that this is the most expensive mission ever undertaken by both groups.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Love this move by Clef,I hope he wins!

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Does he represent a new political force that can redirect an impoverished nation decimated by earthquake, economic instability, political and possible civil unrest? Or does his candidacy, as claimed by some critics, serve as a front for Western interests seeking to further exploit the poorest nation in the Americas?

The Final Call is a respected source of journalism, by many divergent groups and ideologies within the global Black community,
    and the dedication to a Pro Black agenda, while still remaining dispassionate in it's reporting,
    causes the journalists of our last edifice of real international journalism
    to ask the serious,

non emotional questions!

The country's most popular political party, Fanmi Lavalas, representing president-in-exile Aristide, is barred from participation in the upcoming election to choose a new president, 10 senators and 99 members of parliament.

Banned by who is the real question, banned by the US that kidnapped Aristede?,
    and why is there no protest or outcry about this most serious infraction to the Self Determination of the first nation to buck white supremacy?

After the excitement of Black folks celebrating Obama, and then seeing the amount of collusion, and corporate favoritism that occured after the election,
    it would not be cruel
    or disinguous,
    to be now skeptical regarding any Sister or Brother running for office, in places were we live

Here is an excerpt from the interview with Esq. mag;

WJ: Oh, yes. Haiti has an opportunity now to start from scratch, and what that means is, we can get real schools in there, there's a chance of getting real hospitals, of teaching a population how to read and write, where kids can get a degree, and actually do something with the degree right now. As far as investment and business, this is the best time to invest in business in Haiti.

ESQ: But let's say this is the moment people on the outside stop paying attention. Can that be reversed? Will Americans keep Haiti on their mind?

WJ: Definitely. I think it'll stay that way that with Bill there. An ex-president of the United States of America — I don't know too many stories like that in the case of history, where a former president goes and decides that he's going to be part of helping run another country. That's big. It don't get bigger than that. You know what I’m saying? That signal is, "Yes, the Americans are there."

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/wyclef-jean-haiti-earthquake-interview#ixzz0wEvql6uW

Now we are well aware of the power of celebrity to get us to go along with something without a full analysis

BUT CLINTON????

the "Negro" president?, the cat that told in so many words for the UN to stand down during the Rwanda, mind control experiments?

the cat that worked with Bush and Barry Seal to ship into Mena Arkansas what would be the birth of the crack epidemic?

the cat that allowed Robert Rubin to create GATT and NAFTA, that threw hundreds of thousands of Black union workers into unemployment,
    and allowed that same clown to destroy Glass Steagall, that made hedge funds, secret derivatives and sub prime loans legal?

How can one apologize to a nation after making folks eat mudpies, in the computer age,
    after he intentionally destroyed the Haitian self sufficiency for food production?

so there are things to be looked at and examined

A politician is a public servant, nothing less nothing more

6. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Hmmmmm....You know brother, i never thought of it as its being shaped in its context.

Do you think Wyclef could be some 'trojan horse" front by the west and europe?

:fyi:

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I am glad you responded

I got ticked about ....... man I grew up around Haitians in Brooklyn, and politically it's kind of a mixed bag

some cabbies to this day will say Aristede was a dawg,
    and some middle class Haitians get irritated when you ask how are Black folks doing after the hurricane

Haiti has a serious very serious class system.

Now also being from Brooklyn the brother is well aware of the threats and challenges,

so I really do not know

But my African eyes do not get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see a brother who is supposed to have a knowledge of self

talking positive about a white man going somewhere to help run the first Black nation after Abbysinia

8. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,632
    You know, i'm starting to get a sense of this could be a orchestrated "Obama"
    HOPE manifesto being drummed up to our brothers and sisters there, maybe..............even.................backed...................by.........the white man........

Would it be a stretch to say "Puppet"........

:10500:

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    There is a strategic reason why the Paul Robeson movie; The Emperor Jones

is not sjhown on network television as well as Ossie Davis, "Cotton Comes to Harlem" or "Good Bye Charleston Blue"
    written both by Chester B Himes

posted before ws Obamas meeting with young Black "leaders" from Africa

but is there a precendent being set, that glorifies and engrandizes, the Corporate Thug image?

a politician that can reject the service of the community for the benefit of the corporate machine, may be the message sent by a Black president that made no promises to the Black community,

maybe this is in the minds of future young Black politicians here that they can be successful by doing the same, and since the "music" and "ent" world gets global coverage,
    who knows how far these concepts,
    that are the antithesis of Malcolm's efforts,
    may become the paradigm of the day in other places on the planet, where we live and try to live?

10. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,632