Black Education / Schools : Writing On The College Level

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by river, Mar 5, 2007.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    hey fambly,

For those of you thinking about going to college or already in college you might want to check out my class on Saturday night 6pmEST.

I taught for a year at California State University. My class was the second phase in a four phase curriculum designed to help new students write on the college level.

The class I have here at Destee is unlike any English class you may have had in high school. I invite you to come and check it out. Be sure to visit my forum in the teacher's lounge and read the class materials I have provided.
    http://destee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=290

Da River

2. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I think this is GREAT. I believe we are all GREAT WRITERS in the COMMUNITY but going through SCHOOL we get DISCOURAGED because of SPELLING and GRAMMAR MISTAKES pointed OUT but NO ONE was AROUND to SPEND TIME (MORE TIME that MOST) whether at HOME and IN THE SCHOOL to HELP US OUT. Even the COMMUNITY somewhat.

I see this as a GREAT WAY to CONNECT once AGAIN.

Thanks.

3. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I never wanted to be a writer but I didn't get complaints about my writing.

But I read A LOT!

The thing was the nuns never suggested the stuff I loved to read A LOT OF.

One of my sisters told me that a nun told her, "Science and religion don't mix."

What I read was SCIENCE FICTION.

But things have changed since before Star Trek and Star Wars. The so called science fiction books aren't as scientific as the used to be. I quit gave up on Star Trek books long ago but decided to try 4 last year. I finished 3 but I wouldn't recommend them.

The first SF book I read is now in public domain and available on the internet.

Star Surgeon by Alan Nourse

It happens to have racism as part of its theme. I noticed that when I was 9 years old.

But the majority of public domain stuff is NOT WORTH READING and sorting it would consume a lot of time. So here is an alternative.

alldaysci-fi.cerizmo (dot) com

um

4. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I just noticed something peculiar.

Level is spelled Leval.

For that to happen in a thread supposedly about college level writing is more than just ironic.

um

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I'm partial to reading the classics, treatises, and the curriculum of Artes Liberales for improving one's writing, reading, and speaking.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It's not ironic at all when the person who started the thread is blind. I don't like to use my poor vision as an excuse, yet I do make mistakes sometimes. But I don't let it stop me from doing things, as anyone here can tell you.

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Prime example of why Black folks don't get far...when one tries to help another there's always someone there to pass judgement and draw doubt, smh, not realizing that you have risen above barriers and accomplished long and short term goals that many have yet to reach.

Sister River, I would like to know if this class jumped off the ground and if so, how did it go and if you'd offer it again (sorry for the loaded questions;)). I commend you for this effort and passion for our people:toast:

8. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    hmmmmm, I wonder how one would surmise that :) Go ahead, state the obvious!!:lol:

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    In comparison to what I do now, public school really blew in imparting a liberal arts education.
    But public schooling was not intended to do as such. :)

10. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Amen, sister River. Thank God, you don't allow ISH like this to get under your skin. Your status is not known to so many here. Your accomplishments are simple ASTOUNDING!! I bow down to you. There are those of us who are sighted, and healthy with everything God gave us in good working condition and haven't done a Hoover Dam's worth of nothing. I hope a big apology is offered soon.