Black Authors : Writer's Block and Getting Published--

monet1027

May 24, 2001
Hello Ms. Thornton--

What would you consider a successful method for overcoming writer's block?

and

Is subsidiary-publishing (self-publication) the easiest way to get published and maintain the integrity of my work?

Delores

Feb 28, 2001
Writers Block

Hi Monet,
Sorry for this late reply. In answer to your concern about Writers Block, I offer this advice. JUST write. Start with your name, places you've been, things you've done, etc. Or you might just stare out the window and write what you see, Is it a peaceful sky? Are birds flying? Is is raining? Is there a breeze? Well, you get the picture. Often times our minds get cloudy and we have to become focused. And in order to do this we must get back to basics. When you start to write sentence by sentence with no story in mind, you'll find that this exercises the brain and stimulates activity that will stir your creative juices. Try it!

As far as publication, there is no easy way! But you can maintain your integrity by demanding a say in the way your project will be handled after a major house has picked it up. I don't know of many people who have been successful with those methods, but the more popular you are the more muscle you have.

It is good to self-publish if you want total control. You have the content, book style, and cover to your specifications. Then later you have the option of shopping your book around for major distribution. Although some authors prefer to remain self-published.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TotalView Black Poetry : writer's block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
N Black Poetry : Writer's Block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
abstract219 Black Haiku : Writer's Block, v.2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
M Black Poetry : Trying to put a crack in my writer's block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
M Black Poetry : Writer’s Block Is Weird Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
T Black Poetry : i don't have writer's block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
NittyGrit Black Poetry : writer's block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Bluewater Black Poetry : Writer Block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
J Black Poetry : Writer's Block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
M Black Poetry : from the halls of writer's block... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
D Black Poetry : Writer's Block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : CAA Signs ‘Good Trouble’ Writer, Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Cameroon : Jailed Cameroon writer who criticized government to be expelled - lawyer Cameroon 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : 12-years-a-slave-writer-defends-absence-of-black-women-on-new-show-about-racism Black People Politics 4
shaka64 Black People : Jay Z quietly posting bail for protesters, writer says Black People Open Forum 4
jamesfrmphilly Black People : black writer for TV...... Black People Open Forum 3
shaka64 Black Entertainment : Another slave movie (Belle) (Black female British writer and film director) Black Entertainment 70
rapchild Black People : Pan African Writer's Association PAWA Black People Open Forum 11
SophiaG Writing Discussion : African American Creative Writer Needed Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : NY Post Writer: Brooklyn Nets Should Be Called 'New York N-----s' Because Of Jay-Z Ownership Black Sports 21
Destee Violaters / Violations : Sister Legit-Writer - You Can't Be Calling Us Names Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Writer, Delight Her... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : Becoming a Writer #2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
R Black Poetry : Becoming a Writer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
abstract219 Black Haiku : Senryu For A Writer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
1poetsought Black Poetry : Writer Right This Wrong Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
C Black People : Stanley Crouch, Synicated Writer for NY Daily Post Black People Open Forum 3
P Black Women : Who has heard of "womanist" writer Kola Boof Black Women 43
G Destee Network : Gmoneyp2010-filmmaker,actor,writer,photographer Destee Network : 1
$$RICH$$ Black Short Stories : Da WRITER .......X- Chapter one Short Stories - Authors - Writing 6
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Happy Birthday legit-writer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
baller Black Poetry : she was a writer... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
B Black Poetry : Beautiful Writer (Nemerful Katubat) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
B Black Poetry : The Midnight Writer(Righter) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Senate Republicans block plans to make elections more secure from foreign interference Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Battle flag carried by black Union troops hits auction block African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Phones and Apps : How to stop robocalls, block numbers on your iPhone, Android and even landline Science and Technology 8
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: jive a lot and strive on the block but like livestock i run into beef // this fake talk goe Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : jive a lot and strive on the block but like livestock i run into beef // a hell of a storm and I'm w Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: In an affair see white walls standing bright and tall and they // Shock my crew and block Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: Wreck wisdom with the mechanism of a clock use hypnotism on the block it’s // A love affair Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Enki Black People : Lets forgive Dylan Roof, but block Farrakhan from our church Black People Open Forum 40
S Health and Wellness : Who told you that condoms block HIV? And why did you believe them? Black Health and Wellness 9
Deacs The Front Porch : New on the Block The Front Porch 5
I Support : Ignore/Block button Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 9
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Scarface - On My Block Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Libya : Conyers call for a bill to block another "Iraq", in Libya Libya 0
Ankhur Black People : Washington's scheme to block Aristede's return Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Wall Of Injustice That Block Reparation Must Come Down!!! Chief Elder Osiris 1
Amnat77 Health and Wellness : Pomegranate juice components block cancer cell migration Black Health and Wellness 2