Would You Use Someone Else's Blood ?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Destee, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've worked United Way Blood Drives before, though i've never given blood, nor have i ever needed anyone else's.

I worked the blood drive as a pleasant diversion to my work day, years ago. It was fun, had cookies, drinks, lunch brought in, could sign folk up, laugh and talk with them, instead of doing my regular work duties way back then. It was fun and nice, but again, i've never actually participated in the blood part of it.

Well, now i have a new experience with someone else's blood. My Sister needed units of blood while here in the hospital, and it gave me a very weak, helpless feeling ... watching those bags of blood drip into her body. It was scary to me, leaving an uneasy feeling in my Spirit, as i watched. I noticed too, that she was very agitated during this time, as though her body knew it was getting something foreign and almost trying to fight it. My Sister couldn't talk or anything, tell me what it felt like, or anything like that ... so all i could go on was her body's reaction. While she had been pretty calm, quiet, prior to that, during, it was another story ... agitated as i said.

It was almost like a horror film to me. Like Frankenstein or something. I think this is because i have absolutely no experience with such. I'm sure my reaction and observation isn't the norm. The United Way, The Red Cross, blood drives, buying blood, etc., is just too big for my experience to be the norm. Plus, we hear all the time of the need for blood, how it saves lives, all of that ... so it must be a good thing ... right?

Anyway ... i'm just sharing, as i've had the chance to experience so many different things of late.

As i said, i've never had a need for anyone else's blood ... i guess if the doctors said i needed it ... i'd take it ... but i'd much rather live a life that never requires it.

I guess everyone would prefer that, including my Sister, but such is not always the case.

Jehovah Witnesses come to mind, and the fact that they can't receive another's blood. Are there other religions / spiritual paths that take this position?

Whatcha think about this Family?

Would you use someone else's blood, if necessary?

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    yes a family member if need be as well i would give for a family member

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    of course i would. i do not even understand why it is an issue.

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I imagine that i would be uneasy about it too. The blood carries dna and memories that may altar or conflict with my own. Although the people i know who have had it done seemed to come out okay, it's that not knowing for sure how it affects my own system that makes me reluctant and uneasy about it. But in a helpless situations that makes all the difference btw living or leaving sooner, i most likely would take my chances at recieving it.

It's a tough call, and i imagine that many who have to endure that process probably feel little unsure too. I also wonder if i feel this way because of the Jehovah witnesses protest against it.

:heart:

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i would not take advice on life and death issues from the witnesses....

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I agree with brother James , it would be my call or family call if i'm not able