Black People : Would you speak to Michael Moore, Amy Goodman or Noam Chomsky in public?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
  2. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I would speak to Michael Moore, I have read his book and enjoy his documentries. he is a truth seeker from what I gather!:)

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I'd speak to anyone that speaks respectfully to me.

:heart:

Destee

4. teamafro

teamafro Active Member MEMBER

Writer
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thank you Destee. This seems so obvious. Being pro-black does not mean being anti-white. Blind racism, no matter what side will never get us anywhere.

5. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    exactly white supremacy and all who support it are the enemy, not white people in general, and to answer the question Im with destee I speak to people who speak to me respectfully.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I speak to people who I have a gut reaction that I can trust.
    Growing up in NYC,
    one learns from childhood
    that every 20th person, coworker, supervisor, stranger, relative, or neighbor, is a con person to their heart;
    and here one has to be carefull becuase the most respectful speaking people you will meet are;
    a used car saleman,
    an attorney,
    a network marketer,
    a repair man,
    a politician standing by the school election site on election day
    , a JW knocking at your door, while you are "" with your significant other,
    a cop trying to make quota by asking you info to set someone up (I have experienced this done to family),
    a developer trying to get you to sell your house.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Ankhur ... i went to New York City one time ... :eeek: ... and the vast majority do / did not speak in passing.

It was so different to me ... so stark ... that i quickly learned ... okay Destee, don't speak to them ... even if your eyes meet! ... :eeek:

It was simply the nature of Manhattan (Grammercy Park area), as i walked it every day ... i was there for a week ... and it never changed.

I have also been in cities (albeit small) where everyone speaks to everyone ... as if you know each other ... warm, kind, and inviting.

But what of your question Brother ... the title of this thread ... would you speak to the people you named?

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    There are levels of trust ... the level required for me to speak to another person kindly ... is way low (for me).

I don't even have to trust that they'll respond in like manner ... because sometimes folk don't.

My speaking ... being kind ... is not dependent upon the response i may receive after the fact ... for it's already happened at that point.

No ... no bunch of trust is needed for me to speak to folk ... be kind ... give them the time of day.

Actually, doing such, gives me more data in regard to the levels of trust we may grow to experience together ... iono ... maybe it's just me.

Love You!

Destee

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    For sure, but please, understand sometimes the coldest stare or action in NYC can come from the warmest most caring person, that was my point!
    In Manhattan, like Gramercy Park area, everything is hustle bustle, and folks are very business like, either looking to make a dollar or spend some!

The best Black neighborhoods to visit, where folks are friendly are Harlem in Manhattan, and in Brooklyn;
    Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Flatbush, East Flatbush, avoid Brownsville unless you know some one there

Here sad to say respectablity in discourse, is ...well lets just say some cultures, rudeness is kind of a regular trademark, but when you get to know them they are the warmest most considerate folks on earth.

So when you are visiting here and someone acts real real nice, watch out, there are folks that have a con nature, almost psychopathic,
    and some are actually real life computer age professional con men and con women, like in the movie "The Sting" that prey on tourists and new immigrants!

Sad to say some parts of Queens, like Sutphin Blvd a person can get hurt just for making eye contact with a Black teen or twenty something. Dangerous place day or night! It's still like the early 90s there.

The racist areas, are relegated to marginal regions like Staten Island and Howard Beach

10. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272