Black Relationships : Would You Share Your Man?

I am not prepared to say what I absolutely wouldn't do in this type of situation. Brother Kannte directed us to a very interesting and deep thread that was started a while ago and based on the discussion that took place in this thread, much of which I contributed to, my thinking about polygamy has definitely changed.

My approach to polygamous relationships is not religious-based, but socially benefitting. I also don't think that having a man translates into "owning" him. If someone thinks of a mate as "my man" or "my woman", then I would hope that the basis for the relationship had already been set and agreed to as monogamous before the couple got serious. The same would hold true for any other form of relationship.

Polygamy has nothing to do with infidelity or cheating. It is more than a sexual relationship, and personally, I see a lot of value in such a relationship that extends beyond an individualistic mindset. If you're the jealous female type and can't bear the thought of "sharing your man', then this is not the relationship for you.

I think the brother who commented on the benefits of polygamy in the African American family structure makes a valid point. But it's a concept that will require some tough barriers to break through due to the way we are socialized in western culture.

More and more, we are gravitating toward "my" this and "my" that....and along with that way of thinking and behaving, unity among our people may never be fully achieved in the way that most Black people talk about.

Queenie :spinstar:

Nita said:
I would not. God gave Adam Eve as a mate. One woman!! He saw that one woman was enough to fill the desires and needs of Adam. Somewhere in the Bible I remember reading where husband and wife are refered to as hands...if man is right, woman is the left. Most of us only have 2 hands, I believe that's all a marriage should consist of...two people...a man and woman. So polygamy would NEVER be an option for me.

I hear you Sis...thanks for responding.

NNQueen said:
I am not prepared to say what I absolutely wouldn't do in this type of situation. Brother Kannte directed us to a very interesting and deep thread that was started a while ago and based on the discussion that took place in this thread, much of which I contributed to, my thinking about polygamy has definitely changed.

My approach to polygamous relationships is not religious-based, but socially benefitting. I also don't think that having a man translates into "owning" him. If someone thinks of a mate as "my man" or "my woman", then I would hope that the basis for the relationship had already been set and agreed to as monogamous before the couple got serious. The same would hold true for any other form of relationship.

Polygamy has nothing to do with infidelity or cheating. It is more than a sexual relationship, and personally, I see a lot of value in such a relationship that extends beyond an individualistic mindset. If you're the jealous female type and can't bear the thought of "sharing your man', then this is not the relationship for you.

I think the brother who commented on the benefits of polygamy in the African American family structure makes a valid point. But it's a concept that will require some tough barriers to break through due to the way we are socialized in western culture.

More and more, we are gravitating toward "my" this and "my" that....and along with that way of thinking and behaving, unity among our people may never be fully achieved in the way that most Black people talk about.

Queenie :spinstar:

Queen, you are a rare sistah indeed...thanks for responding.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back