Law Forum : Would You Represent Yourself in Court

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

I wouldn't advise it unless a person REALLY has ALL their ducks in a row!

And even then, only depending on what kinda case it is.

There is an old law adage which says, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client."

And that's exactly what many people who try this end up being.

cherryblossom,

I sorta agree and then disagree, and here is why. Understanding myself to be an optimist looking for solutions, brings me to move in for a solution, if not, then automatically, we are part of the problem. So, we have a prison movement through Brothers Chat and spear-headed by $$RICH$$, what this says to me is this, why not capitalize upon those brothers that have studied the Law, and allow them to teach us how to defend ourselves.

This is the point, you can't have it both ways, ignorance of the law is no excuse, which means I need to learn me some law, which means, I then can represent myself, right? Right!

My sister friend, there are some sharp brothers incarcerated that have gain all the knowledge needed to represent us before a court of law, that I would trust. But more importantly, these same brothers, if provided a venue(Guest which venue I recommend, yeah you guessed it, Destee.com), in which to excel and pay back through teaching us what, How to represent ourselves in a Court of Law.

And oh by the way, Sisters Chat could also go to work with prison work ascertaining the qualified incarcerated sisters that have put time in on the writ of habes corpus in this system of jurisprudence we live under...Peace In, for real.

What say you cherryblossom?

Last edited:
In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Peace and Blessings Family,

Would you represent yourself in court, and if so, under what circumstances?

I mean ... i'd figure it would make a difference what kind of court case you were defending.

I remember the Brother in New York, that killed the folk on the subway, he represented himself.

Under what circumstances would you represent yourself?

:heart:

Destee

Great thread, great forum you have put together here Sister Destee, for real.

Last edited:
cherryblossom,

I sorta agree and then disagree, and here is why. Understanding myself to be an optimist looking for solutions, brings me to move in for a solution, if not, then automatically, we are part of the problem. So, we have a prison movement through Brothers Chat and spear-headed by $$RICH$$, what this says to me is this, why not capitalize upon those brothers that have studied the Law, and allow them to teach us how to defend ourselves.

This is the point, you can't have it both ways, ignorance of the law is no excuse, which means I need to learn me some law, which means, I then can represent myself, right? Right!

My sister friend, there are some sharp brothers incarcerated that have gain all the knowledge needed to represent us before a court of law, that I would trust. But more importantly, these same brothers, if provided a venue(Guest which venue I recommend, yeah you guessed it, Destee.com), in which to excel and pay back through teaching us what, How to represent ourselves in a Court of Law.

And oh by the way, Sisters Chat could also go to work with prison work ascertaining the qualified incarcerated sisters that have put time in on the writ of habes corpus in this system of jurisprudence we live under...Peace In, for real.

What say you cherryblossom?

Clyde, you made some good points; but I did qualify my statement by saying "only depending on what kinda case it is" and 'REALLY having one's ducks all in a row.'

However, I also must add that those same brothers and sisters with all of that law knowledge have had plenty of time to read up while they're in JAIL; and they also have a concentrated goal for that level of study and research, i.e. their own cases.

Also, your suggestion for Sisters Chat is wonderful! I'll be sure to pass that along tomorrow night...God willing and the creek don't rise.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Family!

Clyde, you made some good points; but I did qualify my statement by saying "only depending on what kinda case it is" and 'REALLY having one's ducks all in a row.'

However, I also must add that those same brothers and sisters with all of that law knowledge have had plenty of time to read up while they're in JAIL; and they also have a concentrated goal for that level of study and research, i.e. their own cases.

Also, your suggestion for Sisters Chat is wonderful! I'll be sure to pass that along tomorrow night...God willing and the creek don't rise.

cherryblossom,

You are correct, and there was no attempt to take anything away from your quote, because it was so on point; it was just the horse I decided to ride in on, so to speak:). For sure, your qualifier was-'REALLY having one's ducks all in a row.', for real. Lets make it happen......lol@cherryblossom...if the creek don't rise.

Last edited:
I would NEVER hire a lawyer, but I hope not to be in court at all.

I do agree, if you aren't on your stuff, you probably would be better off, staying far away from the courts, or.... hiring someone.

Consider this though:

"BAR attorneys FIRST duty it to courts, not client"- Corpus Juris Secundum, Chapter 7, Section 4

"Attorneys are officers of the court." Shelsor v. Kaiser

When using an attorney one makes you a client, and thus a ward of the state.

Clients are wards of the court." Corpus Juris Secundum, Chapter 7, Sections 2, 3

Wards of the court are infants and persons of unsound mind." Davis Committee v. Loney

So pretty much they are saying those who need to be represented are dummies, I think it a definitely a good thing to learn law, I've been studying it for the last 2 years and its a lot, but worth it..

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back