Law Forum : Would You Represent Yourself in Court

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 25, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Would you represent yourself in court, and if so, under what circumstances?

I mean ... i'd figure it would make a difference what kind of court case you were defending.

I remember the Brother in New York, that killed the folk on the subway, he represented himself.

Under what circumstances would you represent yourself?

:heart:

Destee

2. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Um, no

Only under dire, extreme, or prohibitive circumstances would I recommend representing yourself in a court of law. No matter how well versed you are in case law, statute law and may also happen to know the circuit judges, will your odds of winning be in your favor if you represent yourself. Legal Aid is available in most states, and here you can find yourself a decent lawyer, if you're familiar with who's who. Of course the service isn't free, it simply covers part of the cost of the lawyer for low income people. So you may pay 1/3 of the hourly rate.

The biggest challenge to self-representation is in my opinion, navigation of the system, knowing procedure. Knowledge of the law is good, but even armed with that, there is still a process of submissions, applications, and other nuances that can change the court ruling, and ultimately your future!
    So, it is my recommendation to get a lawyer, and get one that is well known, highly respected in their field, successful in most of their cases (no one needs a loser for a lawyer) and connects with you. That can be a tall order when suddenly faced with charges and looking to free yourself from serious charges.

There's also a legal MLM, I don't have it's name right now, but for $40 / month it allows you access to phone consultations and lawyer referrals. There are inside bonuses depending on your membership.

Even when you have a lawyer though, it's like having a doctor. No one knows your case better than you. So, with that said, your lawyer is capable of representing you only to the degree of their expertise and your ability to comprehend the proceedings, what's at stake, and how to negotiate.

In the U.S, i have read that too many criminal proceedings involving African Americans and state appointed attorneys, are plea bargained. While this is time saving, and cost-effective it's not also in the best interest of the defendant. Getting a conviction is not as easy as it appears on television, the standard of beyond a shadow of a doubt, is implicit in it's mandate.

Civil proceedings are pretty basic, and like everyone can see on shows like Judge Judy, Joe Brown, etc... you can take your story before the court, be heard and get a result. Even in civil court hearings it's best to get some kind of legal consultation regarding your particular case.

In high school there are (at least where I lived) introductory courses about law, that briefly familiarize you with procedure and current civil laws, etc... it's a nice sounding board so that you know what's what.
    Everyone ought to have some basic knowledge about their Federal and state laws.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you Sister for sharing !!!! Great Stuff !!! :toast:

Hourly Rates $170 - $260 !!!! See ... whew. Who can afford that?!!! :eeek:

At those prices ... i'd hafta represent myself ... gosh ... see yall in 5-10 ... :bye:

You've given us a lot to think on Sister ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ... THANK YOU !!! :love:

:heart:

Destee

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I wouldn't advise it unless a person REALLY has ALL their ducks in a row!

And even then, only depending on what kinda case it is.

There is an old law adage which says, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client."

And that's exactly what many people who try this end up being.

5. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    Following your directions but selecting your post, created this quick reply, which is to say, to whom was your post intended?

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

cherryblossom,

I sorta agree and then disagree, and here is why. Understanding myself to be an optimist looking for solutions, brings me to move in for a solution, if not, then automatically, we are part of the problem. So, we have a prison movement through Brothers Chat and spear-headed by $$RICH$$, what this says to me is this, why not capitalize upon those brothers that have studied the Law, and allow them to teach us how to defend ourselves.

This is the point, you can't have it both ways, ignorance of the law is no excuse, which means I need to learn me some law, which means, I then can represent myself, right? Right!

My sister friend, there are some sharp brothers incarcerated that have gain all the knowledge needed to represent us before a court of law, that I would trust. But more importantly, these same brothers, if provided a venue(Guest which venue I recommend, yeah you guessed it, Destee.com), in which to excel and pay back through teaching us what, How to represent ourselves in a Court of Law.

And oh by the way, Sisters Chat could also go to work with prison work ascertaining the qualified incarcerated sisters that have put time in on the writ of habes corpus in this system of jurisprudence we live under...Peace In, for real.

What say you cherryblossom?

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Great thread, great forum you have put together here Sister Destee, for real.

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Clyde, you made some good points; but I did qualify my statement by saying "only depending on what kinda case it is" and 'REALLY having one's ducks all in a row.'

However, I also must add that those same brothers and sisters with all of that law knowledge have had plenty of time to read up while they're in JAIL; and they also have a concentrated goal for that level of study and research, i.e. their own cases.

Also, your suggestion for Sisters Chat is wonderful! I'll be sure to pass that along tomorrow night...God willing and the creek don't rise.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Family!

cherryblossom,

You are correct, and there was no attempt to take anything away from your quote, because it was so on point; it was just the horse I decided to ride in on, so to speak:). For sure, your qualifier was-'REALLY having one's ducks all in a row.', for real. Lets make it happen......lol@cherryblossom...if the creek don't rise.