Black People : Would you move to Africa?

I'm glad Keita Kenyatta and Da Flash got on the same page as to who said what. My post was not meant to debate the issue of rebuilding Africa. I simply wanted to know who would go there to live. Not many who have responded to the post answered this question. In my opinion America is great. My parents, grand parents, great grand parents, and great great grand parents made it so and I will not deny myself of taking advantage of what they made possible nor will I not teach my children what their ancestors struggled and died for so they can take advantage of what America has to offer in spite of its historical issues.

I have to disagree. Though Brother Keita Kenyatta apologized, I think that he aptly criticized you earlier.

Surely he combined some comments for Heartbeat and you, but with all due respect, going to Africa is about building in Africa.

"Retirement" is the end of working. It's lounging and relaxing. It's Africa supporting you, not you supporting Africa.

Africa is not a vacation spot but a homeland. You implicitly wrote that you would leave your family in America. That's not building and re-building in Africa. That's visiting when you're no longer able to support Africa.

That's worth condemning.

Let's be real with this.

Because the most important aspect of culture is the reproduction of the family. If your family reproduces in America, it's a strike against Africa. You going to Africa alone is not entertaining the most important aspect of culture.

HOTEP
so as i am old and retired i am forbidden to go?

Somehow I can't wrap my head around why going to Africa as a place of leisure (if that is ones plan but, not necessarily mine.) is a bad thing. I can definately see that if someone were to go and think of themselves as superior or looked down on the locals how that would be a negative thing but, that's not what I'm about.

If I were to go to Africa to live I would take my wife and yes leave my grown children here if that's what they want. It would be great if they wanted to come but in all honesty, maybe one would have interest.

My plan is to go check it out and, if I could get over the culture shock, see where might be a good place to live and help out the people, in perticular the young in any way possible.

I know to some this train of thought is different, maybe even naive or unrealistic but I don't see a downside to Blacks who want to go to Africa and help out. As long as it doesn't have the attachments of the so-called help of the past, i.e. you have to believe in my god, you have to let me be in control of your resources, I am civilized and you're a savage and all that mess.

Maybe I do not understand your imagery. But one time some Sister showed me this rap song:

She insisted that I would like the end (skip to 6:00). For which I responded:

"I already wholly watched it. It ends with an image of calm relaxation, but such a lifestyle is neither desirable nor probable: that's a European's fantasy; indeed, the parallel image of a White man sandwiched between beautiful Black women has been a staple in European tradition since our enslavement."

A return to Africa is to rebuild in Africa.

That task is not for the retired.

Your position simply reminds me of an "American" visiting Africa, rather than a returning African.

But never mind. To each his own.

so as i am old and retired i am forbidden to go?

It might be that I misread "DaFlash" but retiring somewhere and being retired are two different things (and you know how we don't universally use our language in the same way).

For instance, if someone says that they are retiring to Florida, you don't imagine them rebuilding Florida.

However, a retired person can still be active in our liberation.

One issue with conversation is we mostly see our prejudices in what's written, then build off of that. We need to be clear.

"Retiring" in Africa--as in--going to Africa to lounge--like is seen in that Dead Prez video (or a variant)--is NOT a liberating activity and as such is an enslaving activity.

DaFlash remarks that he will immerse himself in the cultures. But as he remarked it's just a naive viewpoint. There's the language barrier, there's the productivity barrier, there's the . . .. Overall, that's 'passive.' That too is not liberating (though isn't necessarily enslaving.)

Truly, going back to Africa isn't a matter of self-education but African liberation. This involves more than a philosophy of retirement.

But, jamesfrmphilly, I thought you already decided against visiting?

Are you asking the question for someone else? Why?

I'm glad Keita Kenyatta and Da Flash got on the same page as to who said what. My post was not meant to debate the issue of rebuilding Africa. I simply wanted to know who would go there to live. Not many who have responded to the post answered this question. In my opinion America is great. My parents, grand parents, great grand parents, and great great grand parents made it so and I will not deny myself of taking advantage of what they made possible nor will I not teach my children what their ancestors struggled and died for so they can take advantage of what America has to offer in spite of its historical issues.

With due respect, your ancestors wanted to return to Africa. And if not that, not live with Europeans--and never did they think that America was 'great.'

Let's get this straight.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back