Black People : Would you fight in this 'war' if you could?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    I've heard that the levels of patriotism are so great right now that most Americans would volunteer to fight. I was just wondering if you'd do that.

I don't think I would, simply because I don't know how, can't stand pain and didn't even fight when I was a child in school.

Would you volunteer to fight in this 'war' if you could?

2. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll answer that with a simple answer...

No... :D I don't think i could. First off.. I probably wouldn't live through it and secondly..if I survived i know my mental will never be the same again. I can't stand the thought of watching people suffer and in pain.. so no. I couldn't do it...

3. diva08

diva08 Well-Known Member MEMBER

elementary music teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope

i'm with y'all. they wouldn't want me. i'm a lover, not a fighter, and i'll punk out for a rib sandwich.

i don't believe that fighting solves anything anyway...but i'm a wierdo -- they wouldn't listen to me

d08

4. diva08

diva08 Well-Known Member MEMBER

elementary music teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops

that was meant as a response to destee's question. sooorrrryyyyy....

but since i do have the floor, i think that a violent response will only open pandora's box. at this time we can trust no one. that was unexpected. think if we have "war" there are more chances for those "sneak" attacks. we think we know everything-- well wake up call - 911 - we don't.
    i wish we could just chill for a bit and think about this plan a bit more. folks are still grieving and acting out of anger and pain. we are not healed enough as a nation - though we are supportive as ever - to really and truly effectively do what needs to be done.
    to all those affected -- you have my prayers.

d08

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thank you Shaneak and Diva for responding.

Diva ... not a rib sandwich gurl ... :lol:

The forum has the capability of merging threads but I'd never tried
    it until now ... and it worked! So Diva, your post(s) are here where
    they should be now.

<still :lol: @ that rib sandwich>

Destee

6. nexis5

nexis5 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    War

Nope. When they zig, I zag.

I would much rather watch/invenst in stocks of defense/surveillance companies who have big contracts with the U.S. government.

Dont believe the boob tube. More power to those who can differentiate weather the US is being led into a war, a crusade or coalition on terrorism.

In the distant future some US soldier will tell his story if the US invades AFGANISTAN. I was listing to ALI back during Viet Nam.

7. imhotep35

imhotep35 Active Member MEMBER

physician
    Ratings:
    +2
    War against whom? or what?

Destee proposes and interesting question. It is one which I have considered since the so-called declaration of war on terrorism. I served in Vietnam although I did not believe we had any real threat against our way of life. As a physician, I saw my obligation to preserve life in any arena. Today we have a unique set of circumstances.
    The "spin" has been truly artful. The mass hysteria and indignation all provide wind beneath the wings of Bush and his policies - which are clearly much more broad than the present crisis. The fact remains that all those who executed the acts of terror on Sept. 11 are dead, along with the victims. If a similar act occurred and one of my sons carried it out, would his mother and I be taken out and shot? I think you see what I mean.
    The present patriotic furor will soon be replaced with reality of day to day living. I would prefer that someone write a new song entitled: God Forgive America. One receives blessings when one admits their own wrongdoings and repents. As old folk used to say: "..the pot can't call the skillet black.."
    War is not the answer. The great potential of this country still waits to be achieved. I would that all the leaders in the world could attain a level of maturity that would allow for peaceful negotiation, conciliation while preserving one's autonomy and realizing that we are all inhabitants of the same globe.
    It is inherently wrong that old men send young men to war...for reasons of national pride, greed or some primal need to rattle sabers in order to assert one's masculinity. It smacks of the days of the Roman gladiators.
    Our longstanding foreign policies have gotten us into this mess and it will take a change in these policies to get us out of it. The war is gratuitous, inconsequential and will solve nothing. Demonizing Osama bin Laden may work for the moment, but we are dueling over ideas, not a person or a thinker.