Food Discussion : Would you consider yourself a good cook?

Yes, i can throw didddooowwwnnnnnn

but no beef or pork
on my fork
just some chicken n' fish on the list
but mostly fish cause that's my favorite dish

Growing up my older brother and sister would cook in their early teens because they were taught at home as well as in school, i think in a class called Home economics. When i got to their age they no longer had that class in the schools, so i had to learn by watching them and then experimenting on my own because they were running the streets so much and moms was working or at night school at that time, so i was home alone......:cook: dang near burning the house down....lol

I first mastered box macaroni and cheese with cheeseburgers after i mastered grilled hot dogs. From there i moved on to everybodies favorite BAKED CHICKEN. I would put a whole chicken in the over and set the timer. Go down the block play a few games of full court ball with my friends, then dissapear in thin air. Run back up the block to my home, run up the stairs, open the door and run into the kitchen just in time for the timer to go :bell:.

One day, some of my friends asked my older brother where it is that i'd be sneaking off too. My brother said: "oh, if he takes off like that without saying anything it could only mean one thing. He must have a bird in the oven"......:rofl:

Trust me, after they found that out some of my hungry -ss friends used to try to keep an eye on me so they could follow me home when i was ready to dip..

Be honest about it now...

I'm a far better baker than a cook...though, I enjoy both.
I live and die by my Kitchaid mixer <- THE best damned mixer, period! *laugh*
I like to make things from scratch. Makes me feel like I'm breathing life into a dying art-form.
But, to me, cooking is an art and a science.

I'm working on becoming a more well-rounded cook. I want to be able to walk into that kitchen and bust out anything. I have lots of cook-books.
Personal recommendations:
- 'Chef Prudhomme. Cast iron dutch over? Not optional.
- 'Joy of Cooking'...the bible for cooks.
- Anything 'Julia Child'.

The one thing that I deeply regret? My college roommate was Liberian. She always cooked and I never took the recipes from her. D*mn it. If you eat 'black' Cajun/Creole foods like gumbo? You can definitely see the African influence.
What I wouldn't give for some palm butter...or cassava, right now.
She made a dish with okra and it was delicious...and I don't even like okra!
I never ate quite so much rice as I did when we roomed together, either.

I have no earthly idea why more Africans aren't restaurant owners. If broken-english speaking individuals of Asian descent can flock down here w/o a pot to piss in and throw 'oriental cuisine' on every corner?
It can't be that much harder for anyone else.
I once asked her this. She never gave much of an answer. Africans open 'international/grocery stores' but they won't open restaurants. I don't get it.

Let me finnnnne out how to cook those dishes. *laugh* I'd throw a restaurant up in a heart beat and it would kill these 'soul food'/mexican/asian establishments around here, I'm telling you.

I like to make things from scratch. Makes me feel like I'm breathing life into a dying art-form.

I'm working on becoming a more well-rounded cook. I want to be able to walk into that kitchen and bust out anything. I have lots of cook-books.

The one thing that I deeply regret? My college roommate was Liberian. She always cooked and I never took the recipes from her. D*mn it. If you eat 'black' Cajun/Creole foods like gumbo? You can definitely see the African influence.

I have no earthly idea why more Africans aren't restaurant owners. If broken-english speaking individuals of Asian descent can flock down here w/o a pot to piss in and throw 'oriental cuisine' on every corner?
I once asked her this. She never gave much of an answer. Africans open 'international/grocery stores' but they won't open restaurants. I don't get it.

Let me finnnnne out how to cook those dishes. *laugh* I'd throw a restaurant up in a heart beat and it would kill these 'soul food'/mexican/asian establishments around here, I'm telling you.

That is one good thing about Los Angeles. Plenty of Ethiopian restaurants, along with Jamsican and vegan but it seems that other African groups here don't have the numbers which would support more African restaurants. African Americans don't support such ventures, for the most part.my Dad had a restaurant in the 70s and early 89s where he sold mix if soul food and African cuisine from all over the continent. But he was based in Refondo Beach and most of his clientele were white. My Dad could cook darn near anything.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back