Black Education / Schools : Would a segragated educational system,based on race be beneficial to us?

Would a segragated educational system,based on race be beneficial to us?

• Yes

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • NO

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Why give up what we fought for.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I lern better with whites.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is all well and good, but our history is systematically being phased out of the public schools. There is less black history being taught today,than it was when I went to school. Decades ago,a sista I was seeing had a son in high school. He and other black students wanted to have a black history class. Their point was,you have white history,and other classes devoted to other races. After a few weeks of the principle beating around the bush,he finally told them that if they wanted to learn Black history;the had to go elsewhere after school. It was some community center,I forget what. But that is what they were told.

Sorry to say,out school system is broken,and has been for decades. Dr Steve Perry has the answer,what is wrong with following his model?

Peace!

I'd rather we follow the Finnish model of education.They outperform a lot of the world because they dedicate a lot more relative resources to improving their educational system and maintaining performance. I'd agree that we're skimping on a lot of subjects. Our performance in science and math are pretty bad, yet our students seem to score the highest in terms of self-described confidence levels.

I see no reason why an overhaul of the current system can't improve offerings overall. Even in places that don't necessarily have access to human resources to teach specialized subject matter, I think we could come up with some distance learning solutions.

As for an education in History, it's all taught pretty poorly in my opinion. It's also very unlikely that other races get a better treatment either, imho. Most schools I've had experience with tend to group that into World History, if it exists at all. Only one public school I know of offers some pretty rich offerings in that regard, and their model shows it's possible. This was in a county that was 64% Black and it didn't require segregation.

Brother saying segragation is good is like saying a man raping his wife is cool

What a bad analogy. A you aware that the black race fared better when we were segregated? As soon as we were allowed to mingle with the white man and shop in his store,our economic base in the black communities went also. This is what makes your comparison a bad one.

there is a world of difference between the term segregation and seperation
:eek::eeek::eeek:

It is very obvious that you don't know that racial segregation is the separation of people into their particular racial groups.

Now me where these two are a world apart? But first...read this.

seg·re·ga·tion/ˌsegriˈgāSHən/Noun

1. The action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.
2. The enforced separation of different racial groups in a country, community, or establishment. More »
Now, show me the "world of difference" between the two.

I'd rather we follow the Finnish model of education.They outperform a lot of the world because they dedicate a lot more relative resources to improving their educational system and maintaining performance. I'd agree that we're skimping on a lot of subjects. Our performance in science and math are pretty bad, yet our students seem to score the highest in terms of self-described confidence levels.

I see no reason why an overhaul of the current system can't improve offerings overall. Even in places that don't necessarily have access to human resources to teach specialized subject matter, I think we could come up with some distance learning solutions.

As for an education in History, it's all taught pretty poorly in my opinion. It's also very unlikely that other races get a better treatment either, imho. Most schools I've had experience with tend to group that into World History, if it exists at all. Only one public school I know of offers some pretty rich offerings in that regard, and their model shows it's possible. This was in a county that was 64% Black and it didn't require segregation.

You make good points, and I really don't disagree with any of them. I'm just spit balling,looking for ways to help our kids that are in dire straits. Also,I know I'm looking at a complex problem in a simplistic way. There are many things that contribute to the situation our kids are in. You have communities where very little of the taxes paid actually gets to the schools. Those schools suffer due to lack of excellent teachers, and lack of caring students and parents. They also suffer from lack of good safe facilies and educaional resources.

Parents/parent need to be just as concerned about their children's education if not more so than the school. Any child can learn at any school if they are taught how to properly do so, in some communities it may take more effort than others, but if parents encourage a strong work ethic in their children, they will thrive no matter where they go to school. I get so tired of seeing white after white come in the firm looking for a job,while the brutha goes to the light industrial and labor jobs. Also,I hate being the only black where ever I go,that just ain't right. But that is my cross to bare.

Peace!

This is all contingent on your zip code. I live in a middle class Black neighborhood; not colored/white, not mixed. 95% of the teachers and administrators in my zip code are Original. Therefore I don't have said issues.

I did not grow up in the state I currently live. My mother was an educator for 40 years. She integrated her district and within 10 years it was all Black as well. I attended private school from K-12. I NEVER had a Black teacher/administrator/bus driver/janitor/etc. It wasn't until I was in HBCU college that I saw the difference. Superimposed with my lily white grad school. So..... Move, or put your child in a all-Black private school.

First,move to where? Honestly,this answer is what those say when they have been as fortunate as you. Not everybody can do as you say,and I'm sure you know that so why say it?

Question... Had your son's teacher been Black and done the same thing, would be as annoyed?

Seriously, are you answering a question with a question?

I don't think segregation, in and of itself, is the answer. As long as we continue to exist in an integrated society where we compete for employment with/against other races of people, or build businesses that compete for business within an integrated society, we need to start at an early age with the ability to compete in an education environment.

Segregated education is not, in and of itself, bad either. There are segregated schools that are among the best performing schools in the country AND there are segregated schools that are among the worst performing schools in the country. The determining factor or shall I say the common denominator is not segregation but the level of commitment to excellence in education of the administration, teachers, parents, & students. Black students who have a commitment to excellence in education and who are surrounded by people who share and encourage that commitment can do well in either a segregated or an integrated setting.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back