Black Education / Schools : Would a segragated educational system,based on race be beneficial to us?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Enki, Jul 29, 2011.

?

Would a segragated educational system,based on race be beneficial to us?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. NO

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Why give up what we fought for.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I lern better with whites.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I feel this particular type of segregation done the right way could be beneficial in educating our race. I base this on my own personal experience. When I was in the 5th grade,my regular teacher(who was white) go sick. She was off for about two weeks,my sub was this beautiful black sista. She had a fro,earrings,bracelets,necklaces,and wore some kind of African garment everyday. She taught us what the school want her to teach us, But,she took it upon her self to teach us something about ourselves also. She is the reason I know how to count from one to ten in Swahili to this very day.

Now back to my point...

After the Civil War, Southern lawmakers and educators pre-determined that freed blacks were stupid, incorrgible and incapable of understanding their ways. Whites assimilated the Native Americans, Asians and Latinos. They did so with methods of coercion, intimidation, and force. These peoples learned to accept being "Americanized", now I'm not knocking this too much. Because on some level,in some way, we all are Americanized. The difference is, are you Americanized while at the same time accepting second class citizenship?

There are two things we have to keep in mind. One is that the education is doomed to fail,it is designed that way. Second, The white man has been fighting to keep us dumb and illiterate for centuries.

Oh come on Enki..we have schools also,and we have a choice.

And you are correct,but I've seen schools in predominately black areas get treated, and provided for differently that schools in predominately white areas.

When African slaves tried to educate themselves, they were killed. After being free, and we built schools, whites burned them.When we tried to be Christians, our churches were burned. Slaveowners killed off the educated blacks to keep their servants illiterate and docile. Whites killed off black preachers to keep blacks from finding a "belonging" or kinship with one another. Southern whites incorporated fearsome images of Denmark Vesey and Nat Turner as "reasons" to deny blacks education and their humanity. They didn't want their "star pupils" to end up betraying them.

But we did eventually get our own. All black schools began their rich history following the Reconstruction Era. For example Fisk University,Spelman, and Morehouse College to name a few. Institutions like these helped produce cultural icons, like Nikki Giovanni and MKL. When implemented in the right way, all black schools proved beneficial to shaping black students for life.

Peace!

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Jurists, attorneys, and students of the common law in England formed their own school (Inns of Court) after the universities, under the charters of the Catholic Church, forbade the teaching of English Common Law.

Catholics formed their own schools due to the biases and prejudices of the Protestant-formed public schools here in the US.
    Jews have their own schools that teach their faith.
    Muslims here in the US are forming their own schools to teach their faith.

With regard to public school education, there is nothing government can't do for twice the cost, half as well ....

3. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    So maybe we need to do the same, Like DR.Steve Perry. His school is regarded as being the top school in the nation,and it's 96% black with a 100% graduation rate. But look at what the whites are telling him. Lets white kids in,or we'll shut you down.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/10/obrien.ct.school.integration.cnn?iref=allsearch

Peace!

4. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    If you accept benefits from the State, expect to be regulated.

The benefits are the "free cheese".
    The regulations are the "mouse trap".

The power of the purse strings ....

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    If we don't teach our children who they are, They will!

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Isn't it already? Go into any Black neighborhood school and see if it's not already segregated. White schools too....

Has it been beneficial?

7. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Segregated, yes. Controlled solely by Nubians for Nubians, not so much ....

8. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Do you think this bit of logic is applied across the board? Well let me tell you,it's not. If guidelines such as this were followed, the predominately black schools would be on par with the predominately white schools out where I live. I've designed schools for both,and I see how black schools get the bare minimum, while white schools get things that are overkill. White schools get this without anybody marching, or protesting. But they do protest when their kids are slated to be bussed to predominately black schools. When this happens, you know they give the school district an address that allows their child to go to the white school, and the district and state knows it.

But with us,we settle for to get the benefit of the cheese,we have to accept the trap. And that is where they know they have us. This brutha sees the real problem, and he says what the problem is. That school is meant for the black students who needs it. Whites always complain that we need to help ourselves,and when we do,they want to throw rules at us. Rule that they themselves don't follow.

Peace!

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Where you live is not a fair representation of everywhere. Out here,you only have all white schools when you get out into the boonies.

10. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I uphold what I stated.

If you desire to do things as you like free from government interference, don't accept the "free cheese" (funding).
    The logic applies even for those who are unaware of it.

When you reach for the dollars, there are strings attached.

There is always free cheese in a mouse trap. There is "free cheese" across the board from banking, education, etc.
    Actually for many schools that are predominantly African-American, more money is spent per student than at other schools. The aforementioned is speculative until you verify it for yourself by investigating the books of the school and district.

The students may not receive the funding, but someone is getting it.

Assuming these schools that are predominantly AA are underfunded, they are still under control of someone else.

Home schooling is still an option. More AAs are doing this more than ever. What about the many AA churches? Couldn't schooling be done by the churches like say ... Catholic schools ?

That school is still funded by tax payer dollars and subject to control by the Department of Education, the State, and the Board of Education.

To put this in more dignified terms, "He who accepts the benefit suffers its burden". That's a maxim of law right there.

If one desires freedom (and control), one must forgo benefits proffered by others. The benefits are the means of subjugation. Subjugation means a loss of agency.

Let's face facts here, we exist in a system not designed for our benefit or well-being, but there is still enough breathing room for us to create those systems for our benefit.

In the past when Europeans did not wish to worship in the same house as AAs, AAs formed their own churches.
    Why can't this formula be repeated with schools?

Something else to consider is that rights are created and maintained by "sustained combat". There is more than enough examples in history to support the aforementioned. To appeal to the conscious of your adversary (or belligerent) is not something I would hold my hat on.

Don't expect the adversary to let your AA children go so easily either with a per capita benefit of anywhere from $5,000 - $10,000 per student depending on the district.