Brother AACOOLDRE : Words on Rosa Parks

AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
I’m sad at the recent passing of Rosa Parks, the Mother of the contemporary Civil Rights Movement. Martin L. King would have been an obscure unknown preacher’s son hadn’t Mrs. Parks refuse to concede to racial segregation in 1955 in the state of Alabama. It must be noted that other similar women preceded Rosa Parks in their protest against racism in public transportation but the NAACP didn’t wish to use them for lawsuits in the courts because she was pregnant without being married. A teenager was also looked over because her father was an alcoholic. Another woman was protesting a classmate who was accused of raping a white woman. All of these women had protested in 1955 before the world heard of Mrs. Parks. The inner social class structure may have been the culprit or the desire to win public hearts and minds.

Several years ago I attempted to lobby City Hall to rename Francis Street after Rosa Parks. With the help of local Barbershops, I collected many signatures on petition forms I personally wrote out. Unfortunately, my efforts were criss-crossing other attempts to rename Francis after Martin L. King. The City of Jackson supported renaming it after King but outside the city wouldn’t cooperate. Maybe in the future we can find streets for both of them to be honored for their contributions.

In 2002 Director, Ice Cube released the movie Barbershop in which the comedian, Cedric the entertainer, argues that Mrs. Parks gets too much credit for the 1955-56 Montgomery bus boycott. Cedric thinks Parks is deified because she was affiliated with the NAACP while other ordinary freedom-fighters were forgotten. Kareem Abdul -Jabbar, former pro-basketball star wrote a book Black Profiles in Courage said the lynching of Emmett Till in 1955 in Mississippi was the catapult for the Civil Rights Movement. The online encyclopedia Wikipedia says that the killing of Till was a key event that energized the Civil Rights Movement. I think all the events worked together in harmony to coordinate the historic attack on the “separate but equal” law that was supposed to have been obliterated by the 1954 Brown v. School Board Supreme court decision in 1954.

In 1998 the rap Outkast was sued for calling a song Rosa Parks saying a chorus:
“Ah-ha, hush that fuss
Everybody move to the back of the Buss”.
This was a sad inner cultural battle within the black community forgetting that we owe so much to Mother Parks. Outkast later apologized and the U.S Supreme Court allowed Parks to sue Outkast label for its insensitive song targeted against her.
May the memory of Mother Parks never be forgotten and not appreciated.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back