Black People : WORDS HURT? I DON'T GET IT

Cedric Denson said:
Family:

I know that words can hurt, but doesn't that depend on the person? Because I believe that Words only hurt IF YOU LET THEM. I mean throughout my lifetime, I have been called everything from a "Charcoal dark @$$ n***a to a funny-talking stupid m***** f*****.

With that being said, for some reason, they never hurt me. However, when those people took action and started plucking me in the head, hitting on me, and such, THAT HURT! Name-calling NEVER hurt me, no matter who you were. In today's society many people call many people names. Sometimes it does not make a big deal because you are joking.

Now I ask you family:

HOW FAR CAN SOMEONE GO TO HURT YOU WITH WORDS?

Just out of curiousity, because God made me to put up with it, and he always took care of my actions for me, so I have nothing to say to anyone who hurts me with words; for God takes care of them for me.

CD

Not a lot of people get hurt by words unless the word itself is offensive, or if it affects the person in any way. However when talking about words that can "offend" someone, it depends on the level of tone, and what's being said. For example...if someone were to call me an oreo, I would not be hurt, but I would be offended. First, because, I'm not a cookie, two, because it's insulting to me as an African American. Or, I can just react badly to the way someone reacts to me. For example, if i post a comment, and I get a reply with a sort of accusing tone, or a heavy level of disagreement, i am likely to take it personally.

So i think that words don't hurt, as much as they can offend :kickball:

Well

for most of us, words are the way we communicate with each other everyday. If you've been taught at a young age not to take the things people say to heart, words wont hurt you like they would someone who hasn't been taught that same thing. I was watching this heart breaking Television show about school shootings and the increase in suicides among young children. The majority of those kids doing the shootings were teased and taunted on a daily basis. Just think about having to deal with being called terrible names each and everyday because they didnt lQQk a certain way.
The media plays a big part in how we see and judge each other. On many commercials the women and men are thin with glowin flawless skin and a perfect set of teeth. Beauty comes in different shapes, forms and sizes. We need to start teaching our children that at a young age so that they can learn to love themselves for who they are. Pine Sol chose a big black beautiful woman to market their product. I couldn't think of any other commercial like it. We just need to learn to accept ourselves for who we are and define ourselves by our spirits and not by words.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back