Black People : WORDS HURT? I DON'T GET IT

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Feb 14, 2005.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey Cedric, I think words hurt the most when it comes from someone that you are friends with or someone that you love. Strangers words really don't hurt because they are meaningless.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

4. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Not a lot of people get hurt by words unless the word itself is offensive, or if it affects the person in any way. However when talking about words that can "offend" someone, it depends on the level of tone, and what's being said. For example...if someone were to call me an oreo, I would not be hurt, but I would be offended. First, because, I'm not a cookie, two, because it's insulting to me as an African American. Or, I can just react badly to the way someone reacts to me. For example, if i post a comment, and I get a reply with a sort of accusing tone, or a heavy level of disagreement, i am likely to take it personally.

So i think that words don't hurt, as much as they can offend :kickball:

5. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well

for most of us, words are the way we communicate with each other everyday. If you've been taught at a young age not to take the things people say to heart, words wont hurt you like they would someone who hasn't been taught that same thing. I was watching this heart breaking Television show about school shootings and the increase in suicides among young children. The majority of those kids doing the shootings were teased and taunted on a daily basis. Just think about having to deal with being called terrible names each and everyday because they didnt lQQk a certain way.
    The media plays a big part in how we see and judge each other. On many commercials the women and men are thin with glowin flawless skin and a perfect set of teeth. Beauty comes in different shapes, forms and sizes. We need to start teaching our children that at a young age so that they can learn to love themselves for who they are. Pine Sol chose a big black beautiful woman to market their product. I couldn't think of any other commercial like it. We just need to learn to accept ourselves for who we are and define ourselves by our spirits and not by words.

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Two things Nita:

1- I was browsing around the net yesterday, and I found that there was a saying (not that I believe in it) but:

"If you are looking for beauty, you are looking for trouble."

How would you personally intepret that?

2- You said if you've been taught to never take things to heart, words will not hurt you?" But then as Prizefighter indicated, "They can offend you."

It is funny, because I have never been taught to never take things to heart, yet I have also never been taught to know when someone is offending me or not; they could be just saying things. I think this is why when I am called names and mis-treated, I feel nothing. All I think about is the fact that if that person is offending me and I don't know it, God does, and he takes care of them for me. Nowadays, I know when someone is hurting me or offending me, and it is VERY hard to hurt me, because I do not have fragile love. My heart is very hard to break, because call me self-centered, but my heart is filled with self-determination, dedication, perseverance, and benevolence -all of which are supported by God 24/7. Now you see why words do not hurt me. Offend me? Maybe, but not enough to affect my heart.

CD