• Rarely

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SayWord

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 21, 2003
A few night ago, I was watching Outside The Lines. It's a sports show on ESPN for those of you who don't know. They were talking about the WUSA going under and what is it about women's sports that make the less desirable to wach than men's sports. They had a focus group and some of things the men were saying were borderline sexist. One guy said the WNBA was basketball on crack. And I'm a little ashmaed to admit it, but I do agree with the assesment that women's sports just aren't as entertaing as men's sports. They can't hold my attention. And for the most part the rest of the nation feels this way. The only reason the WNBA is still around is because has the fincial backbone of the NBA to support it. The only time most people pay real attention to women's sports is during the Olympics. That's once every four years! What do you think it would taketo generate more interest in women's sports? Do you enjoy watching?

i watch them all the time and i dis - agree with that
many lable the women sport because you don't see
all that fighting as to men and yes they love the Dunks
where as women don't do all that we have some very talented
sistah out their playing the game and i see WNBA growing down the line this year championship games was wild and i enjoyed it
how a last place team a year ago is crown champs one year later
this was basketball playin some of those ladies was very sharp and can out play some men in the NBA too.

OK...where do I begin? I'll start with Sayword. I do understand your point of not keeping your attention. I've been playing basketball for 20years now and I can't watch all of womens basketball, but at the same time, I can't watch all of an NBA game either. It's usually for the same reasons. I don't mind a woman doing a layup all the time and I don't expect a man to dunk every single time he has the ball. I have caught myself feeling embarrassed watching womens basketball and that's because I'm comparing it to mens basketball. I had to learn that it's the same game, but the strengths are in different places. Men have a down low power (that some woman do have and some woman can dunk, but don't...reasons unknown, but I know a lot of females that dunk for fun) and that's their strength. Womans ball is more fundamental. Free throws, jump shots and dribbling. I also learned growing up playing basketball with women coaches ironically is not always a good thing. As a girl loving the game of basketball especially in the 80's men were your role models. I used to go behind the back, cross folks over and all the rest of that stuff and my female coaches would tell me to stop. That's not the way women should play the game. My men coaches always encouraged me to do different. I never understood why, but woman's basketball is very very new. I don't know if you all are familiar with the one dribble game and two players weren't allowed to pass half court. It was a mess, but very recent. So we have to give props for women coming so far in so little time.

I did see the Outside the lines show and it was a bit much. I can understand the WUSA folding because soccer is a huge game, but not in the U.S. Mens soccer isn't even that hot.

I've been side tracked at work, so I hope this makes sense, I'll talk a little more later.

Makes pefect sense. And you are right. Women's sports and men's sports have different strenghts, so you need to look at them differently. But I'm not a big fan of looking at the women's game. I think men's sports are more aggressive. And that's why people are big sports fans. That's probably why you enjoyed your men coached more than your female coaches. They taught you to be more aggressive. If women's sports got more aggressive, I think I'd be able to watch it a little more.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back