Black People : Women To Be Drafted Also

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kannte, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Are you draft age?

Do you have children that are draft age?

How do you feel about Black Women women being drafted? Do you think black women being drafted will be good for the Black Nation?

Do you think that adding women to these bills is to cause a trade off of, at least, just drafting men?

Do you think young men and women being drafted will bring back the youth rebellions of the sixties? Do you think it may be possible that youth rebellions of the sixties is what the planers want?

How will,l a draft, effect hip-hop culture?

H. R. 163

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

http://thomas.loc.gov
    Put bill # H. R. 163 in search function to see bill; then go to: "Bill Summary & Status"

S. 89

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

http://thomas.loc.gov
    Put bill # S. 89 in search function to see bill; then go to: "Bill Summary & Status"

2. Kannte

Ratings:
    +2
    The Coming Draft

"History has proven that long-term military operations can only be sustained if you have twice as many soldiers waiting in the pipeline as are stationed out in the field. By that rule of thumb, the regular military is now 125,000 soldiers short . . .

The 2004 plan commits the SSS to report to the president on March 31st, 2005, that the system is ready for activation with 75 days. If they manage the task, then the first lottery could happen as early as June 15th, 2005."

Read Story Here:

3. Kannte

Ratings:
    +2
  4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Kannte, thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing information like this to our ATTENTION! This is extremely important in my opinion. I'm not draft age and don't have children who are either but I'm feeling for those among us who are and do. I was around in the 60s when there were massive protests against drafting men to fight in the Vietnam War. I had a brother who was drafted and luckily survived but I also had a cousin who was killed and friends that came back addicted to drugs and emotionally shattered. I remember Muhammed Ali's powerful political, religious and personal stand against entering the military to go half-way around the world to fight people that hadn't done anything to him. I remember the Black mothers and wives in my community wailing from the loss of a son or husband in the military. I remember my mother telling my brother that she would support him if he chose to run away to Canada. It was a very scarey time and it still is. Am I missing something critical here when I wonder why or how WE can see a need to fight and kill people in the name of America for any reason? I've even wondered how the Black men I see sorted it out in their minds to join the Secret Service and be willing to die to save the president. It just looks awkward to me. But then I realize that not everyone thinks like I do.

We have fought for equal rights in this country, is dying for your country a part of that?

Queenie :spinstar:

5. Kannte

Ratings:
    +2
  6. Kannte

Ratings:
    +2
    Is military draft in the works?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/greeley/cst-edt-greel23.html

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I believe that the Bush Administration and his republican cronies are laying the groundwork for reinstituting the draft, and possibly in a form which will include women although it makes me wonder if men and women are drafted, how that will impact the economy overall, educational institutions that traditionally rely on the younger generation's tuition to attend their schools, the workforce as baby boomers begin to retire, growth of families because the younger generation is within childbearing ages, etc.

We're beginning to see the soundbites (aka propanganda) coming from the Pentagon about the American military being spread out in various countries around the world to protect democracy and human rights or to insure it among their citizens and because of this wide spread distribution, they claim our numbers of soldiers are the lowest it's ever been so we need to replenish our supply. Until that happens, they are extending the time that the men/women who are abroad now have to remain there, so they can't come home when they thought they would.

To me, when this happens isn't the issue--before an election or after. What I'm curious to know is, if Kerry is voted in, will he change or even be able to change the momentum of this event given all the hype that Bush, et al. are planting in our minds now? If not, would anyone here be willing or proud to see their husbands, sons/daughters or other family members be drafted to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Why did Bush want this war so badly? He has yet to find weapons of mass destruction, but we don't hear that discussed much anymore. What are our people dying in these wars for? Does anyone here know what it feels like to have their loved ones return home from war in a casket draped in the American flag?

8. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I think if men are drafted, women should also. It goes along with being "equal". Maybe then, women will truly understand the sacrifices Black men have made for them. I often wonder if the National Organization of Women and other groups will try to pull the "gender" card.

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I don't support the draft for anyone...men or women. I don't think that Black men fighting and dying in these wars is proof of the sacrifices they have made for Black women. I would much rather have our Black men alive and fighting for justice and freedom from racist oppression as opposed to dying in some war where only America reaps the benefits of and leaves our community shattered, families broken, children left without fathers, women without husbands, etc. etc. etc.

Just my opinion...

10. Kannte

Ratings:
    +2
    college underclassmen

"Under this new act, college underclassmen would only be allowed to finish their current semester, and seniors would be allowed to finish their academic year before being taken.

We also know that the Pentagon is now beginning to fill 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board positions nation-wide.

Unlike the Viet Nam era, Americans will not be able to relocate to Canada to avoid the draft, because Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security Director, Tom Ridge, have signed what they call “The Smart Border Declaration” to keep draft dodgers in..."

http://web004.webspace4you.ch/~swisswebworks-com/tribworks/gold/index.html?quotes/_quotes.html&2