Black Relationships : Women that can't cook

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by kente417mojo, Jun 16, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Brothas. Would you ever marry or date a woman that couldn't cook? I know for me, a woman that can cook is a huge turn-on. Seeing a woman in the kitchen is HOT. I have a friend that swears she wants to get married, but she wants a man that will do all the cooking.:eek:hmy: She said there's no need to learn because she will just find a man willing to do it. I told her she'd be single forever then. What if the lady in your life couldn't cook, what would you do? Would you get tired of cooking all the meals or eating out?

2. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    no problemo

bro, f she's got it 2gether n the other departments tht r important 2 me, & we r sharing an afrocentric world view, this wld not b a problem.

1stly, i cn cook. f i do all the cooking, she cn do all the cleaning up afterwards. 2ndly, f it's jus a matter of her not knowing how, i cn teach her or she cn take classes, or, we cn take classes 2gether.

there r simply too many other qualities ahead of cooking on my list: physical attractiveness, honesty, humility, empathy, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, communicative, unselfish, goal oriented, etc., 4 the lack of cooking ability 2 b a serious impediment. f we really :love: e/o, this wld b something we cn surely work out some compromises on. it's not tht big a deal. i figure f i ever get married it will prob b 2 a forighn born woman anyway, so she will prob b totally unfamiliar w cooking any amerikkkan meals.

of course, i expect 2 b well compensated 4 this deficit! :laugh: :laugh:

3. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

Sounds good man. Thanks for replying.
    :peace: I hear you on that compensated part.

4. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    If I got with a woman who could not cook, I would do it!!

I love cooking (good since I live on my own and aint got a girl), and would handle those duties and also teach her. I would teach any woman, I am building a serious reltionship with, to cook if she couldnt and hope that she return the favour other ways and show me something.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    To me this is an issue of consideration, and what do you (the woman) bring to a relatioship. So often we hear women talk about what they want in a man (good looks, well educated, stable financially, etc); however, when asked what they bring into a relationship, many women pause. The usual answer of these types of women are their sexual prowess (which all women have). Despite the advances women have made socially & financially in the past 30 years, many still look for a man to provide for them in a relationship. Because of the advances women have made in the past 30 years, many look at cooking as primative/oppressive, and against their principles. Indeed, I know many women that not only don't want to cook..... but don't even know how to (can't boil water).

Although women still want men to provide...to take care of them, many women don't want to provide an exchange...taking care of their man (which includes cooking for him). This is a lack of consideration...it is selfish. In in my opinion this is one why so many women are either single, or in unhappy relationships. All women should know how to cook for their man, and they should desire to cook for their man. It is a important characteristic for women to have....it is as attractive to men as having a job is attractive to women. This is not to say that a man can't cook for a woman to...I cook for my wife as well. Not only me, but my 2 older brothers cook for their wives also. However, this has to go both ways....no one should dominate any aspect of a relationship. Ladies remember the old cliche: A way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

6. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think so

Brother kente, I would not marry a woman that couldn't cook. It's one thing to learn to cook a certain dish, or to cook a meal to your liking, but not knowing how to cook at all or very little is to me, a person that's not ready for, or interested in, a committed relationship, imho.

If her job or commute prevents her from coming home in time to prepare meals for the family, then most certainly I would do it without a moment hesitation, but for her to not be able to provide a basic necessity for her family is ill-responsible. It's also just as important for a man to know how to cook if simply for the scenario I mentioned...there is nothing more triffling than a man sitting at home waiting for his wife to come home after a long day at work to fix dinner.

Also ditto to panafrica's comments.

Anyway, back to your question...my answer is no.

7. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    AMEN to that!!!!!

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    MrBlak, panafrica, Zero and Lucky, thank you for you comments.

I also think that it is inconsiderate. I think that even if a woman can't cook, she should be willing to pick up a cookbook and try. It's all about effort. I also agree no one should have to do all the cooking in the household, but for a woman to not know how to cook and not want to learn is a big turn-off. I couldn't do it. I don't think it's oppressive, I just think it's like you guys said, showing appreciation and consideration. She definately has to have other qualities besides cooking, but to me that's an important thing. I can cook, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it all the time because "cooking is not your thang". :nono: Thanks Brothas.

9. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can cook better than most women. Gender does not determine culinary skill. Women are boo boo at cooking in my opinion.

10. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    if i might say somin as a woman- my step dad cooks betta then my moms-which is sad but tru- and i often find myself tellin her not to cook- cuz i love his food more-lol ( but she cant listen til we tell her its nasty)