Black Women : women live longer

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    in the Dec 2004 issue of Scientific American there was an article that explained that females live longer than males.
    there are more male babies born than females, however, male babies don't survive as well.
    males die of more accidents in childhood and males go on to kill themselves throughout puberty and adulthood.

there is always a greater number of females in the general population than males.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    James, interesting that you'd bring this topic to the board... I was thinkin this morning that with all of the stresses placed on African men - many self-imposed as well as societal - we still live nearly as long as White males... It got me to wondering just how long we'd live if we weren't constantly under the kind of duress we are in this White Supremacist society??? I say 100 years on average - when we weren't killing one another off...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    BTW, sisters live longer because they take care of themselves by going to the doctor regularly... If there's something wrong, they take care of it in it's early stages... Plus, its just good preventative health to speak with doctors and nutritionists, and to share that info with their girlfriends, relatives, and children.

I remember my moms would always be checking out our urine by giving us a diuretic pills to see if our blood sugar was good... She had diabetes, and it was her way of saying that we should always be cognizant of what was going on inside our bodies... Thank God for mamas, man...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I couldn't agree more with tha Isaiah...it is hard to get a man to have annual checkups and even more difficult to get him to go to the doctor if he notices something wrong. My father won't go unless he is in so much pain he can't move.

Of all the men I graduated with in high school, only 2 have died from "natural" causes or disease. The other 7 have died from PRIDE and EGOS - street combat for something stupid. 1 died because his car splashed water on another car (it was raining hard) and when he pulled over to get gas, he was shot in the back.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    doctors?, maybe. nutritionists?, oh hell no! in Philly, most sisters eat like pigs and are greatly overweight.
    i've sat in the food courts and watched them load up their high fat content fast food with extra salt(!)

no such thing as a sister eating a salad. sisters here do not run or jog.

the only reason they outlive a brother is that they take less small arms fire than we do. :flamet:

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    ****, James, sistas in Philly sound hard core, brother(LOL!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I though women live longer than men because they are nagged less often? Seriously this is an interesting topic. I was well aware that women outnumber men, because we hear these statistics everyday (often with a doom & gloom interpretation). However I did not know that more males are born than females. This is new to me!

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    males wipe themselves out.....

more males start out in life and fewer end up alive. we die more at every stage of life.

this is in the general population. black males is even worse. how many young brothers you know that didn't make it?

when you factor in the additional risk factors that the black male is exposed to (including the black female) it's a wonder that there are any brothers left alive at all.
    so instead of complaining that there are too few black males, we should be happy that there are any at all living.

9. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    So now the black female is a risk factor? Why are you being so negative James?

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    like sisters don't blow away they mans......

just a little black humor, yo :shades: