Black People : Women Becoming Main Victims of AIDS - U.N.

Aqil

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 3, 2001
New York
Women are becoming the main victims of the global AIDS epidemic, says UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Speaking on Monday at a UN session to mark International Women's Day attended by Queen Noor of Jordan, Annan said girls and young women now account for nearly two-thirds of people worldwide under 24 who are living with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

At least half of all new infections are women, which he said indicated a "terrifying pattern" that has changed the way the disease is cutting its way through communities across the globe.

"All over the world, women are increasingly bearing the brunt of the epidemic," Annan said. "If these rates of infection continue, women will soon become the majority of the global total of people infected."

Please read the entire article at:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E333C7B1-B5EC-48D2-B1A4-7D72FAAFB7C3.htm

Brother Aqil, thank you for posting this information. I have forwarded it to a women's resource center in my community. As a Black woman, this continues to be shocking news as we also face horrifying statistics describing the impact that HIV/AIDS has on our community.

I can remember doing research for a paper back in 1980 on HIV/AIDS, which was a relatively newly discovered disease then. There was so little information about it at the time but what data I could find reported that the victims were primarily white. Now, almost a quarter of a century later, data show the devastating and disproportionate impact that the virus has on women in general but more so, Black women.

This news continues to cause me serious concern about how this can be true, and if it is, how this happened. I am extremely suspicious about the spread of this virus and how it even came to be in existence. Think about the grievous possibilities.

A great many of us that have the virus don't have the financial resources of a Magic Johnson so we can't afford the terribly expensive cocktail drugs needed to suppress its development so it becomes a terminal condition.

Not only that but women who are infected, if they become pregnant, they give birth to infected babies. There's no question what impact this has on the Black population as a whole. Without the ability to reproduce and sustain a healthy fetus, the population of BLACK people will die.

What risk would a Black man want to take to have sexual intercourse with a Black woman who statistics claim has the most likely chance of being infected with a deadly virus? He's not going to abstain will he? He'll probably choose a low risk sexual partner of another racial group. And if this other woman becomes a life partner and they have children and this behavior is multiplied for generations to come, what would the world population look like in the future?

These are just a few random thoughts that came to me as I read information at your link, Brother Aqil, but to say the least, this is issue is obviously very critical and the information needs to spread FASTER than the virus in the Black communities around the world.

Queenie :spinstar:

NNQueen said:
Brother Aqil, thank you for posting this information. I have forwarded it to a women's resource center in my community. As a Black woman, this continues to be shocking news as we also face horrifying statistics describing the impact that HIV/AIDS has on our community.

I can remember doing research for a paper back in 1980 on HIV/AIDS, which was a relatively newly discovered disease then. There was so little information about it at the time but what data I could find reported that the victims were primarily white. Now, almost a quarter of a century later, data show the devastating and disproportionate impact that the virus has on women in general but more so, Black women.

This news continues to cause me serious concern about how this can be true, and if it is, how this happened. I am extremely suspicious about the spread of this virus and how it even came to be in existence. Think about the grievous possibilities.

A great many of us that have the virus don't have the financial resources of a Magic Johnson so we can't afford the terribly expensive cocktail drugs needed to suppress its development so it becomes a terminal condition.

Not only that but women who are infected, if they become pregnant, they give birth to infected babies. There's no question what impact this has on the Black population as a whole. Without the ability to reproduce and sustain a healthy fetus, the population of BLACK people will die.

What risk would a Black man want to take to have sexual intercourse with a Black woman who statistics claim has the most likely chance of being infected with a deadly virus? He's not going to abstain will he? He'll probably choose a low risk sexual partner of another racial group. And if this other woman becomes a life partner and they have children and this behavior is multiplied for generations to come, what would the world population look like in the future?

These are just a few random thoughts that came to me as I read information at your link, Brother Aqil, but to say the least, this is issue is obviously very critical and the information needs to spread FASTER than the virus in the Black communities around the world.

Queenie :spinstar:

NNQueen...
just wanted to touch :heart: 's with you for a second about one of your above statments.
yes, Magic Johnson have the status (money)...what he did was (because he had the money) use a "faster" method, however I need to say this: everything reproduces after itself...when we cook our food we kill the little nutrients that was in them, so in short to eat dead food...you will eventually produce "DEATH". If a person is in the early stages of the virus...HIV and then change their entire diet to LIVE food...it will also produce LIFE. please hear what I'm saying!!! my husband (keita) is a historian and I am more than sure that if you ask him about this he can/will share with you/all the information he found on: the start of aids/where it came from/how to reverse the virus.

much luv to ya...queentswana

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back