Black Entertainment : Winston Grennan

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by cherryblossom, Oct 27, 2012.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Winston Grennan (September 16, 1944 - October 27, 2000) was a Jamaican drummer, famous for session work from 1962 to 1973 in Jamaica as well as later in New York City through the 1970s and '80s...

...He is most famous for creating the "One Drop" beat in the late 1960s; this beat places kick/snare emphasis on the second and fourth beats within a highly-syncopated 4/4 bar. One Drop, an outgrowth of the ska and rocksteady, became the foundation for reggae music, combined with traditional Jamaican forms such as mento, burro and kumina. Grennan has also responsible for importing the "Flyers" beat to the United States - a beat which he had developed and recorded in the 60s in Jamaica. While living New York, Grennan performed at the uptown nightclub Mikell's, where local musicians scored and adapted the beat for their own use. A reconstituted Flyers later emerged in New York as the rhythm that became known as disco.
    Grennan is also remembered for his work at Studio One (Coxsone Dodd), Treasure Isle (Duke Reid), Federal, and Beverly's (Leslie Kong) although he also recorded with Sonia Pottinger, Clive Chin, Byron Lee and Winston Riley, and nearly every other record producer of the era. Early album releases rarely attributed the players of instruments and the majority of Grennan's early work was uncredited....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Grennan

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    http://www.winstongrennan.com/

"I don't consider this deep roots reggae.
    It's a brand new style of music I call swegway
    a departure from the 'one drop' drum sound I created and Bob Marley embraced. Since I came to America I've been exposed to a lot of different music and I've played with many musicians in all styles of music so I can't sit down and play one style any more. Since I don't want to get stuck in one groove, I cooperate all styles of music into one and call it swegway
    reggae's second cousin."