Zulile

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
2em3gnc.jpg

By RYAN GOLDBERG
Published: September 16, 2008

HOUSTON — For several months in 1989, in neighborhoods that had been devastated by gang violence and drugs, the sight of a red Toyota Land Cruiser would scatter teenagers loitering on street corners and in public housing projects.

The driver would shout at them, hoping to convince them that he was not an undercover police officer. They might have stayed and listened had they known this man was there to help. Or if they had known about his past.

“The kids would whisper 5-0 under their breath,” the man, Roynell Young, recently recalled with a laugh. “The red truck became a giveaway.”

At the time, Young was one year removed from an N.F.L. career that had spanned nine years and included an All-Pro season and a Super Bowl appearance. A tough 6-foot-1 defensive back for the Eagles, he had been a fan favorite at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia.

But when he retired, he ducked from the spotlight and resurfaced here, where he said his real calling resided. He had passed through this city in college and figured that few here would know much about his football life. He said he did not want his fame to interfere with his message.

“My job is to interrupt the pipeline that is causing young men to go from the cradle to prison,” Young, 50, said recently.

His modest idea was to create an after-school program. It has blossomed into something far more comprehensive.

Through the years, he said, more than 1,000 at-risk young people have arrived at his doors. And early next month, his programs, known collectively as Pro-Vision, a nonprofit organization, will move from a tiny schoolhouse to a 16-acre campus financed by private contributions.

Full Article Here

This is exceptional example, of black love at it's best. i was very inspired by this story, and by the "Manhood Developmental Program" wow, what a sensational thing. A commitment, that only God can place upon the heart of his most devoted desciple. I commend this man greatly, and for the action he has taken. Action that many will talk about, and only a few who will Act on what they say.

I think I will keep up to date, with this program here, as it peeks my interest.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back