Black Sports : Winky Wright Dominates Felix Trinidad!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, May 15, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.fightnews.com

If Bernard Hopkins can get past Jermaine Taylor this summer, Hopkins-Wright will be a fantastic fight!

2. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    There was nothing surprising about this fight. Trinidad is a puncher Winky is a boxer and a good boxer usually beats a good puncher.Hopkins beat Trinidad badly a few years ago so why wouldnt anyone think that the same thing wouldnt happen against Wright? I dont see too many people who will want to fight Wright because he just doesnt allow himself to get hit and he never leaves himself open to get hit.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You were right all along Oceolo! I gave Trinidad a shot, because I didn't think Winky could stay in front of him and win. The more I thought about the fight, I started to go in Winky's direction. He stayed in front of Trinidad, but kept that jab in his face...confused him all night. Winky set up a megafight against Hopkins, who now has extra motivation to get past Taylor!

4. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not going to say I told you so,but I know boxing and I just knew that Trinidad would not beat Wright.Trinidad is not a true middleweight . I think Tito should move down back to welterweight because he will have a lot more power in his punches at that weight and there are a lot of good possible fights for him like with De La Hoya, Mosely or Judah.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think Trinidad would be fine at Jr. Middleweight if my main Kassim Ouma hadn't come along! He can go back down to welterweight, but the competition is now tougher than when he left! One thing for sure...boxing doesn't wait for anyone (with the exception of the heavyweight division).

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I couldn't believe how easy it was for Winky to befuddle Tito and take him out of his game. I don't think it will be that easy with Hopkins. He'll rough Winky up a bit to rattle him...and then take advantage of him if he can't get past his jab.

By the way, who has the longer arm reach, Winky or Hopkins?

I can't see Winky getting away from his bread and butter jab against any fighter unless that fighter has a longer arm reach or is very outclassed in boxing skills.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Winky will need more than his jab (as good as it is) to beat Hopkins for sure. Bernard has too much versatility to his game to be beaten by one style.

8. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man that fight was as technically sound as you can get..it was a thing of beauty...I'm glad Winky is finally getting some respect but now more folks than ever will be ducking .....Bernard already says he won't fight wink because the money won't be right...I love B-Hop but I think it's because he knows just how hard it would be to beat Wink...his defense is very good and he has long forearms that he gets behind making him like a turtle..you just don't have much to hit ..him and B-Hop would be interesting though I'd pay for that one....that would be a strategic battle for sure...but B-Hop ain't guaranteed to get by Jermaine Taylor...if Taylor gets his confidence up he can pose a serious challenge..he's athletic as hell good hands, enough power and not easy to hit..if his confidence is lacking though he'll get worked like the rest though....I'm just glad to finally see Wink get his....I've been watching him for a while and always knew he had the skill..plus the look on the Puerto Rican contingent in Vegas was priceless when they realized Winky wasn't just some dude they got in their for Tito to bang on...Did yall hear what Tito's father was telling him between rounds...**** man..."hit him harder, hit him harder, be better than him" come on man...

MississippiRed

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That fight was sad. I can't believe Tito got his butt whooped like that. I didn't think Winky was a slouch, but I thought Tito would win. Why was he so puzzled by Winky's style? How did he expect him to fight? Did he think Winky Wright was going to punch it out with him all night? He should have been ready for that type of fight, and he should've had a better game plan. Everyone knew Winky Wright would not punch and brawl with him. He is a boxer and everyone knows that, so why did he continue fighting the same way all night when it didn't work from the opening bell? That fight was weird to me. It didn't make sense the way it went down.

10. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Kente I can answer that in one phrase"Tito is a one dimensional fighter"....he fought the same way all night because that's the only way he knows how to fight, his talent was never developed...his father saw he had power and they never worked on his footwork, his head movement, his boxing skills..never taught to work behind his jab never even taught good defense..they just relied on power and a good boxer will almost always dominate a one dimensional power puncher...

MississippiRed