Black Sports : WIMBLEDON 2010

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by $$RICH$$, Jun 28, 2010.

1. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    WIMBLEDON 2010, England -- Defending champion Serena Williams overcame Maria Sharapova 7-6 (9), 6-4 on Monday to reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals and avenge her loss to the Russian in the 2004 final.

Serena Williams served 19 aces for the second straight match -- taking her total to 63 for the tournament -- and held off the resurgent Sharapova in a tight battle on Centre Court

Venus Williams overcame a tough challenge from the lowest-ranked player left in the draw. The second-seeded Williams broke back twice to stay in the second set, then escaped in the tiebreaker to complete a 6-4, 7-6 (5) victory on Court 2 over 92nd-ranked Jarmila Groth of Australia.

The victory sent Williams into her 31st Grand Slam quarterfinal and improved her record to 12-0 in fourth-round matches at the All England Club. She could potentially face Serena in Saturday's final.

2. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    After Serena Williams moved within a victory of her fourth Wimbledon championship and 13th Grand Slam title overall, she was asked to assess the woman she'll face in Saturday's final, little-known Vera Zvonareva of Russia.
    "I don't think she does anything terrible. I think that's the best way to describe her game," Williams said. "She does everything good."
    That's a fair, if not necessarily charitable, scouting report. Minutes later came a follow-up: Is there anything Williams herself does "terrible" in tennis or in life?
    She hemmed and hawed and then replied, "I don't know. That's a good question. I'm stumped."
    It's difficult to find any flaws in Williams' play right now. The No. 1-ranked American has won all 12 sets she's played this fortnight, set a Wimbledon record with 80 aces in the tournament and reached a third consecutive final at the All England Club by beating Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Thursday.
    "Well," the defending champion said, "I'm hoping to still peak in the final."
    That must be a daunting prospect for the 21st-ranked Zvonareva, who eliminated Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 in Thursday's other semifinal.
    Zvonareva is the second-lowest-ranked woman to reach a Wimbledon final, had never gotten past the fourth round here and will be playing in a title match for the first time in 30 Grand Slam tournaments.
    "I always believe in myself. I don't care about what everyone says," said Zvonareva, who drapes a pink, yellow and blue Wimbledon towel over her head during changeovers to block distractions. "I know if I play my best tennis, I can beat anyone. ... I never look at any odds or comparisons."
    So she might not know that Williams is 12-3 in major finals.
    Or care that Williams has won five of their previous six meetings.
    "On paper, it looks like I should win," said Williams, who is wearing glittering, silver nail polish that sometimes reflects the sun's rays. "But Vera, she's beaten some good people. Her last two matches, she's been down a set, so she's obviously a fighter."
    For Williams, it actually might be refreshing to look across the Centre Court net and see someone other than her older sister Venus.
    Serena has never beaten anyone other than Venus in a Wimbledon final, winning all-Williams matchups in 2002, 2003 and 2009. Five-time champion Venus got the better of Serena in the 2008 championship match at the grass-court tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon10/news/story?id=5345341

[​IMG]
    She should capture her forth wimbledon as she set records this sister is indeed the TENNIS QUEEN

3. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Things never seem to change with Serena Williams.

She's the best, and then players come, go, retire, burn out, have babies, come back, grow up, get hurt, recover, get old. New players come in and go down their paths.

And Serena Williams? Still on top. You reshuffle a deck of cards a few hundred times and the same card always comes out on top.

Well, this is no trick. Williams won Wimbledon again Saturday, beating Vera Zvonareva 6-3, 6-2 for her fourth title here. It was her 13th major title overall, passing Billie Jean King into sixth place on the all-time list.

This was a blowout, as expected. The truth is, Williams had this tournament won for a week, since she beat Maria Sharapova, the only player who made her break a sweat.
    Top-seeded Serena Williams cruised to win her fourth Wimbledon title on Saturday, defeating No. 21-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia in straight sets 6-3, 6-2.

Williams is 28, a dicey age in tennis, but this was her easiest major ever. It's hard to imagine who can beat her now, and how many majors she can win.

[​IMG]

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Yeah I was watching it earlier this morning. I was almost getting ticked because ESPN News didn't talk about it until later in the afternoon, considering the fact that she won another major Championship. It's all good though; we know and they know she's soaring to fame.

KWABENA

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    she one of the best of the best and surely a hall of famer