Black People : will someone review Fat Albert?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    Cosby got himself a billion dollars worth of publicity by calling black people slackers.
    now, along comes his movie.
    i guess it's just a coincidence except i don't really believe in coincidence.

so is it safe for me to assume that all the blacks in the movie are good, upstanding citizens who dress right, talk right and do the right thing?
    i know Mr Bill is walking the walk as well as talking the talk, right?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't get out to the movies that much (having a hyper-active toddler will do that); however, I know Mush Mouth shouldn't be "talking right". That is he shouldn't if the character stays true to its origins. The majority of Fat Albert's gang spoke in what can be considered Ebonics, but it was considered innocent fun in the 70s. I would like someone to review it also, to decide if I should support the movie or not.

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    will some one tell me that the characters in the movie act differently than the people who Cosby so vehemently criticizes?

tell me that his characters don't use slang.
    tell me that his characters dress formally.

tell me that his characters spend all their time preparing for those wonderful opportunities now being offered to blacks if we were only ready for them.

tell me his characters set a positive role model for blacks in 2005.

tell me.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    stay tune for my report !

5. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    There were hell of a lot white people placed in North Philadelphia. This was a crossover Fat Albert film.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    white people?
    in north philly?
    the only white people in north philly are temple u students and they all live on campus.

7. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I finally got a chance to go see this movie a few days ago. I've heard and read different reviews and opinions about this movie but here's MY opinion.

Although the plot was good, I thought it could have been a little better. I wasn't concerned with how Fat Albert and the Cosby kids addressed many of today's current issues for they were not from this time. Personally, I'm glad they didn't try to change the characters because who they are is what we all fell in love with.

I was really hoping to see the Brown Hornet and some other things that made the cartoon so great like some of those junk yard tunes for example. There is however a wonderful remix of the theme song with dance moves, funky beats and funky raps.

Some people may have been lQQking for a newer version of Fat Albert and Cosby Kids. I was glad to see that once the characters came to life they were the same as they were back then. The twist was that they were faced with having to adjust to a whole new world that they had never seen before.

The Fat Albert Show was one of the very few shows AND cartoons where we could see people who lQQked just like you and me. I felt the film was positive and carried the same concept a the cartoon....Helping others. On a scale from 1 to 10 I rate this movie as a 9 simply because it had a great story and it brought many memories like me rushing home after school to catch this lovable show. My children got a kick out of this movie too. It's a great film for any Family to go see. Now finally this generation can share in the same memories that many of us did..hey...Hey...HEY!!!!!!