Black Entertainment : will hip hop rise again?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Therious, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    REMEMBER back in the late 90s when it seemed tht hip hop was going 2 mke a come back. u had artists like common, mos def, the roots, getting mainstream air play. in the last 5 yrs it seems thts been burried. its stricly the club or the gun, tht gets play. this may hve 2 do w/ generational preference , sometimes it seems tht true hip hop will neva be heard on a nation scale again, the award shows r a joke oh well after all it is up 2 us, the internet has been a great tool.hiphopwill never die but will hip hop make it back 2 the top or r the youngstas just on some different ish...some corny club ish to b xact,or wht ever is shoved down their throats.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    does art lead or follow?
    if there's nothing but garbage on the air is that what the people want or what the artists want?

maybe there is just no audience for righteous art.

maybe the masses of young blacks are all about the dollar.
    isn't this thug life taken to it's logical conclusion?

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i hve to say tht art leads and greed follows.

garbage on the air is wht the major labels wnt as well as a large amount of the masses, however good music is wanted its just not promoted in my opinion. rappers wnt 2 get paid, artists wnt 2 make good music wether they get paid or not-but at the same time an artist does wnt 2 eat though.

at the same time ppl wnt 2 party, im not saying all club music is bad or even mainstream its just wack when everybody wnts 2 sound like the next person.

i look atr rock and roll they promote all different types of rock across the board, but when it comes 2 rap they only promote thug/club/or dubs, because thts wht sells due 2 the fact tht many rapp fans r just ignorant period.

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hip Hop will not rise again until it''s profitable.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think hip hop will come back in a massive way once
    the listeners stop taking the junk they pushing on us
    to turn a buck .....good old hip hop need to be taken
    to a higher level to be heard but who will make the
    change or first step to bring it back .

6. mosesgthre

mosesgthre Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you why hip hop is kind of sorry today. It's been on a decline for some time actually. Beats was goin on with 1980's Grandmaster Flash, Kool Moe, Kurtis Blow, Fat Boys, LL, PE, RunDmc, Doug E, and Eric B. Then, cats started emphasizing bad words, then *itches, then dance moves, then clothes, and then samplings without the scratching sensations. Example: Fresh Prince changed his name to Wil Smith and dropped Jazzy Jeff. Or how about Eric B and Rakim breaking up? Threw the art out the mainstream just like that. The Human Beat Box passing on. Big Daddy Kane posing and then just disappearing. LL getting techno like and basically talking in his natural voice man... MAN WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS SCREAMING? BROTHAS DONT WANT TO HEAR YA LICKING AND MAKING OUT WITH SOME STRING BEAN! WE WANT THE REAL LL COOL J, BREAKIN DOWN AS THE BADDEST SUCKA ON THE PLANET! and then there's Public Enemy in the 90's hanging with Anthrax and doing great lyrics to beats R Kelly could've made in the 1st grade. Heavy D done played into retirement, but he had some of the best clean hip hop last. Run DMC don't produce enough records and when they do now, it's mostly RuN. Today, seems like Mos Def holds the fort. Along with the Be Bop KRS-1 who went Spiritual but scares away the sinners. BRING BACK THE HIP HOP!

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    :hearthis: Hell-to-the-No....Hip Hop will keep getting worse. Hip Hop makes more pushing gansta **** more than anything else. We (black people) want to hear OUR OWN ignorance, white people and other races also want to her OUR ignorance, so they pay money to keep it coming. We oblige by continuously selling out as usual. What's new. Hip Hop will never get to the point where it is discussing important issues that have to deal with uplifting and positive thinking, because to be honest...no one wants to hear it. Not black people, no white people, not asian or hispanic people. We (black people ) look at peace and positiveity and education as square, corny or soft. There is no incentive to make better music. Actually, it's the opposite. If you're in rap and you want to make millions....your best chance is to rap about selling crack, screwing tons of women and killing other black people, and then you're on your way.

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    They aren't talking about anything and their videos are stupid. I feel the only reason it's still surviving is because so many white people are buying that trash.

I like the OLD SCHOOL RAP.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    there r is some incredible hip hop out there its just not promoted by labels (major) or radio. the internet is a good place to find the goods. the youth will always take music to another level, i mean our parents hated on our music our hip hop when we were coming up. but as for good rap getting play dnt c it happening again any time soon.

10. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I think you guys are being too pessimistic. Yes, true hip hop will make a come back. Ofcourse, hip hop has elevated to a number of levels, so what really is true hip hop. We're more talkin about hip hop with a purpose, or some type of message. Yes, those no point songs are out there, and i admit i listen to them and watch the videos because they are convenient, but not every rapper is talkin bout foolishness. it's just not mainstream. But it need to really be mainstream? If i want to find a rapper with a message, why should i wait till hip hop becomes "true"? My generation is not all full of ignorance. and while some things seem to get worse, look at how some rappers are becoming more aware of certain things. For example, Jadakiss and his song why. it may not be much, but it's a start. and what about Nas, and the song that was telling kids they could be anything they want to be. then there's Talib's song, and there's the Roots song star. Not everything is Black and white with hip hop. just give it time and it will get better