Audio Video Web Conferencing : Why Why Why?

Discussion in 'Audio Video Web Conferencing' started by Holly Wood, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Destee,

Just wanted to know what exactly prompted the change? Could the Eshare solution not be migrated or transferred? It was really a bit smoother from an operation standpoint.

This one seems rather cumbersome.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hey HollyWood :love:

Our eShare chat provider went out of business. They gave me two weeks notice prior to closing their doors. I have been using their services since 1999, all comfortable and relaxed, so this came as quite a surprise.

I did not have my own eShare license, but rather leased the use of the eShare software through them. In addition, they hosted and supported the product. The option to migrate or transfer "my license" did not exist. Purchasing an eShare chat license is expensive. I'm not sure exactly how expensive but when I checked some time ago it was thousands of dollars (based on a certain number of users), and I'd imagine it's much more now. While I want to continue providing chat as I have since 1999, it has to be reasonable in regard to cost.

Being faced with having to find an alternative chat solution gave me the opportunity to find one that could use the same database as the forum. As you probably know, the database for the chat and the database for the forum were different. This meant that a Member had to register in both places, two separate logins and all that kind of carrying on. This situation prompted me to find a solution that would integrate the chat and forum, using the same Member database, having one username/password for both features. To me, this is really the up side of this whole situation.

I do agree that this current chat solution is not as "smooth" as eShare. It does feel rather "klunky" compared to what we were accustomed to. I'm hoping over time it will not seem so bad. It is new and having our previous chat experiences to compare it to ... it's going to be an uphill climb.

I've not had to consider our chat solution since 1999, other than paying the bill. It's been nice. That's now over and I will be monitoring the success of this one as well as looking for additional alternatives in case this doesn't work out.

Please do give it a chance though.

Thanks for registering over here and joining us ... you know we can't make it without you! :kiss:

I'm here if you need me.

:heart:

Destee

3. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

"Jus Kiddin" - Now u know, the sucker I am, I'll support "anything" you do, whether it be a 1-900 line, color glossy layout UnFORTUNEate 500,000 magazine, etc. etc.

smile

Holly Wood ~aka~ HIM

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    HollyWood ... :kiss: ... Thank You Sweetie :love:

5. angelheart66

angelheart66 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    my 2cents and hey WOOD

i can't say that i like this.....it doesn't seem to work for me. O BY THE WAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HEY WOODY, MISS YA....SMOOCHES!

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Destee,

True, the new place is rather cumbersome but I'm trying to give it a chance 'cause I like you so much sis!

However, I'm still waiting on the short yellow bus icon cause there are a few ppl in the chatroom who need to ride it daily! I'm not mentioning any names 'cause they know who they are! :cool:

Oh, and Wood, I didn't realize how articulate you can be when you're calm! The second reaction you gave Destee sounded more like you! lol

7. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Desteeeeeeeeeeeeee,

She's (NNQ) bashing me - "Again"!!!!

NNQ, uuuummm, don't get caught steppin out in front of the lil yella bus. Ain't no tellin who'll be drivin...

Signed,

U Already Know Who It Izz

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    I haven't been to the chat room in about a week because it eats up my computer memory and causes all kinds of problems for me. Today, I missed the family and decided to take the chance to visit anyway. This is the second day in a row that the room has been completely empty and that's highly unusual, especially this time of day. Why aren't people chatting??? :confused: Has the chat family given up on the new room? I miss my people...even Wood and Keme :( Why even Remby is gone!!

Wood, are you implying that someone actually issued you a driver's license? :eek:

9. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Watch da bus, don't watch me... And if I am driving, u can best depend on the fact that it'll probably be MS. DAISY....

I dunno what's up w/ the chat fam. I've entered to emptiness over the last week or so myself. I've told Destee that this chat room chews up PROCESSOR time on the local machine.

In the meantime, uuuuummm, NNQ, have you ever considered the reason the room is empty when you come = PERHAPS IT'S PERSONAL and not techical. LOL LOL LOL

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Wood, your clown suit is tattered and full of old stains! Go get that thing cleaned, man!! LOL :eek:

Destee, are you out there listening? Where is the chat family? :( Tell us the truth...it's because of Wood ain't it? All that whinin' and complainin' he did...now we're all unda punishment! :maddd: