Black Parenting : Why Whupping Your Kids Won’t Save Black America

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
The origins of whupping Black children are sinister: beating the barbarity out of black children is a trusted tool in the well-stocked arsenal of white supremacy.
(Content warning: discussion of child abuse)

Interrogating the most controversial and taboo aspects of black culture in the name of radical love is kind of my thing. It’s also assistant professor of multimedia journalism and journalist Stacey Patton’s thing. Which is why I readily accepted the offer to read and, as best I can, review her new book, Spare the Kids: Why Whupping Children Won’t Save Black America — a 247-page distillation of her painful sojourn to find the intellectual and emotional foundation of corporal punishment in black America.

But — that’s not the only reason I wanted to read it. Let me set the context.

Read more

http://wearyourvoicemag.com/identities/race/black-whupping-review-stacey-pattons-spare-kids

Let the police discipline our kids. They will only hit them with a club, taser them or just shoot them.
Sounds better than a parent whooping them.

I believe parents or people who want to abuse a child is going to do just that. With or without whoopings.
I do support a parents right to discipline their child, including spankings.
There was a time when our parents did beat their kids using the slave owners methods.
One of my uncles would hang his boys from the basement pipes naked and beat them. Wasn't against the law then. My own Dad(RIP Dad) would tie my older sister and brothers to the pipes under the sink and beat them.
I would cry and run to my mother(RIP Mom) while they were being beat. I had never received a wooping from my Dad. Mama said he would never whoop me. She eventually got him to stop. They were straight off the sharecropper farm and these whoopings seemed normal.
I spanked my son because he responded to spanking with better behaviour. Having him stand in the corner would accomplish nothing for my child.
In ATL there are these groups of young Black youth on a crime wave of car jacking, home invasions, and holding people up on the streets in broad daylight and darkness. These kids are 13, 14, and younger.
Now the parents of these undisplined children are called bad parents. Why?
These young boys and girls need their butts spanked.
Either we discipline our kids or the police will.

30 years later.
My older sister went on to college and got a Masters in sociology. She was a director of MOCSA (Metropolitan Organization to counter sexual assault).
She had a local 30 min TV program on Sat mornings.
Watching her program one Sat, and the topic is abuse. Near the end of her show she confesses "I was abused as a child" and she described the beatings. SHOCKED :eek1:!
I immediately drove to my mothers house. I knew she would be broken hearing her daughter describe her abuse. Which she didn't consider abuse during those days.
When I got to her house she was crying. The phone didn't stop ringing. I could only hug her tight. There was not much to say. My sister had told her truth. I was angry with her a couple days for putting or family business on local television. That was the beginning of her healing, and my understanding what those beatings did to her.
She convinced Mother to go to counseling with her.

Sharing.

I believe parents or people who want to abuse a child is going to do just that. With or without whoopings.
I do support a parents right to discipline their child, including spankings.
There was a time when our parents did beat their kids using the slave owners methods.
One of my uncles would hang his boys from the basement pipes naked and beat them. Wasn't against the law then. My own Dad(RIP Dad) would tie my older sister and brothers to the pipes under the sink and beat them.
I would cry and run to my mother(RIP Mom) while they were being beat. I had never received a wooping from my Dad. Mama said he would never whoop me. She eventually got him to stop. They were straight off the sharecropper farm and these whoopings seemed normal.
I spanked my son because he responded to spanking with better behaviour. Having him stand in the corner would accomplish nothing for my child.
In ATL there are these groups of young Black youth on a crime wave of car jacking, home invasions, and holding people up on the streets in broad daylight and darkness. These kids are 13, 14, and younger.
Now the parents of these undisplined children are called bad parents. Why?
These young boys and girls need their butts spanked.
Either we discipline our kids or the police will.

I can renenber being "spanked" about 3 times in my childhood. And, to this day, I believe I was innocent. Growing up my Mother often weighed around 100 lbs., So it didn't it never hurt. My Dad never "spanked" us at all.It was a big deal to Mom, so we would muster up fake tears so she would stop.

Have you ever heard of "Flailing"? My Grandmother would "flail" us. She would take us in a room, close the door. And, hit a table with a belt. So those outside the room imagined that the one inside was getting torn up.

I talked to many parenrts about spankings, whupings, time outs. I learned alot..My yougen Sister never did any of those things to her daughter.. Yet her child is about to get her Masters from UCLA. She has alway done well, behaived,and never needed whupping. I paterned after her. And, I took Parenting Classes, too.

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back