Black Education / Schools : Why We Need to Homeschool Our Children

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Thelma Jackson-Smith, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    A couple of weeks ago, I suffered something outrageous. Some mother made up a story about my son trying to get him out of the school he attends. He said that my child spat in someone's face.

I sat there all day waiting to meet with this woman. Having been spat on in high school (by a boy), I was ready to make retribution. I was willing to accept expulsion for such an act. But what did I get? Nothing.

I had to call the police station to confirm that there were NO charges filed against my child.

Anyway, being that there is a severe bullying problem going on in our community, the best way to fight back is to homeschool your child. This is an act that is not only legal but also RECOMMENDED by Social Services.

I have been through the system so many times that it is ridiculous. I haven't even done anything wrong except have a slight mental illness AND marry a man that is not of my same culture.

But I am not tolerating outrageous teasing for my child. Now, I can educate him in FREEDOM.

When he gets up, he gets pancakes, eggs and bacon. Then an hour of time watching television, and then about 5 hours of a very RELAXING experience of education.

Everyone is involved in his education. He feels like the prince that he is.

And when he is ready for socialization, so he can meet his princess, it will be done through:

1) Homeschool advocacy groups
    2) Church events
    3) Karate Classes
    4) Community Center events
    5) Community College Classes (where children as old as 17 can get accepted)
    6) Online Dating (once he turns 18)
    7) Events related to the African Diaspora

Is this blueprint that out of the box? Because if you are being hated for no reason, and then your child suffers too, you really have no choice. He or she can have a perfect life, marry have kids and they can have good lives too.

And if you don't have the time to homeschool your child yourself, get Grandma, an Aunt or some other family member to help you.

If they love you, they would be glad to do such a thing.

And once a child turns 13, they should be able to be by themselves within reason. This includes being able to educate themselves.

Even a boyfriend or an ex might be willing to do it. I mean it's a child... and it's a fun experience.

If you tie money to the experience, you should get a better result. Pay what you can... $100 to $1,000 to the family member. If they LOVE you even $100 a month could be sufficient, considering that a child that can read can do the lessons by themselves.

All you really need is a babysitter to make sure they don't get into trouble.

2. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Ratings:
    +161
    In addition, if there is an issue of discipline, you can do what you want when you homeschool a child.

Out in public, when someone spanks their child, there are serious problems. A cop could come up to you and arrest you for child abuse. I had this happen to me... and I wasn't even spanking my child. He was acting bad, crying and I put in him the car to get him to stop. The ignorant fool just assumed that because the child is crying he must be getting beaten up.

Sadly, this was a cop that is the same color as me. Though I suspect the perpetrator that called was white.

I reveal in that memory now. My child not only respects me more (after just two weeks of homeschooling), but he acts really well out in public. Because now, I have the freedom to discipline as I choose.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    every parent may not be qualified as a teacher…..

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Be careful with television. I knew a Sister who home schooled and she only showed her children DVDs. Television isn't behind cultural mores.

Otherwise good recommendation. An issue is availability.

5. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Just how long are you planning on home schooling your child? And how long would you think your family would stop what they are doing just to please you to home-school your child? And why would you pay them when it's free to just send them to school? One bad experience at school shouldn't prompt you to just take your child out of school and all of a sudden home-school them. Have you ever been home-schooled before?

Don't get me wrong I'm for it but i still think children need to be able to socialize with other children. I just don't think its enough excuse to keep your child home for homeschooling because someone said something or done something to that child and/or parents are in fear for their safety.

I have met a parents who home schooled their child til they got to the high school level, then they put them in a christian high school they didn't past the test that was required for them to enter that level but they tried again and past...and i have met parents who didn't have any problem while their kids was in a regular school and they did just fine.

I really do think its fine and dandy but once they get on their own, there just might be some lessons left out that didn't get taught. If you are going to teach, teach everything...

Since you are homeschooling i would recommend all kinds of math, less tv, more reading (anything from china to india) and do all cultural event., not just the african diaspora. I think 5 hours is not enough but thats you....

I'm pretty sure you will be taking your child to the library, museums, zoo, and other educational places too.

Will you put them in sports? I learned now home-schooled kids can go places and play sports with other home-schooled kids. Now that's a good thing, kids needs air and exercise.

6. SeekingMaat

SeekingMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    If you are truly interested in home-schooling, the Aya Educational Institute is a great resource. The are an online school, with professional teachers and course work.

Although this is taken from an old email, below is some information and contact details for the school.

AYA Educational Institute
    [​IMG]
    School Starts Tuesday, Sept. 4th
    2010-2011 Perpetual Open House:

Black Power: THE AYA WAY
    AYA's Leadership-Education Advocacy Program
    (LEAP)

Sunday, July 29th, 7 PM EST
    6 PM EST @ 852 Brafferton Place
    (East Side LEAP SITE)
    Stone Mountain, GA 30083

Simulcasted - online too!
    Click here for Scholarship Assistance

Would you like to talk about your child's educational needs? Click here.
    Dear Kat,

Leadership-Education Advocacy Program
    (Click to learn more)

Youth Leadership Development }} Student Educational Excellence }}
    Community Education }} Educational Advocacy

Youth:
    • Do you have a middle or high schooler to educate? Have you taken on the task of home schooling or would you like to?
    • Do you think your youth needs more Black identity development?
    • Would you like to be sure they'll be ready for college or whatever the future holds?
    • Is your child not being challenged at school? Are they preparing them for a future that no longer exists, jobs that are fading away?
    • Does your child need to develop critical thinking skills from a Black center?
    • Do the teachers in your past or present school love Black youth and Black people?
    Adults:
    • Want to go back and fetch some math, language arts or other skills that you didn't get in school?
    • Want to know about how to really educate your child for this world?
    • Want to really learn about Haiti?
    • Want to learn an African language?
    • How do you educate your children to navigate and work to eradicate oppression without them being consumed by it?
    Would you like to talk more about your child's educational needs? Click here.

AYA is an educational institute; we look at education comprehensively and use the best researched teaching methods to produce both academic and social results. We're in our 12th year with a proven track record for educating our youth into sharp, creative academically and socially prepared adults ready to serve our people and the world.

Learn more about LEAP.

Would you like to know more?
    Join us this
    Sunday, July 29th, 2012; 7 PM EST​

If you're in the Atlanta area, you can come by our admin office at​
    852 Brafferton Place, Stone Mountain, GA 30083.​

If you're out of town, you can still attend. Click here and enter our public online conference room. Don't be late.
    Need Support? 404-292-9002 / 404.201.2356

Still can't get to us?
    Call in via phone conference: 605-475-4800 Pin:779336#

[​IMG]

Meet our co-directors Baba Wekesa, and Mama Afiya. Meet other parents and instructors, as well. See some of our students' work of this past school year.

Ask any questions about curriculum and teaching styles, schedule, tuition, etc.

Come and check us out. Your children deserve the best education possible.

Come and decide if AYA is a match for your needs.

Check out AYA from the comfort of your home, work or nearest wi-fi connection.

Sincerely,

Afiya & Wekesa Madzimoyo
    AYA Educational Institute
    404-292-9002​
    Peace​

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    is every parent a good teacher? is teaching a profession with qualifications and certifications?
    does every parent have the ability and the time to become a teacher?
    who is paying the rent while the parent stays at home teaching?

i think home schooling may be ore complex than folk are saying.

8. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Ratings:
    +161
  9. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Ratings:
    +161
    If there is at least one parent at home to take care of the child, the issue is not as bad as what you are thinking.

My original post is to help single mothers that may not have that option.

So yes, if you are an at-home mom (as I am), and you are financially capable you should be able to homeschool your child without difficulty.

10. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Ratings:
    +161
    As far as certifications, you need to check the laws of your state.

In DC you have to get tested to homeschool your child. With my pro viewpoint, I think that is very wrong. But I would follow it because I want to make sure my child's homeschooling is legal.

In other states there are very light laws surrounding this issue. All you have to do is sign a paper and that's it. You just talk to the Homeschool Board of your district and your problems are solved.

If you live in a state that is restricting your rights to educate your own child, you have to move... if you are an advocate for homeschooling. If you are not, you must deal with the school system and its pitfalls.