Black People Politics : Why we don't have power

While I was at IBM they introduced a machine called a Datamaster 23. It was the replacement for the 5100 luggable computer with a tape drive. I never saw the word benchmark on any IBM documentation. Someone set up a table with the 5100 on the left and the Datamaster 23 on the right. I was working second shift and a night could either be dead or I was running around like a chicken with his head ctu off.

So when I got time I wrote two benchmarks, a bubble sort and a prime numbers program and keyed them in to both machines. Turned out the older machine was almost twice as fast as the new one. That is just the start of the weirdness.

The DM23 used an 8085 processor with 6000 transistors. This was for the General Systems Division that handled what IBM refused to call minicomputers. There was also an Office Products Division selling the DisplayWriter that used the 8086 processor with 29,000 transistors. But as far as marketing was concerned it was a Word Processor not a computer. With the right software it would blow away the DM23.

But there was another 3 letter corporation, NEC Nippon Electric Corporation, with the APC computer with an 8086 processor for about $3000 less than the DisplayWriter and with a color screen.

I had to tell myself not to laugh at the idiots when I got a call on the DataMaster 23.

The trouble is that the corporations are turning the planets resources into garbage. Black Americans setting the objective of equality with Whites is nonsense because the system is designed to screw over most White people.

That is the point of the book I posted back on page 17.

PS: 29,000 transistors is such a joke these days. LOL

You know what? You are a very intelligent man. I like the way your mind works and relates information. People may not always understand you because it's like linking 2 tables in a database without a key. You draw upon your own experiences in electronics and computer systems which gives you an internal key. I also appreciated the short story more than you know. There are lessons to be learned from what you have shared. And that time period reminds me of when I first started to become interested in computers. Most people may only be familiar with the PC, but I remember when my father took me to work one day. He was, then, a 'data analyst' but this was the early days where they were probably still trying to figure out what to call everyone. I saw all these large machines, some that looked like washing machines. The image I retained blazed into my long-term memory. Everything was big because the processes for making everything was bigger. Now the processes are on the nanometer scale. That's a huge difference, but...

Let's say you have a car. The car gets trapped in the shrinking ray from Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Does the car have the same amount of power? Think about it. At its new size, even though the components are the same and in tact, it cannot contain the same amount of gas. However, due to its shrinkage, it cannot possibly weigh the same and therefore cannot require as much torque in order to move. And now that I'm conscious that I'm speaking to an engineer, please forgive any ignorance on my part relevant to your realm of expertise. But with it needing less power and consuming less power it would also take more revolutions of its tires and therefore all engine components to travel the same distance as the larger version. I know you see where I'm going with this.

Newer systems aren't automatically more powerful. They're simply more efficient and built to work together in parallel. A company can do more than one person because it intelligently distributes the workload. So touching economics for a sec... part of the game is this concept of organizational structures. A company can do more than a single individual like an organ can do more than a single cell. A corporation can do more than a company like a body can do more than a single organ. Even if you have a greater number of people (population) if they are disorganized... then what you have is a bunch of individuals who can only handle individual instructions relative to their own lives. I'm talking about socio-economics now. Because we operate as individuals, according to American culture (individualism) we have actually lost the tribal mentality and group economics of our ancestry. This is why Kwanzaa was developed to try and reintroduce these elements back into our modern culture and that internal programming that spirituality represents. If we can actually embody these principles and apply Ujima and Ujamaa... then we will begin to work like a SYSTEM.

What's bigger than any corporation is a nation. Corporations like Disney even operate their own territory like a mini nation-state. And again, this is where spirituality comes into play because the black community currently does not operate with these internalized precepts. If we did... (and this would make us a threat simply because it would make us more powerful) the same benefit of organization that makes a corporation able to do things a single person couldn't dream of doing on their own, is the same way that a "race", even one that was manufactured from the standpoint of trying to dominate and control it, could rise up and become more powerful than those who created it. Because their "SYSTEM" is old and no longer maintained like it was when it was legal and organized as such. Now racism is still systemic, but not because of overt legal action, but rather covert individual action from people who do have it within their individual "spirit" (internal programming). And they pass that on, culturally, to their children in ways that we and other whites interrupt with DEI (Diversity Equity and Inclusion) and spreading the awareness of the fact that racism is wrong. You would think they would understand that by now but as I said before... what we would consider cheating is part of their gameplay and not considered cheating if it is LEGAL-which simply means the law hasn't condemned it, which, by virtue of the fact, means that their democratic population hasn't collectively condemned it by representation of the courts.

Going back into the computer metaphor, those large systems were designed to act on their own. But now we have servers that are connected all around the world, creating a virtual hive mind that I often compare to the "omniscience" of what people believe to be God. And so when we say "The Internet" are we talking about one thing? Or are we talking about a collection of many? The power of it, which we can freely tap into and are using right now for the very purpose of sharing knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, is that it connects the otherwise disconnected. And on it, we create organized structures. Social media platforms are like cities whereas Destee is comparable to a small apartment where people communicate but also have a natural instinct to defend the territory against outsiders. New people with new ideas have to prove themselves worthy. While in the city, it doesn't matter because everyone's voice is drowned out by every other voice. It's basically a virtual neural network of individual nodes communicating enabled by the hardware and software versions of the same linking across distances.

The ability to organize this... That is the key to god-like power.

Of course, we don't have to go that far. However, going that far in theory helps to see what needs to be done in practice and how it might be accomplished. For example... the idea struck me that we need to form a virtual corporation. People within that corporation can all have their own personal LLCs or whatever business entity type they choose. But the purpose of the virtual "umbrella" corporation would allocate people based on their professions, into support roles. The internet does this to a certain extent. If you need information and you do a search, where does it take you? Most likely to something written by a subject matter expert because that's what the algorithm uses as a framework to rank the search results. And because there is competition baked into those results, the best information is more likely to come up first. The genius of how this plays out is the result of many minds working together. In a virtual corporation, effort could be distributed as long as people doing the work can receive compensation. I'm still trying to figure out how that system could work but I feel like it has to be possible. In fact, it could look something like Fiverr but it would have to have some kind of "brain", or governing body, that takes and ranks the ideas based on how much profit they can generate, and assign them to project managers that can then access all the people and producers across a wide range of virtual departments to actually put some time in, in exchange for owning a percentage of that project. If there are enough people dividing the workload it should theoretically be easier and take far less time for each person involved. This could make things previously thought impossible, possible. One can compare this to all the names we see in movie credits. Everyone got paid but only the amount based on their contribution.

Note: how efficient is it really for an individual to work at one company, rather than being able to provide the same role for different companies? In fact, this is already the case if the company you work at is B2B or B2C because in either case you're still doing work on behalf of different clients or "end users".

Let's say each person in the black community is a transistor. Again, please overlook my ignorance if my logic isn't exactly sound. But let's say every black person is a transistor in the 8086 processor. Just because it has that many processors doesn't mean each one is being utilized. That's just the capacity. If a system has a hard drive with a capacity of 5TB someone like me would find a use to fill that space where another user would never come close. Capacity doesn't equate to power. When I created this thread, this is kind of what I meant. It's not to say that we don't have the capacity, but we don't have actual power because our individualized operations aren't utilized to the betterment of our community and society. So even if I am doing well in my middle-class existence, that doesn't benefit anyone outside my immediate family. I add to our capacity for greatness but not to our actual greatness. One of the lessons to be learned from Xbox vs PC was that software can be designed to take specific advantage of specific hardware.

As the programming goes from human to machine (interpreted vs compiled) it gets faster but the machine language is what directly interfaces with hardware. So even if the hardware is the capacity to be more powerful, when it is not correctly administrated by programming it cannot reach its full potential. We are all different from each other. As much as we are negatively categorized as inferior in all these different ways, and as much as we push back against those lies and propaganda, fighting not to internalize it at the same time, we have to stop allowing our differences to make us incompatible software with each other so that we can work together and organize into something bigger and stronger than a corporation. That's not only playing the game, but elevating it.

IMHO...

Thank you for conversing with me. I appreciate your insights.

Sorry.

Basically... most of what you do on the internet is data-driven. Like this website. All the information exists inside a database.

Databases are kind of like spreadsheets wired together. The "key" represents the field in one table that exists in other table which allows one spreadsheet to be combined or refer to another.

Your brain even works in somewhat the same fashion. Although I already knew this, while on the Cruise there was a magician who taught a seminar on memory and how to use photographic memory to increase what you can learn and recall. Long story very short, we all have photographic memories so if you can store things you want to remember by creating a visual "key" you can remember anything with near perfect recall.

As this relates to the conversation...

Professionals who specialize in different fields often use terminology that mainly exists within that field in order to quickly communicate more complex ideas specific to that industry. I don't come from an engineering background but I'm able to understand more as it relates to general computing. I used assemble and disassemble computers so I know their parts. But umbrarchist can go a lot deeper into the hardware side of computing than I can. But still, there is a certain level we both understand and therefore that can act as a "key" in helping to communicate these more complex ideas because of what we both know about the frame of reference.

Similarly, black people know that we need to work together. However, perhaps part of the problem is finding that "key" to act as a frame of reference that we can all unite on. In some ways we do already have that, but its generally the negative understanding and experience of racism which is destructive. We can all use that to greatly understand the negatives of discrimination in ways more privileged people cannot. However... I have to wonder if we have enough of a constructive "key" to help us build together or if we are somehow in the process of creating it.

Sorry.

Basically... most of what you do on the internet is data-driven. Like this website. All the information exists inside a database.

Databases are kind of like spreadsheets wired together. The "key" represents the field in one table that exists in other table which allows one spreadsheet to be combined or refer to another.

Your brain even works in somewhat the same fashion. Although I already knew this, while on the Cruise there was a magician who taught a seminar on memory and how to use photographic memory to increase what you can learn and recall. Long story very short, we all have photographic memories so if you can store things you want to remember by creating a visual "key" you can remember anything with near perfect recall.

As this relates to the conversation...

Professionals who specialize in different fields often use terminology that mainly exists within that field in order to quickly communicate more complex ideas specific to that industry. I don't come from an engineering background but I'm able to understand more as it relates to general computing. I used assemble and disassemble computers so I know their parts. But umbrarchist can go a lot deeper into the hardware side of computing than I can. But still, there is a certain level we both understand and therefore that can act as a "key" in helping to communicate these more complex ideas because of what we both know about the frame of reference.

Similarly, black people know that we need to work together. However, perhaps part of the problem is finding that "key" to act as a frame of reference that we can all unite on. In some ways we do already have that, but its generally the negative understanding and experience of racism which is destructive. We can all use that to greatly understand the negatives of discrimination in ways more privileged people cannot. However... I have to wonder if we have enough of a constructive "key" to help us build together or if we are somehow in the process of creating it.
FWIW : back in the day i made a living using COBOL & DB2 on an IBM mainframe.
i didn't know the RDMS would allow you to create a table with no key.
i was just wondering how you linked tables with no keys.

:10500:

FWIW : back in the day i made a living using COBOL & DB2 on an IBM mainframe.
i didn't know the RDMS would allow you to create a table with no key.
i was just wondering how you linked tables with no keys.

:10500:
oh I didn't know you knew about databases.

What I was saying before was using relative databases without a key as a metaphor for the difficulty in understanding someone if you couldn't relate. I wasn't saying "without a key" is something good or easy.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back