Black People Politics : WHY VOTING ALONE CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Nov 29, 2014.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    You said I had issues. We determined that your response was
    irrelevant. I was attempting to understand, with your help, what
    were/are the issue I am bent on because I fail to see that with
    regard to your post.

It usually does end in 'futility' when folk respond to a thread with stuff that has very little
    to nothing to do with what the thread is about.

We (use to) call that jacking a thread.

2. Storymaster

Storymaster Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    ...Don't remember "US' deciding anything together. Maybe you should have called it a night ( morning) and gone to bed.

...Funny, from my perspective, it usually ends in futility when "folk" are combative, over defensive and arrogant. I'm from N.Y. We call that being difficult!.

3. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    Okay then elaborate where is the relationship between what you wrote, that got us to this point, and the premise of the thread? Maybe you, teacher of 45 years should take a sabbatical.

What's even funnier is folk post stuff
    that do not relate to the topic of the thread.
    However, for you, I'm gonna hold out a little faith
    that you can show how what you posted that
    lead us to this point in our exchange relates
    to the premise of this thread.

If you refuse to do that, then this particular
    exchange ends with your last word ( hence "Us deciding"),
    but if you show said 'relationship' then perhaps we can
    get into an exchange that is a bit or more, substantive.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    upstate or LI?

5. Storymaster

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    ...as I said...No Thanks!...those who forget history are destined to repeat it!

6. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    A Preview of Jeb Bush’s Super PAC Donors: Titans, Tycoons and Lobbyists
    By Lee Fang

Agents for foreign governments fall under special transparency rules, meaning several have already had to
    disclose their donations in filings with the Justice Department. Ignacio Sanchez, a former trade official for
    President George W. Bush, is a lobbyist for Saudi Arabia. Sanchez gave $5,000 to Right to Rise on February
    17, the same day that George Salem, another lobbyist retained by the Saudi government to influence American
    policy, gave the group $10,000. A day later, former Sen. Don Nickles, R-Ok., now a lobbyist for Wal-Mart,
    ExxonMobil, Taiwan and the Republic of Korea, among other clients, gave $5,000 to Right to Rise.

Although Bush has not named the donors giving to his PACs, certain donors, including state-level PACs, are
    obligated to disclose on a different schedule. These disclosures show that Florida politicians have dipped into
    their own campaign funds to support Right to Rise. The Florida Conservative Leadership Fund, associated with
    state Rep. Dana Young, R-Tampa, gave $5,000 to Bush’s Super PAC in February. Among other Florida PACs,
    Growing Florida’s Future chipped in $25,000, Liberty Florida gave $5,000, and the Treasure Coast PAC
    gave $1,000.

Read more: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...-lobbyists-carlyle-group-florida-republicans/
    A Preview of Jeb Bush’s Super PAC Donors: Titans, Tycoons and Lobbyists
    theintercept.com

7. Storymaster

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    ...born and raised in the So. So. Bronx and Harlem

8. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    $200 Million Went to House Members to Pass Fast Track – Here's Who Took the Cash

TPA passed with a mere 219-211 vote with only 218 needed to pass. The real shocker comes from the amount
    of money each Representative received for a yes vote. In total, $197,869,145 was given to Representatives for a
    yes vote where as $23,065,231 was given in opposition.

• John Boehner (R-OH) received $5.3 million for a "yea" vote and was the highest paid legislator.
    • Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) received $2.4 million for his "yea" vote.
    • Paul Ryan (R-WI) received $2.4 million for a "yea" vote and came in at the third highest paid legislator.
    • Pat Tiberi (R-OH) follows Paul Ryan, coming in the fourth spot having received $1.6 million for his "yea" vote.

• Joe Crowley (D-NY) received 1.3 million for a "yea" vote and only $72,550 for a "nay" vote and he still voted against TPA.
    • Patrick Murphy (D-FL) received 1.1 million for a "yea" vote and only $213,360 for a "nay" vote and still voted against it.
    • Richard Neal D(MA) received $1.1 million for a "yea" vote and a mere $47,625 for a "nay" vote and still voted against it.
    • Mick Mulvaney (R-SC) received $541,746 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay!"
    • Andy Harris (R-MD) received $254,803 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay".
    • Thomas Massie (R-KY) received $250,328 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay."
    • Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) received $180,832 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay vote" and she still voted "nay."
    - See more at: http://www.occupy.com/article/200-m...ck-–-heres-who-took-cash#sthash.iIZ0OS7h.dpuf

$200 Million Went to House Members to Pass Fast Track – Here's Who Took the Cash

John Boehner received $5.3 million for a "yea" vote on Trade Promotion Authority, while Kevin McCarthy received $2.4 million and Paul Ryan took $2.4 million.
    occupy.com

9. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    “Yes, We’re Corrupt”: A List of Politicians Admitting That Money Controls Politics

One of the most embarrassing aspects of U.S. politics is politicians who deny that money has any impact on what they do. For
    instance, Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania’s notoriously fracking-friendly former governor, got $1.7 million from oil and gas
    companies but assured voters that “The contributions don’t affect my decisions.” If you’re trying to get people to vote for you,
    you can’t tell them that what they want doesn’t matter.

...Examples of actual politicians acknowledging the glaringly obvious reality.

”When these political action committees give money, they expect something in return other than good government. … Poor
    people don’t make political contributions. You might get a different result if there were a poor-PAC up here.” — Bob Dole,
    former Republican Senate Majority Leader and 1996 GOP Presidential nominee, in 1983.

“Money is the mother’s milk of politics.” — Jesse Unruh, Speaker of the California Assembly in the 1960s and California State
    Treasurer in the 1970s and 80s.

Read more: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/30/politicians-admitting-obvious-fact-money-affects-vote/

“Yes, We’re Corrupt”: A List of Politicians Admitting That Money Controls Politics

It's a relief to hear politicians acknowledge the obvious reality that all Americans see in front of their faces.
    theintercept.com

10. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    • “I gave to many people, before this, before two months ago, I was a businessman. I give to everybody. When they call, I give. And do you know what? When I need something from them two years later, three years later, I call them, they are there for me. And that’s a broken system.” — Donald Trump in 2015.

• “The millionaire class and the billionaire class increasingly own the political process, and they own the politicians that go to them for money. … We are moving very, very quickly from a democratic society, one person, one vote, to an oligarchic form of society, where billionaires would be determining who the elected officials of this country are.” — Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., in 2015. (Thanks to Robert Wilson in comments.)

• “Across the spectrum, money changed votes. Money certainly drove policy at the White House during the Clinton administration, and I’m sure it has in every other administration too.” — Joe Scarborough, four-term Republican congressman from Florida and now co-host of “Morning Joe,” in the 1990s. (Thanks to rrheard in comments.)

Read more:https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...oliticians-admitting-money-controls-politics/

“You’ve Got to Cozy Up”: More Politicians Admitting That Money Controls Politics

We asked you for more examples of politicians telling the truth about big money and politics, and you definitely delivered.
    theintercept.com