Black People Politics : Why The Immigration Debate Matters To You!

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Aluku, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    First. I do not fault immigrants for wanting to come to America. I'm one myself :)

BUT here is the thing. There are many states where YOU can not get hired for even basic minimum wage jobs because you do not speak spanish!

This is already the case in Miami, some cities in California, Texas, Arizona and may come to your city.

So why do political parties support this? They calculate that they will gain an electoral advantage. Do they care about you, as a loyal voter? You be the judge...

What can you do? Call your congressman.

More info:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/11/5487912/black-american-leadership-alliance.html

2. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    *sigh*

1. I'm so tired of being an 'informed citizen'. What good does it do me?

2. Are we talking illegals or transplant/new citizens from elsewhere?
    If these immigrants are citizens then I don't understand the hub-bub.
    For the most part, spanish-speakers are preferred in areas with a high spanish-speaking populace. Different ethnic groups tend to stick together in certain parts of the country. It's not like the spanish- speakers are going to spread about the country stealing everyone's job.
    You don't see too many black folks in the Dakotas, do you?

** UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT**
    *laugh*
    -- It's on the individual to remain competitive - to be valuable - in the job market. No one owes you a livelihood. No one owes you a job, even if you're a college grad.
    Some of these idealistic college kids need help understanding this.

-- As far as spanish speakers taking our jobs?
    If you don't want anyone 'stealing' your job, why don't you get a REAL job that requires a REAL skillset?
    Learn a trade. Go to school.
    The educated (with EXPERIENCE) and our highly skilled craftsman sure as hell aren't hurting.

This situation is really nothing to do with me, anyway.
    To be honest, I speak for plenty within this community who couldn't get a 'basic minimum wage job' if we tried.
    There's a blessing and a curse to to having a specialized degree or skillset.
    No hotel will hire us to clean their rooms...because they know that we're likely to leave once the job market improves (and they're right. Although, I would give proper notice and train my replacement).
    No company will hire us to serve up their food or be customer service persons or clean their toilets...because we're overqualified.
    No LTC (nursing home) will pay me to be an aide or tech...because they'd have to pay me an RN salary to perform the work (b/c I'm responsible for all to the limits of my license).

-- Let the 'Great Race to The Bottom', begin.
    Who the hell wants a 'basic minimum wage' job?
    The day that I see black folks en masse fighting these damned 'mescans' over scraps is the day that we've truly lost it as a people... which coincides with the day that I completely wash my hands of everyone in this community but our children, our sickly and our elders.

I will back up anyone. I will support to the limit of my ability. I have.

... but I could seriously give a -10 'damns' for these able-bodied persons who can do better but choose to underperform - who've become comfortable and accepting of subpar conditions or working for what shouldn't even be considered a 'liveable wage'.
    I'm talking about these black trash gang members, these stupid males who can't keep themselves out of jail, these stupid women who can't stop breeding hordes of children into poverty with losers, etc....

Race/ethnicity, notwithstanding.
    In fact, it's probably because they're 'cultural kin' that I've taken a hardened, hardnosed approach.
    *shrug*
    You're always going to be tougher on your kin.
    I'm not all 'pan african' but that doesn't mean that I don't feel a sense of urgency.
    'We' absolutely are running out of time, I feel. There's a segment of our group - the victims of self-inflicted wounds - who can't stop tripping over their own feet long enough to get out of their own way.
    I mean - just *bleeping* up!
    ...and they really need to get it together.

3. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    When San Bernardino High School teens Jazanique Jackson, Ashanae Brown and Kimyen Hawkins decided they wanted to work this summer, they left nothing to chance.

They knew the rules: plan ahead; role play; be positive; adapt; relate and encourage. So when they hit the streets to start their summer job search they were prepared for virtually every eventuality except one.

¿No habla ingles? Can't speak Spanish.

"We were shocked. We applied at places like McDonalds, Burger King and Jack in the Box. We went to shoe stores, pizza parlors and convenience stores. The workers were overwhelmingly Spanish speaking. Pretty much they always ask us, 'Do you speak Spanish?' They said we prefer bilingual," says Jazanique. And, as an American who only speaks English, her answer leaves her without the job. "It's hard when you can't even get an interview because you don't speak Spanish," said Jazanique.

For Jazanique, Ashanae and Kimyen the job hunting experience is both frustrating and sobering.

The unemployment rate among African-American teens is shockingly six times the national rate. This according to the U.S. Department of Labor translates into approximately 296,000 African-American teenagers actively seeking employment who are finding it difficult to secure a job.

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=f088ab75832d544aabb00cb2d50dbae2

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    millions of Americans with real skills are unemployed and under employed…..

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    immigrants steal jobs from black people…...