Black People : Why the 10-Percent had to crush Aristide

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kannte, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Kannte, do you have any recent data on the hourly or annual wages paid to workers in Haiti?

I read the article at your link and it made me recall something I learned years ago when I was in college, taking a social science class. At that time we were studying capitalism and how corporations, when driven by increased profits, can destroy a town and displace workers, when they relocate to places with a lower tax base and no worker protection laws or unions.

I then wondered whether we, as US consumers, realize we perpetuate and contribute to poor working conditions and poverty for some workers when we consume products here in America.

Years ago I learned that workers in Haiti, working hours on end in "sweat shops", were paid 25 cents an hour to make discount coupons that we use in America to save money when we purchase products in our neighborhood stores. The same coupons that we find in our mailboxes every month, and Sunday newspapers. I learned that the majority, if not all of these coupons are manufactured in Haiti at slave wages. Now I don't know if that's still true today, but my suspicion tells me that it is and hasn't gotten much better in terms of the amount of wages the average citizen in Haiti earns.

As countries try their hardest to compete in the global economy, they offer incentives to major corporations to invest in their countries. Low corporate taxes, low wages--greater bang for the buck. But often the economic and political systems clash. A company can pull its resources and devastate a country that is primarily dependent on foreign aid for support in order to sustain itself. Many of these smaller countries don't have natural resources to sell other than human resources. The cheaper it costs a company to purchase workers, the greater the incentive.

My question is, why won't the US let Haitians migrate here? Could it be because it would deplete the workforce necessary for these US corporations to maintain it's high profit margins to satisfy their stockholders? Are any of these companies in our stock portfolios? Do we use coupons when we go to the grocery stores and ultimately perpetuate the existence of poverty in Haiti? When US corporations were pressured to divest in South Africa, why not Haiti?

What do you think?

Queenie :spinstar:

3. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Peace NNQueen:

To Answer your question, “. . . [D]o you have any recent data on the hourly or annual wages paid to workers in Haiti?”

According to a recent article on the "Haiti Support Group" web site, http://haitisupport.gn.apc.org/Bracken.htm as October 2003

" . . . [A] 24-year-old living in the impoverished neighborhood of Drouillard, received 55 gourdes a day when she started working as a supervisor at Sohaco textile assembly plant four years ago. Now she makes 110 gourdes ($2.60 today) a day, but the wage increase has had little impact. "Now the cost of living is so much higher," she said, "that 110 gourdes is basically the same as 55 gourdes was."

“Why won't the US let Haitians migrate here? Could it be because it would deplete the workforce necessary for these US corporations to maintain it's high profit margins to satisfy their stockholders?”

You are correct, to some degree that Haitian immigration to the US would deplete the work force of Haiti of cheap laborers. But only if at least half or a third of the Haitian migrated to America. But the obvious reason they don’t want the Haitian people to immigrate to the US in particular is that they are not only black, but they are the most revolutionary people in the Western Hemisphere. White folks never forget that the nation of Haitian was the first in the Western Hemisphere to win its Independence. Just like white folks never will let Cuba live down the fact that it was going to allow Russian missiles to be placed in its country.

Are any of these companies in our stock portfolios? Without doubt.

Do we use coupons when we go to the grocery stores and ultimately perpetuate the existence of poverty in Haiti? Indeed, we do.

When US corporations were pressured to divest in South Africa, why not Haiti? Because not enough world pressure has been applied to Haiti to cause corporations to divest.

So now this brings us to the larger, international arena; the BIG picture, the globe economy.

One philosopher said,

“[T]hose who prefer to . . . believe that globalism is pure folly, I can only explain to you that it must happen. It is the outward expression of who we are and it is the natural progression of our species to unify around the inner essence [Soul and DNA] of our [human] identity, instead of the outer facade of our particular nation or religious belief.

“I believe everyone understands this to varying degrees, but it is the methods of this unification that concern people. And I share this concern. If we’re collectively informed about the PLAN and understand the end-goal is something that holds a great promise for humanity, we can pursue this goal with greater velocity and with added confidence that the methods will be in everyone’s best interest. This must be our goal."

But the question is, in the future One World economy where will the African and South American people be? Will their best interest be served in a One World Order? Will these countries just be used for natural resources or will they have a equal share in the policies that will govern the world economy and New World Order?

All the major religions of the world have hinted that humanity is one. The teaching of the Buddha, the religion of Prophet Muhammad and the Qur’an, Jesus and the New Testament have all taught that humanity is one regardless of our nationalities, race or religion.

One sure, way situations and conditions that allow corporations to ship jobs and manufacturing to nations like Haiti, can be prevented is through a One World Economy, a one world currency, a One World Minimum Wage and International Policy Council regarding the Minimum Wage of all nations. The problem with that idea is how do the 7 billion human being on Earth agree to such international agreement and arrangement of their own free will and consent? There would be no use for a American corporation to ship manufacturing plants overseas to undeveloped nation for cheap labor if all people of the world were being paid a equivalent currency and Minimum wage in value.

Hotep NNQueen.