Black People : Why Study History

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Tariq Muhammad, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Tariq Muhammad

Tariq Muhammad Active Member MEMBER

Computer Sales & Repair
    Ratings:
    +25
    The study of history cannot be a mere celebration of these who struggled on our behalf. We must be instructed by history and should transform history into concrete reality into planning and development into the construction of power and the ability to ensure our survival as a people. If not Black History Month becomes an exercise in the inflation of egos it becomes an exercise that cuts us further off from reality. Ironically we now see even other people who are not our friends joining us in this celebration which mean that they must see in it some means of protecting their own interests and see in it something that works for them and possibly against us. If they can celebrate our history and see it in a revolutionary sense. They do not see our study of it as a threat to their power. If we are not studying it in a way that is a threat to their power than we are studying it incorrectly and our celebration of it is helping to maintain us in a state of deception. So let us make sure that we look at and study history in a light such that advances our interests not inflates our egos and blind us to reality.

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    well said

i couldn't agree more, i fall into the trap of just appreciating the strength of the ancestors

i welcome this i think Clyde Coger has some great ideas, anything must start from a base form and i believe Clyde is developing that base and if the base can grow the promise will be realized

thank you for the post Bro. T

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Amen to that! Yes, we must re-program ourselves through true study of our history.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Sho nuff!

:bowdown:
    And I bow to Brothers Clyde and Tariq and Warrior and Brown Hornet and MetaSaience and Lilpea and others who are working toward applying those lessons through Destee.com!

5. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Dr Clarke said it best

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5784756819358533059#

6. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    We must now make history,
    "Look at yourselves. Some of you teenagers, students. How do you think I feel and I belong to a generation ahead of you - how do you think I feel to have to tell you, 'We, my generation, sat around like a knot on a wall while the whole world was fighting for its hum an rights - and you've got to be born into a society where you still have that same fight.' What did we do, who preceded you ? I'll tell you what we did. Nothing. And don't you make the same mistake we made...."

El Hajj Malik Shabbazz

7. carsonh

carsonh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student, volunteer (not really a "job" i
    Ratings:
    +18
    Be wary not to be too fast to study history just to threaten the power of others less we become the "others". Respect must be in all things we do and attempt, to , therefore, study history with the pre-disposition of threatening the power of others we have by passed the nature of respect.

Undoubtedly in our quest we will come across countless occurrences where we have be severely disadvantaged and downtroddened by those in power, but even if 99% of the stories are like this we will banish the 1% to the hells of our minds and our history by not caring enough to respect history.

History is not a tool to be used to tamper with our minds but rather it should justly put the things of the past in proper perspective so that proper advancement can be achieved and real development undertaken. For too long the HIS-story of old has been plagued with lies and inaccuracies and some of us have countered with pretentious and further inaccurate stories.

Black history month was a good idea but a bunch of folly if I am to be honest. The past and heritage of a people is not to be placed on a podium for 28/29 short days of the year and the placed in the bowels of someone else's agenda the other days. People uplift the greatness of Afrikan history(inaccurately at times) during this month and sometimes leave out the truth or paint incomplete pictures of the past. You tell children stories of heroes and heroines so that they may feel good, but you give adults the truth so that they apply it to their realities.

Do not be quick to misuse history to threaten the power of others..we will fall into the same category of those we attempt to threaten.

peace love and guidance.

8. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    We realy have to look at our gadgetry..

Are we realy serious about being realy serious about developing the Backbone of the Future of the National Black community?
    If Kemetic literature
    and Yoruba poetry are not taught in the schools in and as anadjunct curriculum to English, grammer and syntax, could we at least make this available via audio classes and lectures, that could be exchanged throughout the community?
    and the same with an adjuct curricullum of the African roots of math and science.

The knoledge of self was not some catchy phrase from the NOI, nor a Masonic, Secret, nor the sign over the door of a benevolent program, within the Matrix.

It is an inestimatable, tool and construct of the basis of self esteem, within a young mind.

White Supremacy expressed itself here in NYC in 3 basic steps

1 The denial of the Curriculum of Inclusion, fostered by NYS Regent, Dr. Adelaide Sanford, Dr. leonard Jeffries, and Dr. McIntosh from CEMOTAP, along with the extensive media efforts of radio-activist Bob Law

2 With the knowledge of how this element of historical education would develop self esteem,
    Mario Cuomo, the govenor, sent his wife to Italy to do research on Italio-American history to bring back and implement in schools in , thier neighborhoods, as a remedy for the high drop outrate for thier kids

3 And the knot on the noose was for Bloomberg to single handedly, like a nazi commandant to run the NYC school system without beurocracy, nor any checks or balances or community input, of any significant value.

Now you see this is why a national, state by state, collective effort regarding the dissemination of real knowledge that has been barred thus far, must be made available to all of our youth at an early age.
    It can be woven and transprocessed into video games,
    just as the African folktale, was a way of transmitting deeper wisdoms through childrens stories.

The techology for such an endeavor is there, as well as the minds of young men and women with the melanin count of Granville T Woods, and Elijah McCoy to create the new technology of historical education dissemination.
    learning can once again be fun and a competition as it was for thier ancestors 500 years ago.

9. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I believe that there are a great many things one can lean from studying human history. Human history is not just the events that accrued over time. It also covers the developments of architecture, of both structures and of societal /cultural engineering. History covers our failings as well as some true accomplishments. Studying African cultural accomplishments as well as understanding all of the Euro-western failures. Anilaizing the great many failings of western culture should be of paramount concern to us....

The great lessons to be learned from history are both the “What works” and “what has always failed” Dominance over the masses by force has always failed. I think some here can post some of there favorite lessons they see as significant. It would be interesting to read what some of you think of as having relevance toward our great future.

With Love, Corvo