Black Christians : Why So Many Divisions in Christianity?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Destee, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Why are there so many divisions in Christianity ... like Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc.?

Which one was first?

Are the ones that came after the first, considered any less "Christian" than the first?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i wonder that myself when we as black folk have been taught that there is only one god,now of course we know that groups have been using religion for their own purposes.

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I'd love to take a shot at this question:

I believe that Paul the apostle called it 'schisms'. He said that although it is not a good thing, for the sake of the Christians it was permitted.

Also, I believe it is so very similar to the early Jewish 'sects' that were formed in the early days of the Roman Empire such as 'the pharisiac sect', 'the Saducees' and etc. Although these sectarian Jews based their origins on 'the Jews' they were influenced by the Roman government and so they had differing views. For example, the Pharisees believed in Resurrection but, the Saducees did not.

The Christian sect arose, I think, based upon some of the same principles that caused division in the Roman days. Many Europeans began to conflict with the Roman 'pope' ideology and 'Cathlocism' and therefore a movement called, the Protestant Movement formed. Many Europeans began to 'protest' against things like, 'the edification of Mary' as being divine, paying money for sins, and more. Some of the Protestant sects differ because they formed in different countries and under different leaders.

I'm just getting a better understanding on 'the Episcopalian'[sp]. This was the sect that Queen Elizabeth was connected to and it was based upon a strict adherance to the letters that Paul the Apostle wrote.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Sister Destee,

The divisions or denominations of what we call Christianity result from tolerance. American religion, the same as the Roman Catholic religion, found room inside the traditional framework for outside beliefs from different cultures, and the first, as you put it, would be the Catholic or Universal Church. A reformation of Christendom led by Martin Luther; first open that door through protesting the interpretation of scripture, from which we get the word Protestant. All so-called denominations, as well as non-denominations are Protestants by definition, though the same Bible is used. Anyone that comes along can splinter from a main religious belief and gather a following, form a different group, thereby creating the divisions we see today. Currently, there are around 248 different groups/divisions.

Speaking to which group is considered less Christian, the ones that came after the first so to speak, such as Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc…in my view and understanding of the word of God, it would be better understood to be degrees of rewards rather than seen as any less Christian based upon timelines.

5. Demijo

Demijo Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Denominations are a property of churches and church leaders. A denomination is just a group of church leaders who have decided to affiliate with eachother because they share certain insignificant variations or roots.

There's some traditional differences, especially with some traditional Roman Catholics who have mixed and altered the Bible to mix it with Roman beliefs, but any Christian should be welcome in any church today regardless of denomination.

Catholics have been inching back towards the Bible but power still rests with the Pope, who is typically a puppet of the Vatican. Popes have been assassinated by the Vatican for rejecting papal tradition and embracing the simple truths of the Bible. This is why I sometimes don't classify Catholicism as Christianity, even though most "Catholics" I know follow the Bible and not the Pope.

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Because we have so many people with varying interpretations of the religion. And since religion is created by people and people, though alike in many ways, have varying degrees of differentiation.

Ditto with Clyde's answer.

Because faith is the main ingredient, far be it from me to say what denomination is "less" xian. Many religions/spiritual concepts have undergone some form of fission throughout the existence of woman and man.

7. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Peace,

Because somebody decided there was more than enough money to go around. :wink:

Peace
    Precise

8. Mrdc66

Mrdc66 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    How many blacks in the bible

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Bunches Mrdc66 and welcome to Destee.com

10. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Human nature ,
    not wanting to embrace spiritual nature for the common good,
    and that is why you can find 5 different store front churches of the same denomination on the same street that won't fellowship with each other.

Sometimes we want progress but most of the time we just want what we want