Black Entertainment : Why so few black horror movies?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Jan 3, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Was a random thought while flipping through some clips on youtube and coming across Silent Hill 1 & 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls059633855

Only one I can really think of is the one with the killer leprechaun trying to get his gold back.
    Haunted House with Marlon Wayans doesn't count either.

How come there are so few, if any, "black" horror movies?
    What would a decent "black" horror movie look like?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Blacula (1972)
    Blacula
    has become synonymous with black horror, and with good reason. It was not only one of the earliest and most successful movies in the influential "Blaxploitation" era, but it's also a pretty darn good film. Budgetary limitations and '70s-era fashion aside, it's well-acted and atmospheric with a few genuinely creepy moments.

Scream, Blacula, Scream (1973)
    A decent follow-up to the original Blaxploitation classic, Scream, Blacula, Scream finds Mamuwalde awakened by aspirnig voodoo priest "Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout" Willis (Richard Lawson) because, well, he' s an idiot. Mamuwalde proceeds to turn him into a vampire slave, and then Willis turns his girlfriend Denny (Lynne Moody) into a vampire,

Sugar Hill (AKA The Zombies of Sugar Hill) (1974)
    Sugar Hill is one of the more overlooked high-quality blaxploitation movies, surprisingly not warranting an official DVD release as of 2009. Its scarcity is even more baffling given it comes from American International Pictures (AIP), the company that distributed high-profile blaxploitation flicks like Foxy Brown, the Blacula films and Black Caesar, not to mention horror fare like Frogs, Abby and The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Whatever the reason, the only way to see Sugar Hill nowadays is via a bootleg copy or a once-a-year airing on American Movie Classics.

Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984)

Candyman (1992)
    Outside of Blacula, perhaps no figure personifies "black horror" more than Candyman. And like Blacula, the iconicity is deserved. This movie is one of the most atmospheric and genuinely frightening films of the '90s -- granted, it's much scarier before Candyman (Tony Todd) reveals himself to be a rather mild-mannered-looking dude with a retro fashion sense and, judging from his hooked hand

Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)

Spirit Lost (1996)
    Really more of an erotic drama than a horror movie, Spirit Lost is like an episode of "Black Shoe Diaries" with a supernatural twist. Although it's a BET production, it wasn't made to air on the network (the nekkid boobies are a hint), so we're not subjected to cheesy cameos by anyone named Jeezy, Scrappy, or Pookie trying to promote their upcoming album. Instead, we have a competent yet tame and perfunctory ghost story

Urban Menace (1999)

Somebody Help Me (2007)
    I guess You Got Stabbed would've been too obvious. You Got Served writer/director Chris Stokes and stars Marques Houston and Omari(on) Grandberry reunite for Somebody Help Me, a nice-looking but scatter-brained thriller that thankfully never degrades into hip-hop dance-offs.
    The best direct-to-video movies are the ones that aspired to be theatrical releases and had the budget to achieve that goal, but for one reason or another never made it the the multiplex. Somebody Help Me has that feel

J.D Revenge , Congo , Blade, Abby , Nite tales, Bones and many others I found but today as we can see
    most of our Black Actors and actress just don't do these kind of movies because one they have us killed off
    at the start of it as I look into the 2000's and back into the days of the 60's / 70's / 80's and 90's mostly we
    didn't fair well in these movies for the tale and script don't suit us well we do take roles and parts in them but
    to see a full all Black scary movie just don't hit well at box offices.

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    • Blacula (1972)

Couldn't help but laugh

• Scream, Blacula, Scream (1973)

No screaming... still laughs

• Sugar Hill (AKA The Zombies of Sugar Hill) (1974)

Getting a little better... still stuck on the Vodun spookism meets Black Revenge

• Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984)
    [​IMG]

This one was more weird doll eroticism than horror

• Candyman (1992)
    Candyman was the first real scary movie that had a black central character

We even had challenges that would dare friends to go into a room, stand in the mirror and say Candyman 3 times (akin to Bloody Mary)
    [​IMG]

• Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)
    And with this I wasn't sure if I was suppose to laugh

[​IMG]

Or be turned on

[​IMG]

• Spirit Lost (1996)
    Spectrophilia and sexual ghost play

• Urban Menace (1999)
    Don't remember this one, will have to check it out

• Somebody Help Me (2007)
    Don't remember this either, have to check it out

• J.D Revenge , Congo , Blade, Abby , Nite tales, Bones
    - Blade was an action/sci-fi, not really horror

- Nite Tales

Reminded me of Tales From the Hood​

-And Bones with Snoop, was a decent effort

[​IMG]

But which of these stands out as the best "black horror" movie in the past 40 years?

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think Candyman and Bones was the best two that stood out mostly , when it come to horror
    it's just not in our nature, we more the action pack , drama and or with love
    we do suspenseful movies but Horror is one we just don't find a blast in.....

try going through this list here maybe there is a few that strike you as a good scary movie that
    is black horror...
    http://www.blackhorrormovies.com/blackhorrormovies.htm

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i've seen some black movies that were horrible........