Black People : Why Should 'I Love NYC'-?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, May 17, 2010.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Do check out the 40th Anniversary Issue of its NEW YORK zine...

(October 6, 2008 issue)...

And --are their yuppies/noveus just new jerks--not new turks-- posters?

So yet another case study or studies of why some who post here also kinda sorta have to contrast things, i. e., when it comes to what you choose to believe as opposed to what others admit is true...

:10500:

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    To answer the question of why anyone should love NYC of African descent, and who do not read eurocentric magazines;
    1. Marcus Garvey
    2. Countee Cullen
    3. Duke Ellington
    4. Arthur Schomburg
    5. Weeksville, Brooklyn
    6. Ancestral Burial Ground, City Hall
    7. Adam Clayton Powell Jr.
    8. Malcolm X
    9. Langston Hughes
    10. James Baldwin
    11. Dr Clarke
    12. Dr Ben
    13. Ra Un Nefer Amen
    14. Amos Wilson (PBUH)
    15. Queen Afua
    16. Dr. Leonard Jeffries
    17. Professor Smalls
    18. Khalid Muhammed (PBUH)
    19. Elombe Braith
    20. Abubadika Sonny Carson (PBUH)
    21. Dr Adelaide Sanford
    22. Spike Lee
    23. Rev Herbert Daughtry
    24. Rev Johnnie Youngblood
    25. Queen Mother Moore
    26. Betty Dobson
    27. Dr Cachee McKintyre
    28. Attorney at war ; Alton Maddox
    29. Gil Noble
    30. The counselates of all the African nations
    31. Imam Sawaj of Masjid Ataqwa
    32. City councilman Charles Barron
    33. Omawale Clay
    34. Sister Viola Plummer
    35. Professor Mackey (PBUH)
    36. Jitu Weusi
    37. Phil Valentine

38. Blacks or African Americans made up 25.2% of New York City's population

According to the 2000 Census, New York City has the largest population of self-defined black residents of any U.S. city, with over 2 million within the city's boundaries. New York City had more Black people than the entire state of California until the 2000 Census. Many of the city´s black residents live in Brooklyn and The Bronx. Several of the city's neighborhoods are historical birthplaces of urban black culture in America, among them the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bedford–Stuyvesant and Manhattan's Harlem and various sections of Eastern Queens and The Bronx. Bedford-Stuyvesant is considered to have the highest concentration of black residents in the United States. New York City has the largest population of black immigrants (at 686,814) and descendants of immigrants from the Caribbean (especially from Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Guyana, Belize, Grenada, and Haiti), and of sub-Saharan Africans. In a news item of April 3, 2006, however, the New York Times noted that for the first time since the American Civil War, the recorded African American population was declining, because of emigration to other regions, a declining African American birthrate in New York, and decreased immigration of blacks from the Caribbean and Africa.[48]

In 2005, the median income among black households in Queens was almost $52,000 a year, surpassing that of whites.

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Do black people or white people control/dominate/run/rule NYC?

I. e., limiting your sources of into to pro black publications, while dismissing those which are Jewish/Irish Catholic/White Protestant oriented, etc., isn't something I'd associate with having a balanced take, let alone anything a typical black activist etc. in my neck of the woods would make a mistake resorting to...

:fyi:

4. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I don’t think we need to fight over New York. People love N.Y.C and many don’t. Love it or not, many great black and brown people come from there, and many good things have manifested from it’s genius. I am glad I grew up there, I am who I am for surviving. But it’s not where I wish to raise my children.

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    First of all:

Of course my choice of subject matter was and is to get you and others to key in on what we're all up against, i. e., affluent and rich whites either reclaiming places/spaces/etc. earlier white generations abandoned, and/or those black enclaves now being bulldozed etc., whereas even earlier black ones got done in, via the catch words 'urban (black) removal' ad naseum...

In the case of the Big Apple:

I must admit being amazed (though not amuzed) by how that aformentioned publication white reporters/writers/etc. were and are being so candid (if not honest) about who and why!

Such like may well be the source of our despair and grief etc. everywhere these days...

Also some black elected officials do condone (don't condemn) such agendas...

So welcomed back to 2010!

:10500:

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Published on Black Agenda Report (http://www.blackagendareport.com)

Black Business Class Leadership and the Crisis of Gentrification

By Bruce A. Dixon

Why is the only model of inner city economic development that anybody has tried in living memory amount to moving poorer urban residents out, and wealthier ones in? What happens to the people who are moved out, and why does our black business class leadership quietly ignore, or openly collaborate in the dispersal of the very communities which made many of their careers possible?

Are poor people the chief and principal architects of their own poverty? This sounds like, and is, a foolish idea. But the baseless and backward notions that poverty is the result of the moral and character flaws of poor people, and that persistent concentrations of poor people cause even more poverty, something like the way mold causes more mold have furnished the public justifications of the nation's housing policy for a generation.

If you are foolish enough to believe poverty is caused by poor people then demonizing, dispersing and demolishing public housing, privatizing the land upon which projects once stood and gentrifying poor urban neighborhoods in the name of solving poverty makes perfect sense. It also makes tons of money for well connected developers, their contractors, attorneys and investors, and provides them all with good reasons to make generous contributions to the politicians that open these doors to them. Nobody in the real estate game makes a nickel off stable neighborhoods. Hypocritical justifications aside, for too much of our black business class leadership, gentrification has never been about about economic justice. Gentrification is just one more way to get paid.

Unlike their fathers and mothers, the current and corporate-trained generation of black leaders do not aspire to alleviate, let alone eliminate poverty. They are unable and often unwilling to defend the interests of poor urban constituencies, even the ones that elect them, because like their white establishment counterparts, they simply do not value those communities and their inhabitants. They collaborate in depicting their own communities as toxic sinkholes of despair, so that any excuse to demolish and disperse such places, whether its the Olympics in Atlanta (and almost in Chicago) or man-made floods in the wake of Katrina, can be counted as a public good.

But exactly where the former residents of housing projects end up, and whether dispersing their communities actually begins to lift them out of poverty are questions that our corporate-trained black leaders in the public and private sectors, and even most academic researchers refuse to ask. Research is emerging, the University of Florida's Dr. Susan Greenbaum told us last spring, which indicates that many former public housing residents are doing worse, poorer, more isolated from family and formal and informal support systems, less secure in food and housing, with less access to health care, affordable transportation, education and job opportunities than they had in public housing. Their new neighbors, believing that former public housing residents were bringing the alleged character flaws and bad habits of poverty into their new surroundings, rejected and stigmatized them. Many former public housing residents, she told us, were thrown into the same neighborhoods that became ground zero for the foreclosure crisis. Absent some swift and profound changes they are likely to be uprooted again, as those foreclosures turn to evictions.

We have reached a point where the only model of development for inner cities is demolition and gentrification. Something is profoundly wrong with that, and with the black business class leadership which is not even looking for an alternative.

Bruce Dixon is managing editor at Black Agenda Report, and based in Atlanta.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

- If you're not from NYC I wouldn't expect you to love it, nor understand it!

lol - What did new york do to you on your last visit brother? You should have hollered @ me i could have got you a pass...lol

It's really JEW YORK and there is no such thing as balance in the rotten apple, which oddly enough is why so many love it and are attracted to it!

Do you have balance in your neck of the woods Chuck?

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    New York... scary... eXcItInG, FUN!

They have black people there, that's GREAT!

They have black people there, that's bad.

All I know is everything I've seen on the movies. And it ain't no 'Learning Tree.

On a smaller note.... what did they do with that black burial ground they accidently dug up and found about 10 years ago? Is it an historic landmark?

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Exciting, Darn Skippy!

Harlem, Bed Stuy, safe at night, cause everything is open 24/7!
    Best clubs, best jazz, best Black cultural events and lectures

as far as regentrification, sure all the industrial areas and back lots and what not, abandoned lofts in boondocky, and waterfront areas, that never were safe, yeah those are condoing, and areas adjacent to Columbia university are going through regentrification, and defacto eminent domain,
    in fact there is no neighborhood in Brooklyn where you do not now see whites, but they have replaced no one, you see in NYC there is this little thing called rent control, and strong Black politicians like former Black Panther Charles Barron, who just ain't havein it, straight up!

African Burial Ground National Monument

[​IMG]
    http://www.africanburialground.gov/ABG_Main.htm

I was there during the 90s demonstrations with Abubadika Sonny Carson(PBUH) and Elombe Braith, in fact if anyone here knows Sonny or Elombe' then they know exactly who I am!

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Chuck:

I was and I am writing and talking about balance in terms of a candid and honest as well as fair and objective reexamination of all facts by the way of all credible sources etc.

The undeniable reality is that only a relative handful of different individuals of different ethnic/racial/etc. groups even kick it about the ups and downs of wherever they share the places and spaces with:

L. A. reflects openly competing ethnic groups, two more or less at the bottom clashing and fueding with each other:

The NYC experience, at least from a distance, kinda sorta reflects an unacknowleged though peaceful co-existence pact...

Yes, Detroit's ethnic/racial/etc. groups once had their own safe and secure enclaves, but all got undermined by other folks various urban 'renewal' dreams/schemes/ad naseum, whereas what and who remains is on the survival side-- and/or others had long since bailed/opted out for suburban life...

Where did 'white flight' to the suburbs lead to:

Some of the poorest whites I've ever come across either live isolated in small towns and/or the poorer parts of sububuran cities...

"So you can't run away from yourself..."

The white powers that be having hyped this as 'a nation of immigrants' was (once) a great sales pitch--as long as they were more or less accepted white folk too:

Again flash forward and most of the newcomers are other people of color...

Such is also a reflection of the rise of transnational corporations, i. e., how the really desirable newcomers are a lot like their to be U. S. counterparts, as in already acculturated/english speaking/college educated/socially aspiring/etc., though of different ethnic/racial/backgrounds/etc., than those normally associated with suchlike, on this side of the oceans, etc.

On the other hand:

Retrenchment back to a 'whites only' cultural and social norm and/or attempt to undermine the rise of a competing Mexican/American political clique is a case study of what's really going on/down, as regards how the white locals etc. are reacting and overreacting to the effforts of globalism, which is contrary to what I've ever from one source was and is a homegrown version of the same aformentioned process, ongoing in that state--Arizona--as well...

So no instant analysis nor quick fix solutions serve us well...

Though what may well be difficult is not necessarily impossible...

I. e., complex issues/problems/etc. just call for a better use of our brain cells, not let our hearts lead us down dead end paths...