Black People Politics : Why Reconstruction Ended

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
Sep 27, 2005
1574213501063.png

President Rutherford B. Hayes pulled the rug right from under US by removing the federal troops that were protecting Negroes in 1877.

DeWayne Wickham, Journalist
C-Span picks FDR, but LBJ was better
Best and worst of the presidents

"...Rutherford Hayes is at the bottom of my list. He's the Republican president who put his quest for high office over his party's' support of the multi-racial governments' that merged in the South after the Civil War.

As the outset impact of the 1876 presidential campaign, Mr. Hayes was championed by Republicans who wanted the federal government to protect the rights of African Americans in the former Confederate states. 'Not every Democrat was a rebel, but every rebel was a Democrat.' was the slogan they used to berate Mr. Hayes' opponent during the campaign.
But when Congress was forced to decide the outcome of the close election after neither candidate won enough electoral votes, Mr. Hayes cut a deal with Southern Democrats. In return for helping him win the contested electoral votes in South Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida, he agreed to withdraw federal troops from the South.

The deal sealed his victory and ended Reconstruction - the program of federal protection that had given African Americans significant influence in that region of the country. Mr. Hayes' treachery unleased a reign of terror that lasted nearly a century and doomed African Americans to a state of neo-slavery..."

Source(s):

The Ku Klux Spirit
by JA Rogers

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.