Black Spirituality Religion : Why People Continue To Believe Christianity

cursed heart said:
You know as a child we read the bible but we didn't fully read and understand it.Being that we weren't given anything else to acknowledge us this was the only thing we knew.
Now knowing the truth, I feel enlightened but at the same I feel like I have turned my back on GOD.
I know that I haven't but it just feels that way.
Especially when you have people around you totally rejecting what you have acknowledged.
Yes, that is hard. Your mind is telling you one thing and your feelings are telling you something else and everybody that you love is in agreement with your feelings.

You are right, we have been given no other concept f God outside the bible. When we acknowledge the truth about this god we are left with no concept. Maybe this is good. Maybe God wants us to throw away all concept, all crutches and just "be still and know he is God."

I never said the whole bible is worthless. Only now I measure what I read by the truth that is in me rather than twisting truth to fit into what I read.

cursed heart said:
I agree,
However I'd rather leave this earth with truth.
To be honest why can't we just believe in GOD and that's it!
What's with the many many religions seperating,ignoring historical facts,science,and evolution!
Why ignore the fact that what you were taught be true , just might not be true!
Yesterday everyone came to my house to barbecue and my grandfather again as usual da**** everybody to hell because we all dont believe what he believes.
He said all religions except christianianity will be casted out the book and sent to hell.
Him and my grandmother will be the only ones going to heaven while we burn in the lake of fire.
I'm curious where is this heaven? the lake of fire? where is this book with everyones name in it?
Oh man than he read us the book of revelations and caught the holy ghost on my couch.
I ask what is all of this for?

Sister CursedHeart ... we all have the ability, to some degree, to leave this earth with whatever understanding we choose. Likewise, you are free to believe in God and that's it, as are we all. Again, it's a personal choice, with each of us being given that choice by God to do it as we see fit. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they are ignoring fact.

In regard to your GrandFather, is your religion greater than your respect for him? To me, religion / spirituality is nothing, if it has me presenting my very own GrandFather in a negative, krazee light, as though he is some lunatic for Christianity ... yet without him, there would be no you. What does this say about your truth, and your respect for those things before you? To me, honoring my Elders is my religion, giving them their due respect, to do and be however they see fit ... to lift them high and honor them ... for God has surely done the same, by blessing their life to even become an Elder. To me, this is God. To me, this is truth.

:heart:

Destee

river said:
No it's not about which book you read. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I am asking questions trying to get people to think. I'm not depriving anyone of the right to make a choice. But I ask how can your choice be personal--I mean truly your own choice--if you have no knowledge about the thing you are choosing? We are where we are today--in poverty, killing each other, on drugs, self hatred--because of the influence of those who urge us to make choices based on our feelings rather than our knowledge. I can't imagine that our ancestors who now know the truth more intimately than I or any of us on Earth does would feel disrespected at me for bringing light to what has proven itself to be a lie.

If it weren't for slavery most of us would probably be caught up in the genocide that's ravaging Africa right now and our children would never be born. Shall I then out of respect for my ancestors who went through slavery not speak out against it ? Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us--so many songs that have helped us to follow God were born because of this dark past. Could the things that made our past dark have bneen that bad?

The christianity practiced today is nothing like the christianity practiced in it's original form. Our ancestors in Ethiopia knew nothing of the Paulianity that developed in Rome. The christianity we practice today was given to us by our slavemasters and there is nothing a slavemaster will give you that is designed to set you free. They don't even worship the same Jesus they gave us.

I understand that some people get tired of hearing the truth. Nobody likes to be told there is a hole in the back of their pants after they've been walking around all day not knowing it. But so many of our would be warriors are sitting by the wayside because they've been led to believe that it will all be better in the sweet by and by. Empowerment is more than a good feeling. Am I a disrespectful hypocrit because I want people to know that?

Sister River ... i never said you were pointing fingers at anyone, or that you were a hypocrite. I spoke only of myself, and how i would consider myself, based on my doing or not doing these things.

For you to suggest that folk are making choices with no knowledge, is a bit arrogant, as you can't fully assess another's knowledge based on posts on a discussion forum ... and truly ... it would be quite easy for someone to say the same about you, with no more information about the knowledge you possess, as you have about others.

We are here today, suffering all that you mentioned, not just because of choices made based on feeling, but due to a combination of all the weapons of mass destruction put upon our people, and our continual perpetuation of them.

No one faults you for sharing what you believe is truth ... in my opinion, the fault lies in the presentation of that truth ... there is a proper and balanced way to do all things ... and if you must tear down another Brother or Sister ... make them feel bad for being a victim of the weapons of mass destruction that all of us have suffered ... then this might be a clue that there is a better way, and we should seek it. This thread speaks directly to Christians (Sisters and Brothers), not to Christianity.

Sister River ... if our Ancestors had not been enslaved, we would be caught up in genocide in Africa ... ?? ... Sister ... how can you make such a claim? Who amongst us is qualified to say what would have been, if ... ??

I understand your analogy, but would like to offer you this one in its stead ... rather than a hole in the back of our pants, we have a gaping wound in our torso, blood pouring out, and you come along and vigorously pound your truth into the hole, to plug it up ... causing the pain to double for the injured ... never asking how they feel, never acknowledging their fear and pain ... but simply wanting to get your truth in them. That's how i liken this situation. Yes, i acknowledge that many of our people are sitting by the wayside, not sure which way to go ... but the best and proper way, in my opinion, to get them off the sidelines, is to love them through whatever and wherever they are ... allowing them to make the same informed choices, travel their journey, as we all must do. Not out of guilt and shame heaped upon them, but because the truth was presented in the best of manners, with living examples of how to interact and love those most in need, most injured ... and they be moved in their Spirit, and follow.

To me, that is God.

Destee

kemetkind said:
Sister River you (and others) imply you are preaching the "truth", but rarely do you address the notion that "truth" in matters of spiritual relationships is a personal, not universal matter.

If this is so, and you know the "truth", and know it so well that none should get tired of hearing it from you, why don't you spend more time elevating your "truth?"

What is the "truth" with respect to spirituality that everyone should believe

Can you break "the truth" down for me?

I mean other than calling christians frauds what "truth" are you representing?

What is the name of the God that works for you but isn't powerful enough to work through those fraudulent Christians?

How is this God supposed to be worshipped?

Please answer me this because I'm not being sarcastic I'm sincerely interested to know...what, specifically, (now as opposed to a few years ago when you were Christian), makes YOUR spirituality, YOUR personal relationship with God, your OWN version of "truth" better than any others.

If I'm a bible-thumper and I convert to ATR and quickly commence to metu-neter thumping what has really changed?

Am I still not claiming to perpetually be in possession of the "Truth?"

Did the "truth" change, outside of my contextual understanding of it?

What about when I find some contradictions in the logic, or run across some foul practitioners of my ATR, or run across some new philosophy that seems to make more sense, and decide to switch to something else...If I start again thumping my latest "knowledge" as the "truth"...and start denouncing any who "continue to believe" in ATR as fools...did the "truth" change again?

kemetkind said:
did the "truth" change again?

Oh My Gosh Brother Kemetkind ... this is a very very very very deeeeeep post! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

In my opinion, it should have ended the discussion, for you have certainly added the period!

Like our Ancestors before, believed what they believed, and we believe what we believe, it would not surprise me one bit, if our children, and their children, are blessed with even more information, more knowledge, that blows a complete hole in all that we're talking about today ... a greater truth!

It's amazing to me, the fact that we have virtually just been allowed to read and write in this country. For all the years before that, white folk have had the opportunity to alter, hide, and delete whatever information they so desired. Once they let us start reading and writing, made knowledge available to us ... we have simply lost our minds in it ... wallowing in that which those before us (our enslaved Ancestors) did not have ... and now we have set ourselves above them ... for surely we know more than they ever did (right?) ... when it could be that the very information they allow us to have ... they who have stolen all, and then presented it back to us in the manner they chose ... that they gave us this too, to keep us moving in circles ... to keep us from uniting.

Does truth change ... i don't believe so.

Destee

SAMURAI36 said:
Just because our ancestors were Christians (they were forced to be so), doesn't mean that we much honor Christianity while honoring them.

Our people were also enslaved and subjugated as well, but that does not mean that we should honor such an institution.

Wrong is wrong.

As my Sister Sheqheti has stated, we cannot, in good conscience, speak about all those things that serve by both function and intent, to hinder our progress as a people, and not add the religion of Christianity to that list of things that needs to be addressed.

PEACE

I never said that you must honor Christianity. For that matter, i never said you must honor anything.

This thread speaks directly to Christians, not Christianity.

Likewise, if a thread was started speaking directly to our enslaved Ancestors, rather than the institution that enslaved them ... i would be saying the same thing as i am now ... probably even more.

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back