Black Spirituality Religion : Why People Continue To Believe Christianity

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Aug 24, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Several times in the Bible the Apostle Paul comes right out and admits that he lied to the people. Several times he calles his story his own. He told Timothy "Jesus Christ was raised from the dead according to MY gospel." Yet people continue to believe this admittedly false story. Why? There are no Roman Catholics killing those who don't believe. There is no Spanish Inquisitor or crusader holding a blade to our throats. So what is it that keeps people believing what they know is not true?

The church has fastidiously placed filters in the mind of believers. Whenever the truth about the bible and christianity comes to light the christian has all these other things to think about: What will my friends think of me if they know I am asking these questions? What will become of my ministry (privilage, prestige, position) in the church? Am I strong enough to throw away my crutches and think for myself? Who am I to be so bold?

Many questions. It is easier to just emerse oneself in church activities, go out and buy something or recite the carefully selected memory verses to banish doubt than to explore the possibility that what the man has been telling you might be wrong. After all, you love the man. You respect him. You look up to him from the pew every Sunday morning. How great a disruption would it be in your life to take too close a look at what this man is saying. But others have faced the truth about christianity and their life goes on.

We cannot grow in our comfort zone. True growth requires struggle. That's why they arre called growing pains. The baby that refuses to fight his way into the world will die in the womb and kill his mother along with him.

The truth about the bible and christianity is glaringly evident. But as long as we value anything in this world, whether it be money, opinions, pride in the strength of our faith, posessions or whatever, the price of truth will always be more than we are willing to pay.

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    For some odd reason, reading this line made me think about the "african american" and Africa!

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Tell us about it brotha anAfrican

4. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Because nobody has showed me any of the so called contradictions or lies yet!

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    How about the "fact" that the "First Coming of Jesus" was foretold as a method of attempting to get "the people" to come back to God?

How about the fact that "christianity" is about "reverance" to a human being instead of to God?

How about the fact that that celebration of the violation of "thou shalt not kill" features symbolic ritual cannibalism?

How about the question of "why would God need armies?".

How about all the killing, wars, inquisitions "in the name of God"?

Oops, sorry; it's kinda "tacky" of me to seek to present logic, and reading comprehension, to folks that want to toss out the entirety of the original works, eh?

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Dear Slowly,

You have already admitted to knowing that the Bible contradicts itself in it’s depiction of the death of Judas. And I have asked you how a book which errs in such a simple earthly matter can be trusted to accurately reveal the secrets of God. Yet here you say no one has shown you any errors. How many errors is your god allowed to make? God does not make errors and any book that claims to be from God must reflect that fact.

We talked about this in another thread and I showed you contradictions. The seventy elders who went up the mountain and saw God whom Paul says no one has seen.

Now here is the Apostle Paul coming right out and admitting to having lied and deceived people. If you can walk away from this still convinced that christianity is true then it’s not the lie no one can show you but the lie you refuse to see that is keeping you in this religion that has shackled the bodies and minds of our people for two thousand years.

2 Corinthians 12:16
    16 But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.
    2 Timothy 2:8
    Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

According to Paul’s gospel. According to the word of an admitted liar Jesus was raised from the dead. The Bible tells us that in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established yet not one person gives witness to Paul as an apostle.

Think,. Why are you so afraid to use the brain that you know is from God and want to defend this book that somebody told you was from God. And that somebody raped killed and enslaved your ancestors. There is nothing a slave master will give you that is designed to set you free. And I am not just talking about the white American slave masters I am talking about Moses who told the Jews that it is okay with their God to enslave the Canaanites.

7. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sister River, It appears here that Paul was asking the question: Did I lie to you? And I think Paul was about 40 years behind Christ, right? So he wasn't there. And you really have to be careful regarding Paul. A lot of those writings aren't his, he just translated the stuff and delivered or had it delivered.. In many places in the writings attributed to Paul, he states these are inspired instructions, and in many places he just stuck his two cents in. And this is what I think about, Who really knows anything about anything. What if, all writings were destroyed, but 50,000 years from now they dig up pieces of "Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars" books. What will they think?

8. Nat Turner

Nat Turner Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just another excuse to continue to believe in the lie.

9. Nat Turner

Nat Turner Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    We need more threads like this
    Hotep!

:welldone:

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Slowly please stip kidding yourself. You know Paul was making a statement not asking a question. Why does reading the bible have such an adverse effecct on people's reading comprehension skills?