Black Spirituality Religion : Why Our People Won't Embrace Their Own Heritage

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Mar 24, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I was not too long ago made aware of a powerful roadblock to our people accepting the truth about our African spiritual heritage and choosing instead to cling to the faulty religions of their slavemasters.

I can show a christian all the contradictions in the bible. I can delineate the abuses of preachers and churches. I can expound the beauties of African spirituality and point out the embarrassing extent to which christianity has borrowed from kemet. The answer invariably is "Yeah but I still got to go to church. I know all you say is true but it's still important to fellowship."

What can I say? I'm offering truth but in their eyes it is mere information without a social context. What can I do? I don't have a place with a group of people I can take them to so they can see African spirituality in action. What will it take to abandon one's whole social matrix to embrace something out of a book?

Truth is for the brokenhearted. True spirituality is for those who find no comfort in the material of the world's lies. You have to have eyes to suffer. Your eyes have to be wide open to feel pain. Their eyes are wide shut and sleep's the only freedom they know.

But we can't change African spirituality to make it appeal to the comfortable sleeping masses. In so doing we twist it around so that it becomes just another manifestation of the matrix. If we could let the truth stand aloof and instead prepare our minds we will eventually rise to that truth.

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    After watching Sankofa this question came to mind.
    Also why are there Africans that are catholic if they know the origin of this religion.They must have known!
    We have African nuns and priest where I work.
    Why?

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think one of the most important reasons is, it's not popular. IMO, there are much better religious practices and faiths than Christainity (since it's the most popular religion amongst black people), but Christianity allows our people to worship soley by using our emotions (which we know we love to do) instead of our brains. Christianity also scares people into worship by telling them if they don't, they will go to hell. So on one hand they might see all the contradictions in the bible, but they still fear that if they are wrong, they are worshiping a false god, then they'll burn eternally in hell. Also, Christianity teaches that anything other than worshiping the bible and Jesus Christ, is satanic. Plus, all the Christains in their family, friends and fellow church goers will talk about how they lost their "faith". You know black people don't like being the odd one in the group. I also think that the fact that we're not brought up in African spirituality plays an important role. Most black people don't identify with Africa at all, so why would they worship based on African spirituality? Even if someone turns them on to it, it's still foreign if you compare the amount of time they've been brainwashed by Christianity. It's not in our nature to do so, since we were born, raised and brainwashed by this society.

4. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Just remember one thing when you notice all the zombies of Jesus and GODless religions, GOD determined it all. I know we would like to see all of our brothers and sister do the right thing and be saved and become righteous in the Eyes of GOD. But as GOD has determined all of this started with rebels and it is the rebels that HE is purging through Jesus, Gabriel, Mohamed, Apostles and any other Host of Heaven HE has created to do a Works.

Isa 8:
    14: And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
    15: And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.

When the Host comes to take them, they will actually believe they are going to a good place, only because they have allowed themselves to be blinded to GOD.

5. Khonsu

Khonsu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Good Afternoon Miss River

Miss River
    Can you explain the diffrent between the African spiritual heritage culture, And the spiritual heritage / cultures Of the diffrent religion such as , Christian / Judaism / Islam Etc etc . The reason I ask this question because Every organization that deal in some type of belief system say they have the truth . And all other are false . Just wondering your take on this . Thank you for your help .

6. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +244
    For centuries europeans set up missionary schools throughout Afrika where Afrikan children have been taught in effect that they had no civilization or history to speak of before the coming of the white man, that their ancestors were savage barbarians not worthy of respect, and that their indigenous spiritual, social and cultural institutions & traditions are backward and inferior to those of the white european, i.e., christianity, catholicism. From this miseducation they have come to believe that the only way they can become better people is by aping the cultural and religious traditions of the white man (or the arab) and rejecting their own.

The process of the psychological & cultural de-Afrikanization of continental Afrikans is discussed at length in "Decolonising The African Mind" by Nigerian author Chinweizu. See also "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" by Walter Rodney where he discusses missionary "education" forced upon Afrikan children.

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey brotha Khonsu! So good to see you here.

I feel you on that question. Everybody has their neon sign out. Here are a few differences that I have noticed.

1. African spiritual systems are a part of my heritage. They are not the dogmas of my slavemasters. Doesn't the very idea of a christian slavemaster strike you as a bit of an oxymoron? All three religions, christianity, Islam and judaism, make up the Abrahamic Brotherhood of Conquerors. Why should I think that it would not make a difference to reclaim what is mine?

2 African spirituality is not dogmatic. It focuses on the spiritual development of the initiate. Unlike western religions which focus on coercing people to believe in the historicity of events when there is not a shred of evidence that the people in these events ever existed. In the Metu Neter the reader is not required to believe in the historicity of Tehuti on pain of hellfire but rather to understand how Tehuti corresponds to our human faculties and spiritual development.

3. There is no eternal hellfire awaiting the unbeliever in African spirituality. God neither punishes nor rewards nor protects but our actions bring their own inherant consequences which can indeed range from a blissful heaven to an infernal hell.

4. As brotha Sam so eloquently says elsewhere, African spiritual systems are specifically designed for African peoples. If you read the Metu Neter Amen explains in detail the differences between a religious system designed for and by westerners and a spiritual system designed for and by Africans.

8. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    To play devil's advocate, since most of us were born in America (I am assuming anyway), aren't we westerners? I personally have never been to Africa, and not that I do not identify with my heritage, but I find it difficult to presume I am not from the west since this is where I live. This is the modern day circumstance we find ourselves in. It's also difficult to gaugue because so many Africans do not practice traditional religions (I have no idea what the numbers are), but the ones that I have met (and that is not many) were either muslim or christian. Some Africans even laugh at "African-American" rituals such as Kwanzaa, saying it has no root in their heritage.

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree. I too find it hard to identify with African heritage because it's nowhere to be seen. I don't know anyone that knows about it or practices it. I think the majority of us feel this way. On top of that, the majority of us have no desire to try and incorporate African Heritage and spirituality into our lives because it has nothing to do with our reality in this country. Some say that it's our salvation, but that has yet to be proven, and that's why so many find it hard to embrace.

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    From whence doest the notion that living somewhere makes your mindset reflective of that environment derive?

In my mind's eye, this "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" mindset is western, in and of itself.

I have lived in a gang-infested neighborhood....Does that make me a gang member?

We are not our environments, though sadly we remain ever so controlled by them. Black people in this society have long since been plagued with a having a very provential mentality.

Most of us can only speak English (and we do even that rather poorly), while the rest of the world is bi-lingual at the very least, or multi-lingual at most. Most people in this world, have traveled to other places, while we as Black people barely want to take a trip to the Bahamas (another largely Black society) for vacation......And even when we do, we do so as "tourists" rather than as explorers or potential citizens.

We don't know anything about the world around us, yet we cling to being "American" or Western like the "Children under the stairs": we don't really live in that house, but we can't say that we live anywhere else either.

This is not that difficult a problem to solve, as we might think.

While I hear the juxtaposition or conundrum that you and Brother KENTE present, I am also aware of the old Islamic addage: "if the mountain does not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain".

The only reason I know about these things, is because I took whatever opportunitie that presented themselves to go and learn about them.

This planet is only 24,862 miles in circumferences. Africa, depending on where in the West you are located, is only 9,000 miles away from you, at the least. It's not on Mars. I know of numerous Africans who are willing to take people with them when they go home, for the sake of experiencing their home with them.

We as Black people tend to think that this is it for us; either that, or we are sitting around waiting on the "Swing Lo, Sweet Chariot" to come transport us off to some form of "Heaven" or another. We have got to get out of that "Promised Land" mentality.

PEACE