Black People : Why isn't Nat Turner held in the same regard as Martin Luther King?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by bigtown, Sep 23, 2005.

1. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I ask that because what Nat Turner did was every bit as significant. Before the revolt led by Turner, There was a debate amongst white scholars that slavery should not end because black people were happy and content with it. That they were fed and cared for so if slavery ended they would be lost and miserable. The revolt changed many of their opinions about owning people. It proved that black people were not indeed happy, that they would do anything to escape it. Including killing the plantation owner and his whole family. It made many of them so afraid to own people, that they even freed theirs. So why is Nat Turners' name so deeply buried in not only white peoples' history, but ours as well?

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well Nat Turner and his revolt failed. So maybe some people argue that since he failed and Martin Succeded (Via his death) that they are not in the same light.

However, Denmark Vessey Had a better slave revolt idea than Nat Turner and in my opinion he is of higher regard, than Nat. You ought to check him out sometime.

3. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I believe that King screwed up our mentality when it comes to white people also, but that's a different subject. I'll check out Vessey, thanks

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Considering King's alleged Boule' history, I think MLK is more popular, because white people have made him that way.

It is only recently (within the past 2 decades or so) that we even started learning about TURNER, VESSEY and other similar figures, which once again points back to the media and educational system.

White people allow us to learn about those individuals whose message are closely alligned to their own.

Why would white people want us to learn about, and appreciate someone who killed several white people in his quest for freedom?

As an oppressor, which do you think would behoove them to push upon their oppressed: A revolutionist or a non-violent?

PEACE

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Strange that mention should be made here of REVOLUTIONARIES. For those who believe in Jesus, there could have been no greater revolutionary. From a Biblical perspective he was REVOLTING AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT (ROMAN EMPIRE) AND THE CHURCH.

This joker ran around with 12 other brothers, were doing raiding parties in the temples, over turning the miney changers tables (obviously something ONE MAN BY HIMSELF would never accomplish because they would have bum rushed him in a minute. Meaning that if one believes these events as written in the Bible, then he had to have had a well armed assault team)

Even when he knew they were coming for him, what does he tell his homies to do? He told them "to sell everything they had and BUY SWORDS. That does not sound like some sucker ready to walk into a crucifiction to me. Then to top it off, when they came for him, one of his homies cuts off the ear of one of the soldiers. Do you know what kind of swordmanship skill that takes to just cut an ear off?

However, the story starts changing from that point, but the point is that we need to re-think the word "REVOLUTIONARY" AND THE PEOPLE WE LABEL WITH IT. In fact, if you really do some serious research, you'll find that Jesus as we have come to call him has a different history in Africa among those who haven't been brainwashed.

In one of the books they took out of the Bible, Jesus got his FIRST BODY AT THE AGE OF 12. (AND YOU KNOW WHAT GETTING A BODY IS, SO DON'T PLAY DUMB) No wonder they took that book out of the Bible. Suppose we grew up really wanting to be like Jesus ! Real or Unreal.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

That's exactly why. Why people don't want us getting any ideas from Nat Turner. They want us to worship someone who teaches non-violence, instead of someone that will kill you for his freedom. Why do you think they push Jesus on everyone? Because Jesus accepted his death and never raised a finger to anyone. That's what they want us to do. Same reason they push 50 Cent and not Common. The'd rather us be a buff bafoon, than a healthy, conscious, proud black man. Same reason they support Jesse Jackson and never Kalid Muhammad. Because Kalid openly expressed his dislike for white people, and Jesse locks arms with them (at least he does, when he's not on his knees). They want the safe choice.....for themselves.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    If you think Nat Turner is buried in our history...try to find some information about the Haitian Revolution!

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    What scares them the most is they can see in our inner cities the spirit of Nat Turner is very much alive, but they sigh with shaky relef because that spirit is implosive, destroying its own self. Hell no they don't want us to see examples of that spirit turned towards them.

Brotha Pan

When you look at Haiti and south Africa, it's kinda strange that successful revolutions are followed by AIDS epidemics.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    That is true in the case of South Africa, and I have pointed out how strange the sudden AIDS epidemic in that country is on other occasions: No one questions that the nation became AIDS infested post-Apartheid, when AIDS wasn't an issue during Apartheid. However, Haiti is different. They had their successful revolution in 1796. Now they also were frozen out by the rest of the world, and unfortunately did not have the resources to sustain themselves...that is another story.

10. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38

Brother Big, I agree with you. But I want to amend your point.

I believe MLK never got a chance to expounded upon his message before he died.

I believe (or I hope) that Brother Martin believed in Equality for all, but also a unification of our economic and political resources for ourselves.