Black Entertainment : Why Is This Something To Be Proud Of - Jennifer Jackson, First Black Playmate ?

I was stunned to see the person that posted the picture felt it was something noteworthy enough to be listed first instead of the modeling she had done for Black magazines. I was also sad for the same reason. The mindset (IMO) is wrong. Why is it seen as an achievement she was the first Black playmate? Its not like she was the first Black woman that looked nice enough to be one. There were millions just walking around all over america long before that. Note that this is a wealthy white guy that got rich by exploiting womens bodies. When he graciously decided to exploit a Black womans body why was that seen as an advancement of some kind? How is it significantly different from a white slave master raping a Black woman and claiming she was nice looking enough for him to be attracted to? IMO it seems as if we are seeking the approval of white people by striving to be recognized as the first Black.....whatever.
:11100:um, this happened in 1965....let it go

:11100:um, this happened in 1965....let it go
I saw the post yesterday. I understand the mentality of why back then in 1965 but I dont understand it today. This mindset IMO is a hindrance to Black people freeing themselves mentally. I'm guessing the poster didnt even think about the significance of shining a spotlight on that particular action by Ms Jackson.

The poster of the pinterest item (don't often peruse pinterest, but since this is a topic of interest) has other items that can be seen in this "black history" collection:

https://www.pinterest.com/vman25/black-history

BLACK BEAUTIES TO KNOW AND LOVE: ACTRESS MARPESSA DAWN
http://madamenoire.com/405362/black-beauties-know-love-marpessa-dawn/

Other pinterest posts that I found relative to the topic:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/493144227926548375
zXMtETP.png

Also, seems the caption to the posting of Jennifer Jackson was written in chronological sequence, probably based on the article used to summarize the caption.

1. Did hair ads and modeling
  2. Runner-up for Ms. Chicago Land
  3. Was named playboy playmate and featured in 1965 magazine
  4. First black model to do Lady Clairol
  5. First black model to do KOOL cigarettes.
  6. Poster girl for the Ebony Fashion show
They probably could have mentioned that she was a runner up for a beauty pageant and that she was in hair ads. This might not have been interesting as far as "history" though.

How would you describe the attention that you received from guys once you began working at the club?

The thing about that is, I never thought I was that pretty. Chicago had a lot of beautiful women, and for me to say that I was pretty? I was just there. There were so many other girls who were so much prettier than me. It’s just that a white man’s beauty is different from a black man’s beauty. I was tall and leggy — white men like that. Black men, on the other hand, liked the girls who were short and had what they called a “brick house body.” I didn’t get any attention from the brothers. They liked the little women who were short and shapely. So there was a different standard of beauty.​

So while everyone was celebrating you for breaking down the barrier as the first African American to pose for the magazine, you were actually ashamed?

I never looked at it like that. I guess I was the first​

Are you still ashamed about your past?

No, I’m not now. But you’ll be surprised. It depends on who you talk to. Most people really think it’s a big deal and say, “Jennifer, you should write a book.” Write a book about what?​

Looks like she has a better handle on being the first Black playmate better than the people thinking it was some big achievement. I'm glad she got over being ashamed.

Our race always had it's selfless pioneers in fields that for the longest we were completely shut out of, they drew no quarter but cast their stead ahead at heavy cost of paid self deprecation in our eyes. The new breed of talented black men & women of varied talent today owe their very careers to the likes of "Andrew Perry" in Stepin Fetchit who actually was the first black entertainer to make a million dollars during his career, the real black cast of Amos & Andy "Tim Moore", "Spencer Williams", "Alvin Childress", "Nick Stewart" & others, "Eddy Rochester Anderson" who was Jack Benny's manservant, "Ethel Waters" in Beulah, the list is long but distinguished, accept them or not these people paid an extremely heavy price to pave a very rugged road for us to prosper.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back