Black Entertainment : Why Is This Something To Be Proud Of - Jennifer Jackson, First Black Playmate ?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Senegal, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Senegal

Senegal Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +189
    I was on Pinterest and saw this. For a moment I was stunned then sad. I read a little more about her and it appears she never posed nude which is a good thing. I dont get why being a playmate for Playboy is something significant. Is it slave mentality or something to be legitimately proud of?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539165386621319645/

[​IMG]

"Chicago native Jennifer Jackson became the first black Playboy Playmate in 1965 when she was 19 years old. The 5-foot-8 bunny was also the first black model to be featured in an ad for Lady Clairol, the first black woman to model for Avon cosmetics and Kool cigarettes. Both of the ads were published in Ebony magazine. In that same year, Jackson became the face of the Ebony Fashion Fair."

2. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Playboy Playmate in 1965...

Who is celebrating this, is this news or something?
    Not sure what the question is.

Other than her being the first "person of color" to be recognized in a majority "white" men's magazine at the time, just seems no different than the Miss America (Vanessa Williams), Miss USA, Miss whatever pageants that exploited women, black, white, yellow or brown.

Jennifer Jackson, First Black Playmate, On Life After Baring It All & ‘The Playboy Club’ (EXCLUSIVE)
    September 26, 2011

But it was a shock to my sisters because I didn’t tell anyone until after I took the picture. And I didn’t feel proud of it; I was kind of ashamed of it for a long time, until I went to the playmate reunion back in 1999.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/25/exclusive-interview-playmate-jennifer-jackson_n_980502.html

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :11100:nothing to see here..keep it moving

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Why are you all so hard on Senegal? "Stunned and sad," is how he said he felt about the information.

Brother Senegal, this just proves that Black people aren't all alike, now to quote Bro. James . . .

:11100:nothing to see here..keep it moving LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Senegal ... :hello: and Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave: :wave: :wave:

Playboy is probably the top of the game, for those who play that game.

I'd imagine any woman living half-nekked to please others wants a Playboy trophy.

It doesn't seem much different than one striving to the top of most any field.

Different paths require different things and i guess we all choose what we can stand.

But the root is the same, to be the best (however each defines that) ... i think ... :)

If she is proud of herself, I will be proud with her, since it's obviously what she wanted to do.

Why were you stunned then sad? What part stunned you and what part made you sad?

Thanks for sharing!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    First Jet Magazine Beauty of the Week:

From 1952
    [​IMG]

7. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +189
    I was stunned to see the person that posted the picture felt it was something noteworthy enough to be listed first instead of the modeling she had done for Black magazines. I was also sad for the same reason. The mindset (IMO) is wrong. Why is it seen as an achievement she was the first Black playmate? Its not like she was the first Black woman that looked nice enough to be one. There were millions just walking around all over america long before that. Note that this is a wealthy white guy that got rich by exploiting womens bodies. When he graciously decided to exploit a Black womans body why was that seen as an advancement of some kind? How is it significantly different from a white slave master raping a Black woman and claiming she was nice looking enough for him to be attracted to? IMO it seems as if we are seeking the approval of white people by striving to be recognized as the first Black.....whatever.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :11100:um, this happened in 1965....let it go

9. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +189
    I saw the post yesterday. I understand the mentality of why back then in 1965 but I dont understand it today. This mindset IMO is a hindrance to Black people freeing themselves mentally. I'm guessing the poster didnt even think about the significance of shining a spotlight on that particular action by Ms Jackson.

10. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    The poster of the pinterest item (don't often peruse pinterest, but since this is a topic of interest) has other items that can be seen in this "black history" collection:

https://www.pinterest.com/vman25/black-history

BLACK BEAUTIES TO KNOW AND LOVE: ACTRESS MARPESSA DAWN
    http://madamenoire.com/405362/black-beauties-know-love-marpessa-dawn/

Other pinterest posts that I found relative to the topic:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/493144227926548375
    [​IMG]

Also, seems the caption to the posting of Jennifer Jackson was written in chronological sequence, probably based on the article used to summarize the caption.

1. Did hair ads and modeling
    2. Runner-up for Ms. Chicago Land
    3. Was named playboy playmate and featured in 1965 magazine
    4. First black model to do Lady Clairol
    5. First black model to do KOOL cigarettes.
    6. Poster girl for the Ebony Fashion show
    They probably could have mentioned that she was a runner up for a beauty pageant and that she was in hair ads. This might not have been interesting as far as "history" though.

How would you describe the attention that you received from guys once you began working at the club?

The thing about that is, I never thought I was that pretty. Chicago had a lot of beautiful women, and for me to say that I was pretty? I was just there. There were so many other girls who were so much prettier than me. It’s just that a white man’s beauty is different from a black man’s beauty. I was tall and leggy — white men like that. Black men, on the other hand, liked the girls who were short and had what they called a “brick house body.” I didn’t get any attention from the brothers. They liked the little women who were short and shapely. So there was a different standard of beauty.​

So while everyone was celebrating you for breaking down the barrier as the first African American to pose for the magazine, you were actually ashamed?

I never looked at it like that. I guess I was the first​

Are you still ashamed about your past?

No, I’m not now. But you’ll be surprised. It depends on who you talk to. Most people really think it’s a big deal and say, “Jennifer, you should write a book.” Write a book about what?​

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List

Users found this page by searching for:

1. who was the first Black playmate

2. jennifer jackson

3. black girls white men destee.com