Black People : Why Is This Happening In Our Community?

RLS

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 24, 2005
Let's have some honest talk, not homophobic garbage.

HIV Infection Rate Among Blacks Doubles

By JEFF DONN, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - The HIV (news - web sites) infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites — stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world's chief scientific gathering on the disease.

"It's incredibly disappointing," said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS (news - web sites). "We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively."

Click Here To Read The Entire Article

< < < edited by Destee for the reason posted below > > >

RLS ... Hello and Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for sharing this information with us, but i am going to edit your post above, replacing the complete article with a link to it. Please review our forum rules, as what you did above is not allowed here.

If you have any questions, i'm right here.

Again, welcome ... and make yourself at home ... because you are.

:heart:

Destee

I applaud you for addressing this important topic, RLS. It's worried me for years the way the infection rate continues to rise in the black community. I think it has to do with a few things.

For one, the African-American community tends to be homophobic, and thinks this is a disease only gay people get. Fact is, transmission is high among many heterosexual groups, including black females.

Once there is an HIV infection, more black folk don't have medical insurance, so there is limited access to treatment.

All around it is a tragedy, because what is going to get done about HIV infection in minority communities with W in office? Nothing.

i agree gempis , it's a sad thing and a deeper growth in the black community
but the biggest question is what and how can we subside it (put a curb to it)
and become a more healther community these are some issues we need to
march on and get our Rep and congressmen to see and deal with not all this
over seas stuff and this war crap but what's going on in the U.S.

what will they do about it , your correct nothing ! it very sad because so many
don't have the health insurance to even get treated in America.

HIV and AIDS has brainstorm our communities and lives with no answers of yet .

Everyday I become more convinced that HIV was created in a laboratory. However roughly 20 years after the 1st public knowledge of this disease, we have learned many things about its modes of transmission. Ignorance is not something we can claim any longer. Blacks worldwide have the highest percentages of HIV infection (followed by Asian-Indians & Chinese). A large contributing factor to our infection rate is SELF DESTRUCTIVE behaviors in our community.

Regardless of how it came to be, it is known by most people that unsafe sexual practices increases the possibility of contracting this disease. Yet black people continue to have uncommitted & unprotected sex with multiple partners. This not only leads to high HIV infection rates, it also contributes to the high percentage of unwanted/unwed child births in our community. Indeed both patterns in our community are directly related!

It is also known that drug use & needle sharing contribute to HIV infection, yet black folk continue to shoot up. In the cases where we don't use needles, black folk proudly use other drugs like weed. When high we take risks that we wouldn't do normally. Thus while high, people engage in behaviors that put them at risk.

If we are going to limit or decrease the percentages of HIV infection in our community, then we have to change our sexual behaviors. There is no way to get around this fact. We also need to apply the knowledge that we have. In today's time only an idiot thinks that HIV only affects gays. To engage in unprotected sex with multiple partners is playing Russian Roulette with your life & those of your sexual partners. Whether one sleeps with women, men, or both...our community needs to behave more responsibily. If our current HIV infection rates continue...there may not be enough of us left, if a cure is ever discovered.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back