Black People Politics : Why Is the Black Unemployment Rate So High?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    In the Spirit of Politics,

Why Is the Black Unemployment Rate So High?

Last month, the unemployment rate for white Americans was 5.4 percent. For black Americans, it was more than twice that, at 11.5. Why?

Writing in The Guardian, Jana Kasperkevic points to a compelling theory advanced by Valerie Wilson at the Economic Policy Institute. Black unemployment is high, Wilson suggests, not only because black joblessness is high (for reasons well documented in Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent Atlantic cover story), but because black people are more resilient when it comes to sticking to their job search.

[​IMG]

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-black-unemployment-rate-high-171631652.html

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Part of it is that many of us don't have the skills needed to fill some of those jobs. The lower jobs have been taken, and a high school diploma won't get you any further that that. Now, an AA, and in some cases a BA won't do it because the job field has changed. I know for what I do, in today's climate a BA won't get your foot into most doors without experience. There is several things facing us that keeps this rate high. I know a few years back, if you was unemployed for more than two years, jobs were hiring you.

Peace!

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    The article makes a very profound and overlooked point also, our resilience to stick to job searches keeps our numbers high as well:

"... Wilson suggests, not only because black joblessness is high (for reasons well documented in Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent Atlantic cover story), but because black people are more resilient when it comes to sticking to their job search."

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Another point brutha Clyde is the environment for jobs. Here in Wa.state, transportation is lacking. And i know that a large number of factories, and industrial complexes are out in places where transportation isn't available. And if it is, the buses don't run 24/7. In fact, they've closed some routes. The employment office don't have enough computers to accommodate no more than 20 people at a time, and I think you get like one hour. I've seen the system, and when you have hundreds, if not thousands of people applying for the same job, you have to be strong enough to keep going. Do you have those places there where you're at that pay you the same day you work? We use to have them here.

peace!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    Sounds like we need Reparation checks, badly. Folk could buy cars and computers, yup!

6. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Part of it is that many of us don't have the skills needed to fill some of those jobs:toast:

This is the first thing that came to my mind.

7. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Coger do you believe that racism might have a part to play. I believe that most white family owned businesses...would rather employ white.
    Coger these statistics are staggering.:eek::(

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    Without a doubt, dunwiddat, its called systemic/structural racism, and its woven into the very fabric of America.

9. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    Could be that coupled with th fact many Companies are hiring from the inside.
    As far back a s I can remember working on any given job, I have been the minority.
    In some Companies of say over 100 employees we were thinly sprinkled about.
    I'm prob the only Brother in my entire Company, but I will say that I've gotten friends hired (well, one only) based pretty much off of my Boss asking my team if we knew anyone needing a job.

I can name around 3 companies that have asked the same if their employees.

Why not?

The worst that could happen is that the person you recommended didn't pan out, having a solid reference is key though, and so I think many Employers look at it as a safety net that goes hand in hand with the basic background checks they do.

Its probably case by case that they perform these checks.

I just say all that to say this, most of my previous jobs were staffed by employees who were either related, or came highly recommended by a friend.

Now, I'm just speaking from my line of work, cause out here in Co. we are like maybe 11 percent strong.
    Which goes back to the sprinkle here, and there in companies.
    Many of us are soo afriad of getting our skin folk on for fear that they'd make us look bad.

Not to drift too much but I had a Brother who I was giving an estimate for Electrical work, tell me I'd probably not get to do the job because I was a *****, and he rarely does business with his own race.

I was floored, pissed, hurt, and very offended.

However, that's how many of us feel,...we've heard horror stories about junebug and his shady business traits, have we not?
    Most of them are plain ole rubbish,... recycled Rehashed from someone from way back when who was done dirty.

Sorry for drifting...

But it may be too that other races see us as we may cause an issue.
    Get labeled as lazy, late for work, loud mouthed, angry etc...
    Ya know, I had this Mexican dude that i ran work with tell me in his broken english accent " it used to be where you could say im working and sweating harder than a Black guy, but

now?...pffft, you black guys dont even work"

Ive been told racist jokes too,
    One was " how do you starve a Black Man?, you hide his welfare check in his work boots"

So where AND WHY DO WE get these labels placed on US?

I used to think that white folks looked to further their own race and that was the main reasoning behind them not hiring outside there race,
    But anymore I don't see them as united as I had thought.

Some of the crazy dealings I know that go on? Oooweee!

But oh yeah, back to the numbers...
    I know from past experience
    Grinding dang near everyday can be extremely draing to one body, self confidence, ego, hearing day in and day out "thanks for stopping in, we'll call you"
    Or not at the time but you are encouraged to fill out an app, or to leave your resume." Or best regards bla bla bla, good luck out there" so after hearing that all week long, trying to keep positive, bills coming in, not just the bills but the FINAL NOTICE ONES, can make a Man want to drop off the face of the earth not feeling adequate to provide a living
    For himself, now add on walking into a place where you are thinking in youe head that they won't see past your skin tone and won't give two sh*ts that you are more than qualified for the job, but that they heard those same horror stories, and negative urban legends and will let theae cloud their minds.

So does the theory have any validity?, yeah it can, and does...
    But not everything is in Black and white
    (Pun intended)

Factor in having the complexion for the connection,
    Opportunities, employers being racial, or racist, prejudices,
    Determination, confidence, previous experiences from both the employer and employee, and a lot of these numbers may change drastically.

A sidw not too

Some employers may not even be tripping on race, but have workers that do, and hiring a Brother or Sister wouldn't be a good fit since some of their workers may tell racist, sexist jokes, and though its wrong weve hward them even laughed harder than anyone at it.

No one wants a lawsuit.
    Ole "git er done" billy is a great worker, and no use getting rid of him for a new comer who didn't even come recommended...

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    Excellent points, which tie in well with the problematic issue of structural racism, hiring from within.