Black People Politics : Why Is the Black Unemployment Rate So High?

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Politics,

Why Is the Black Unemployment Rate So High?

Last month, the unemployment rate for white Americans was 5.4 percent. For black Americans, it was more than twice that, at 11.5. Why?

Writing in The Guardian, Jana Kasperkevic points to a compelling theory advanced by Valerie Wilson at the Economic Policy Institute. Black unemployment is high, Wilson suggests, not only because black joblessness is high (for reasons well documented in Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent Atlantic cover story), but because black people are more resilient when it comes to sticking to their job search.

Why_Is_the_Black_Unemployment-1df59391feacc83f3b9496ed0ffe34cc

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-black-unemployment-rate-high-171631652.html

Part of it is that many of us don't have the skills needed to fill some of those jobs. The lower jobs have been taken, and a high school diploma won't get you any further that that. Now, an AA, and in some cases a BA won't do it because the job field has changed. I know for what I do, in today's climate a BA won't get your foot into most doors without experience. There is several things facing us that keeps this rate high. I know a few years back, if you was unemployed for more than two years, jobs were hiring you.

Peace!

The article makes a very profound and overlooked point also, our resilience to stick to job searches keeps our numbers high as well:

"... Wilson suggests, not only because black joblessness is high (for reasons well documented in Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent Atlantic cover story), but because black people are more resilient when it comes to sticking to their job search."

Part of it is that many of us don't have the skills needed to fill some of those jobs. The lower jobs have been taken, and a high school diploma won't get you any further that that. Now, an AA, and in some cases a BA won't do it because the job field has changed. I know for what I do, in today's climate a BA won't get your foot into most doors without experience. There is several things facing us that keeps this rate high. I know a few years back, if you was unemployed for more than two years, jobs were hiring you.

Peace!

The article makes a very profound and overlooked point also, our resilience to stick to job searches keeps our numbers high as well:

"... Wilson suggests, not only because black joblessness is high (for reasons well documented in Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent Atlantic cover story), but because black people are more resilient when it comes to sticking to their job search."

Another point brutha Clyde is the environment for jobs. Here in Wa.state, transportation is lacking. And i know that a large number of factories, and industrial complexes are out in places where transportation isn't available. And if it is, the buses don't run 24/7. In fact, they've closed some routes. The employment office don't have enough computers to accommodate no more than 20 people at a time, and I think you get like one hour. I've seen the system, and when you have hundreds, if not thousands of people applying for the same job, you have to be strong enough to keep going. Do you have those places there where you're at that pay you the same day you work? We use to have them here.

peace!

Sounds like we need Reparation checks, badly. Folk could buy cars and computers, yup!

Another point brutha Clyde is the environment for jobs. Here in Wa.state, transportation is lacking. And i know that a large number of factories, and industrial complexes are out in places where transportation isn't available. And if it is, the buses don't run 24/7. In fact, they've closed some routes. The employment office don't have enough computers to accommodate no more than 20 people at a time, and I think you get like one hour. I've seen the system, and when you have hundreds, if not thousands of people applying for the same job, you have to be strong enough to keep going. Do you have those places there where you're at that pay you the same day you work? We use to have them here.

peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back