Black People : Why is it considered "losing your culture/heritage" if you don't talk to other black people

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Quan Mitchell, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Quan Mitchell

Quan Mitchell New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me like a really big double standard.
    When an Asian doesn't talk to other Asians nobody says anything.
    When a Hispanic doesn't talk to other Hispanics nobody says anything,
    BUT, once a black man talks to more than 5 people of a different race, it's because he either hates himself, or he doesn't want to be black.

Isn't it kinda racist to say that if black people talk to others they are losing their culture? It's helping it by bringing new ideas in. Countries grew from doing that, in fact, Africa became a world superpower(a long time ago) by becoming friends and communicating with others(yes I'm aware Africa is a continent).

We put our black children in the same classes, day cares, clubs, teams, and churches as everybody else. Now we don't expect them to learn anything from that? I grew up in a 98% white community and ever since moving to the south I've been told I have "lost my culture".

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    According to you; but you are not privvy to all of their conversations over so many millennia, correct?

I suspect this is more of an exception than a rule. I would wager that Most Black people have White acquaintances simply by looking at employer status.

No. That's not remotely what racism is about. You should be above calling Black people racist.

Africa was not a world superpower because it made friends and communicated with others. That's a ridiculous notion.

Well, maybe you should understand what's being said. A White community doesn't teach the Southern Black Experience. The accusers in question are simply saying you missed out. How come you don't grasp that?

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

So you missed out on the Southern Black Experience, but you are alive and you are free to learn anything in this world. What will you choose to learn? Will that lesson benefit African people? These are the questions to move forward with.

Welcome to Destee.com. :)

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :qqb009:get ready for culture shock…..

4. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +666
    You can't lose something you never had.

It seems you are taking your own life experience and applying it as a general occurrence. I have never once heard a Black person say you are losing your culture/heritage if you talk or exchange with other people.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

sigh

Asians, hispanics and other races get talked about for not talking or associationg with their own. The same goes for people of the same neighborhood, country, region, etc. I think your view is both self serving and wrong

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Who is it that told you that you lost your culture by TALKING to people from other cultures?

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    CODEBLACK 2012 MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS...When Trayvon Martin was murdered, the country rallied to stand in solidarity. Even on the Senate floor, the call for justice was clearly visible. Wearing their Trayvon hoodies, our fearless leaders, Sen. Kevin Parker (L), Sen. Bill Perkins (M) & Sen. Eric Adams stood up to expose this grave injustice. They spoke for us, carrying our message from the streets to the HOUSE! That's wassup! Join us in saluting our visionary senators in repping us with power! Welcome to the evolution!
    [​IMG]

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    This post confused me. I'm thinking--Since when were there three Black Senators? These are State Senators . . . not Senators . . .. More, these are New York State Senators. But whatever. It's a good photo.

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Let me back up.

You said two different things so...

Why would you not talk to other Black people?

Verbal expression is our primary means of expression and many of our cultural traditions have been transferred, generationally, via Oral Tradition, so...

10. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I wanna know if they actually said you "lost your culture"...or did they say something else and you took it as such...