Black Atheists : Why is Athiesm your choice?

Discussion in 'Atheist Study Group' started by NyneElementz, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Greetings everyone.

While this is highly irregular, a Christian coming to you to ask this question, I'm simply curious. I promise no debating or judgment.

What made you decide to be an atheist?

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    For me, when I read something it has to make sense. Also giving me a non-answer like "you have to be a believer" didn't cut it. Christians pulling out all stops to show a contradiction is not a contradiction. Personal interpretation of what is clearly spelled out. For example..."god created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th" is clear as can be. Then Christians want to use that same old line without even knowing where it came from. The line is:"one day is equal to 1000 years with god". That line is in the book of revelations, which is after Christ has come back. That has nothing to do with the beginning.

Which brings me to my other gripe, and that is mixing and matching scripture to justify their ignorance of the bible. Another gripe is discounting cannons that went against what folks were trying to promote. The book of Enoch for example

HAVE BEGOTTEN A STRANGE SON
    And after some days my son, Methuselah, took a wife for his son Lamech, and she became pregnant by him and bore him a son. And his body was white as snow and red as a rose; the hair of his head as white as wool and his demdema (‘long curly hair’) beautiful; and as for his eyes, when he opened them the whole house glowed like the sun ...And his father, Lamech, was afraid of him and fled and went to Methuselah his father; and he said to him,

“I have begotten a strange son. He is not like an (ordinary) human being, but he looks like the children of the angels of heaven to me, his form is different, and he is not like us ... It does not seem to me that he is of me, but of angels..."

And last but by no means the least....I'm a Civil Eng, I deal in math. And on match along i can show and prove that the flood didn't happen. I can show that the Ark could not have been sea worthy. I don't need math for this. But if man was the wicked one, why kill all animal life? If god was omnipotent, he could have did away with the wicked and left the animals alone.

I mean you Christians do say that god is all powerful...don't you?

Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  3. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458
    Do you realize that most people that are religious did not choose to be of that particular persuasion, but rather the continent or area of the world that they were born that likely determines what religion or beliefs they will pursue. What does that tell you? No need to reply publicly, just think about that.
    No Religion? 7 Types of Non-Believers
    :snapoutofit:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Brutha crwn is correct. We didn't choose our particular religion, it was forced onto us first by yt, then he gave that responsibility to the pastors, who charged our parents with the job of bringing us to the slaughter.

11261683_1147909455237141_5191169849897571479_n.jpg

Peace!

5. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    I'd agree with you except one thing. Like this meme says, reading was taken away, right? So how was the words in the Bible forced upon us? Odd coincidence? I think not. I believe that the reason Christianity was "allowed," more accurately twisted, is because by disallowing reading, Christianity, back, then was whatever white slavemasters said it was. The Bible was not allowed to be read, either. Once slavery was over, however, we used the same book to establish cities, towns, counties, and were pretty prosperous. The Bible was used in both instances, only in one instance, we were "allowed" to read it, and the other instance, we read it by choice.

But alas, I didn't come here to argue a point. As I said, I'm curious.

6. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356

I'm well aware of this. Whether it was Islam, Ma'at. Bhuddism, or another religion, I'm well aware that some are defaulted because of the area. But the question was posed to athiests.

7. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    I find it odd that you blame every Christian for the ignorance of those you encountered as well as the manipulation of the Bible done by the Catholic Church. But with any difficult reading, making sense of it comes through study and giving yourself to the possibility of learning from it. Thus the response, you have to believe. Without giving yourself to the possibility of learning from it, it will never make sense to you. Before I became a Christian, my biggest gripe against the Bible was the victorian language, especially the unnecessay victorian conjunctions that made no sense. However, others made other versions to help. My favorite happens to be the Amplified. Reading that helped me tremendously. And no, it wasn't just the story of Yeshua (Jesus). So many principles for life building, maintaining health, financial success, and that this is a book of OUR origin. The Bible is a book of clues, or as a verse in Proverbs says, it is the glory of God to conceal a thing, and the glory of kings to find a thing out." Kings either study or seek help from one with knowledge. Speaking of knowledge, let's deal with some things you have issues with, since you did bring it up.

To me, this is quite obvious, though I admit, since I'm human, as we both are, we're also both subject to error. so I'll just tell you where my studies have led me.

This speaks of the lack of operation of time in the Spiritual realm. It goes back to the question: How old is God? No one knows. Time doesn't exist in the spiritual realm. What spirit do you know looks down at his watch to check the time? I don't know any. Time is an active concept that deals with the natural side of life, the physical realm. Time not existing in the spiritual realm does not render God incapable of affecting things in the natural. Trees grow according to specific instructions given to it by God. Each tree not hindered from following the instruction grows as instructed, and on time. Since God owns the earth (according to the Bible), he can move within it or without it as He wills upon anything without free will at will. With humans, because we have free will, by his own laws, can only act upon invitation. But when invited, even time is not a concept that can affect what he can or cannot do.

You did happen to make an error. You assume the statement reflects a time after Christ comes back. He has not yet returned. Revelations was written of a vision in the form of an allegory, from what I gather. That line was written to remind others that time does not hinder God. A plain example was in the book of Joshua, where Joshua calls uopn the sun and the moon to stand still while he fought a battle to secure victory over those who did not acknwoledge God. The line following the story was that there was no day like it before or after; clearly a relfection of what was written in Revelation. Again, that's where my studies led.

I hope this reveals to you by now that the reason you ran into ignorance is because you asked those who didn't study. Unfortunately, not a lot of us do study, using faith as an excuse, even in the face of the command to study.

As far as the contradictions, simple. The Bible itself was inspired by God, but was recorded by man. It can be a number of reasons, such as similarity in meanings of certain Hebrew words, an error in recording, manipulative changes in the cannonized version, etc. For instance, when King David took a census, there were two accounts of the same event, one saying God moved him to do so, the other saying the devil moved him to do so. What would you account it to, if not those?

As far as why the passage from the book of Enoch, perhaps Genesis 6:1-2 gives you a clue?

"When men began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born unto them, (2) the sons of God (angels) saw that the daughters of men were fair, and they took wives of all they desired and chose." (Amplified)

I'm pleased to know that you're a Civil Engineer and share in your pride of that accomplishment. But even so, you should know that math does not explain everything, nor does it cover everything. Verbally, if I asked you, "does two plus two equal four," you couldn't prove whether I mean "two plus two", "too plus too", "to plus to", "two plus too", etc. Math couldn't conquer, cover, or explain that. The only way you would know is to assume the context or if it were in plain display, as in this dialogue.

As far as why God made the decision to destroy everything at first, isn't it obvious? The choices of mankind and the effect of them on the ecosystem. Before Adam and Eve made the choice to eat the forbidden fruit, all creatures were herbivores. The fruit, storywise, is actually an allegory for the knowledge of evil. Before then, all mankind knew was to do good. Mankind's decision to know evil changed the entire planet, and made the choice available to all. When someone sells himself over to evil, destruction, racism, etc., that's a CHOICE! If someone sells himself over to good, that's a CHOICE! Man and woman kind were the ones in authority over the planet. As they chose, so would the world be shaped. They took in the influence of evil, and their decision spread worldwide, infecting all thngs in certain ways. The animals were also affected. Since they had no authority to resist this spiritual influence and were evil affected, they had to go as well. As for the ones in the "ark", I'm pretty sure God chose select ones to bear the chosen animals to repopulate the planet after its destruction was complete.

And as far as math proving that the flood didn't happen, didn't you quote the line from Revelation that a day is like 100 years with God? If such is the case, what makes you think you can mathematically prove that the flood didn't happen? The man made 6000 years biblical coverage theory? Please.

Aside from this, thank you for answering my original question. Believe it or not, I do feel you. If not for the encouragement to open my eyes to learn more from a patient pastor who himself studied for spiritual reasons, I would not have looked at the bible as more than just a story. Nor would I as easily forgiven other Christians of older generations who only had traditions of ceremonies and traditional speeches to fall back on. My intent in asking was pure curiousity. However, I undertsnad the hostility.

Peace.

8. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    And I find it odd that you Christians say that all non-believers are going to hell. I find it odd that you Christians say that the only way to heaven is accepting JC as your savior. I find it odd that just because a man/woman puts on a robe that you provide them a better life style than you have. And I find it really odd that in a black Christian's normal life, blacks built the pyramids and the Sphinx. Until these same blacks read a book that only 7,000 years old that says whites were hear first and we were made in the image of this man...

upload_2016-6-23_6-41-7.jpeg

And not this god....
    [​IMG]

Sorry, when something doesn't make sense...it just doesn't. Seven days is seven days, and why would you have to study to under stand simple English? You don't have to do the same when it said that god created the heavens and the earth, Adam and Eve, etc... You take it just how it's written. But things that you know are wrong is when many you Christians apply this comment.

Show me the ambiguity in these scriptures.

Genesis 1King James Version (KJV)
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 2King James Version (KJV)
    2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

What do you mean? I learned the samething you did, and that was that god created everything in 6 says and he rested on the seventh. Isn't that what it always taught? So how did I not learn from reading the bible?

You Christians make this statement when contradictions like this pop up....

Genesis 1King James Version (KJV)

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Which also was done again here:

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

I wondered when this was going to be said... May I ask who told you this?:10400:

Reason is the highest attribute of man. So if god was going to communicate with his creation, it would have to be thru his reason. SO it strikes me as being odd that he would write a book that conceals things and make us abandon all reason to understand it. The bible is this way because it was written by different people, with different opinions over a long period of time. Back then education was big, and the man that could read and write was almost seen as gods. Like Abraham, illiteracy of the people was his biggest ally. Being ignorance of science, he penned the book of genesis.

I do, I'm a spiritual being, aren't you?

Are these facts, or your opinion?

No, I didn't error in my comment, and the book of Revelations is after JC retruns.

http://biblehub.com/summary/revelation/1.htm

The Day of the Lord
    …7And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 8Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Now why use a passage that is meant for our final days, to explain something during the creation of the earth before man was created? This is said be Christians that want to expand the years of the bible from 7,000 years to a number to encompass the age of the earth which is 4.5 billion years old. Which is funny in itself.....thousands vs billions.

So you don't believe every one in the bible is true then? Are you aware of the full import of your comment here? Above you spoke as if JC is really coming back, but if it's allegory, that not going to happen....now is it? It's just a story with a moral meaning.

Again, your opinion. If that is the case, why not put the book of revelation in the front, or middle if chronology is not a factor?

I agree, many Christians do read anything outside of the bible. Or listen to anyone that speaks against it.

The left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Everybody wanting a take on the same thing, on but we can find more obvious contradictions that this one.

Who is the father of Joseph?
    MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Or will a deeper understanding of the bible explain why Joseph has two different fathers?

:11300:ooooo that would work but you have this that ruins it.

Genesis 6King James Version (KJV)

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
    9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

So here god sees Noah as an un-corrupted man which differs from the book of Enoch which paints him a non-human.

When it comes to the Noah tale it does.
    Yes I can.....:10300:

preposition: plus
    with the addition of.

noun
    short for plus sign. meaning this sign +

Now.....

ad·di·tion
    əˈdiSH(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: addition; noun: addn.
    the action or process of adding something to something else.

So yes......."does two plus two equal four," is correct....and "two plus two" is also equal to 4, which makes you correct again...

Now....

"too plus too", "to plus to", "two plus too" is incorrect grammar, and you know it. They have no numerical meaning like (2) or (two). One means also, and the other means a destination/direction.

I just did, and I didn't need any dialog. All one has to do it look at the word itself and know what you mean. For example...Two means this (2) or one thing plus another. You're beginning to trip over your feet trying to defend that book of lies...

So eventhough it is said that god is all powerful, and there is nothing he can't do. He didn't have the power to fix this without destroying everything? Why didn't he destroy the entire planet? Look at what you said in blue:
    Are we back tracking on what I've highlighted in green? Why was god able to cleanse these animals but not the rest?:thinking:
    Like I said...you're tripping over your own feet.

No, I showed you the quote that Christians use to try and prove the bible is older than 7,000 years. If you don't know by now, I don't believe in god or that book of lies.

And did you just ask me to explain....and it's not even my birthday. I do an easy one....

Zoologists have identified over about million species of animals.
    http://www.amnh.org/ology/features/askascientist/question21.php

But I'm going to be generous and cut this to 1million.

Genesis 6King James Version (KJV)
    19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Now if this was true, approx. 11 pairs would have to enter one door in less than a second. 0.6 seconds to be exact. Now does this seem doable?

You're still guilty of the samething you are blaming them for.

What if I told you that Christianity was invented like all religions, and it's actually Paganism...

You mean you understand that this religion is not ours and it's was and still is being used to mentally keep us enslaved? If this is true, why are you still believing in a white god, and a book that says whites came before us?

Peace!

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Now I find this hard to believe...what do you think folks make threads for. If this was the case them there shouldn't be any rebuttal from you except "that you for your input.".

Peace!