Black Spirituality Religion : Why I speak on blacks and retards

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by karmashines, Jun 29, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    When I was in the psych ward psychiatrists assumed I was retarded for no other reason than my husband was Korean.

I was a GOOD MOTHER AND WIFE before I visited this site. Now, I must think weird spirituality has put my brother in danger. Trying to be more black... trying to avoid being a 'tom' has ******ed me up big time.

I am not a retard for those here who might be using Kemetician theology for evil. I will NOT take spiritually or physically someone harming my brother.

You harm my brother who is retarded physically or spiritually, you will not like the consequences.

I am going to change my avatar so some of the fools on this site can see I REALLY DO have a retarded brother!

AND YES, I AM VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE OF KEMETICIAN THEOLOGY AND ATRS (AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGIONS).

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    the definition of retard today is limited to the physical/mental capabilities of a person compared to the rest of the population(so-called "Standards"/conditionings) but in reality the "retarded" people have more common and uncommon(in a good way ie how to treat people) sense than those with all the power in the world today........

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i think that it is insensitive to call your brother a retard(just my 2 cents)...moreover karma...no one on this site is out to get u...just be happy with who and what u are and everything else will fall in line...we all have differences of opinions at times...but that is all that it is...a difference of opinion...and for the record...i use the term mentally disabled because one of my friends from high school was hit by a car and is now m.d....they deserve more than being called a retard...

one love
    khasm

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Sister Karmashines:

Do you believe there is any difference in being labeled 'mentally retarded', and being labeled 'developmentally delayed'? If so, how would one/you distinguish the two terms?

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    sister, your posts are not making any sense. no one would try to harm you.
    it is sad that you are feeling this way.

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Very true!

7. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    I think that it is insensitive to call your brother a retard(just my 2 cents)...moreover karma...no one on this site is out to get u...just be happy with who and what u are and everything else will fall in line...we all have differences of opinions at times...but that is all that it is...a difference of opinion...and for the record...i use the term mentally disabled because one of my friends from high school was hit by a car and is now m.d....they deserve more than being called a retard...

one love
    khasm

I agree with brotha khasm wholeheartedly. and sista spicy. we must do away with the title "retarded" which brings about negative connotations.

I feel you very much on this. I have a cousin, developmentally challenged, but so full of love and delight, that the whole neighborhood watches out for him. These special people deserve our love and support. I truly respect you, karma, for what you do and the love you share for your brother.

If someone brought that point in here, then that is their evil. but you have nothing to explain here. I understand the differences in religious systems here can leave some with cruel judgements, and some rather negative comparisons...(ive been on the end of that beating also), but it's not about them, it's really about devotion to the religion you choose.....and what you do in life away from the computer.....

please dont let this stress you. you are blessed for what you share with your brother.

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    DIScernedly ABLEd

:hearts4: May I Listen, Karmashines? :hearts4:

now, i ain't gonna claim to be no "perpheshanal psicko-the-rapist", but i will stake claim to being a caring, listening Human!! may i Listen in an effort to allow you to bounce your frustrations off a wall so that you can see them? (that's all a psycotherapist does, actually!)

fact is, i got to so wonderin about why i don't fit into none of the preconceived perceptions of what i am supposed to be that i voluntarily turned to the mental heal ... the mental death ... the profess... uh ... "them" ... to try to find out why i didn't fit.

here i'm thinking that there is something wrong with me, and they turn around and, while not ever never completely no way helping me to deal with me, put me to work doing their task ... and got pissed because their clie ... pat... er - ("we"(*) MUCH prefer the term "consumers/survivors/ex-patients of psychiatric services", thank you very much!!) were paying so much attention to me that they were actually starting to come to life again!! nope, didn't "heal" or "fix" none of ... well, that ain't exactly true; they were still the human beings that they started out as, with the same chemical mix that they started out with, but they began to realize that they could, in fact, come to an understanding of who/what they were and Be Them Self - living and loving all the "warts" that make them Them. no, they didn't look like everybody else, nor did they act like everybody else, but, just like everybody else - they figured out that they could be just as viable, just as vital and just as valid, in their own unique way, as all the other unique everybody elses! just like YOU! :terrific:

one of the "benefits" of a therapist is that they are not directly invested in one's life. because of that, they have no "agendas" or "expectations" of one. nor are they "too close" to be able to actually Hear what is being said. having no pre-knowledge of one, they are less likely to talk about "that ain't like you". shoot, don't this sound like a wonderful "definition" of what a Friend can/should be? :hearts2:

Let me Listen, Sister? :callme:

(*)after almost ten years of advocacy on behalf of C/S/X and the DIScernedly ABLEd, as well as the preceeding 6 years as an advocate for the homeless, i will still much rather "identify" with either camp than with so-called "normies": the "rest of you".